Agnostic.com

40 3

Does the thought of living forever almost terrify you when you really think about it?

This was something I really was thinking about today. It may sound cool at first, but when I really got to think about it, it would really be frightening. To just live forever and ever with no end. I would think at some point every living thing needs to have closer eventually. Idk maybe it is just me.

EmeraldJewel 7 Dec 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

40 comments (26 - 40)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It would mean spending eternity watching everyone and everything you care about, wither and die.

The idea of living forever is one of the things that literally did terrify me when i believed it as a pre-teen, coerced christian Heaven is what scared me most. Depressing organ music and and a suit and tie for eternity. More nianced, pseudointellectual ideas of heaven i heard later on had no pull for me, because i had by then discovered logic.

To quote Woody Allen: "I'm not afraid of death; I just don't want to be there when it happens."

I have considered this thought on many occasions.Would I if I got the chance? Yes! But I realize that there would be a lot of down sides to it. Especially losing every one you ever knew! BUT! The ability to live for ever, to learn and observe the advancement of mankind, space travel, technology, watching religions finally dying! The greatest aspect would be to have the time to learn everything! There ould always be something to learn.

I never even thought about that. You just made a good point and I now have a change of mind ha ha!

Think of the boredom

If I can have a new body every few years it would be okay for the first million years, I guess.

I think that if it were possible to live forever, I might want an "opt out" option.

I just look at history and peole today, and think if this lasted forever, and I had to experience it, I'd want a way out. History is not pretty

Sounds good at first but on further refection I think it would become nightmarish. We only have one life. Realising that we only have a certain time to exist puts 'zest' into life. Makes us appreciated thihgs all the more. Once you're dead , you don't know your dead because there's no one there anymore to know anything. That doesn't bother me at all. It's the dying process I don't like to think about.

When I think about nano-technology, no. It excites me. When I think about where we are socially and culturally, it makes me suicidal.

Yeah. Historically people have treated each other, for the most part, like shit. To have to witness that for eternity is my idea of a kind of hill.

I don't think that everyone has the desire to live forever...I think to some it is not really a pleasant prospect considering that everyone you love would eventually die and they would live on.

I do not think that we live , or exist forever. It is an easy concept to accept: You did not exist prior to conception, and birth. You will return to the same state of non existence when you die. no big deal.

Oh, yes.

That is what I want

Yes. @azzow2 i agree with you.

I had an "experience' in 94, freaked me out. let's say a "visitation".....it's a long story. I get very. lonely at times....just found this sight. I think it's great. Anyway, we are "forever" creatures whether we like it or not. I could talk about this shit for hours, nobody believes me though, The problem is with "forever" is that it is a word of this dimension. "Eternity" only works in this dimension, it is a linear expression, and time is "of this dimension. When we go back into the light, die, go home, we go WHERE THERE IS NO TIME!!!.,...,.that drudgery is over with. That's why it so beautiful in the next world. And NO.....I don't want to be in this world forever, I'm tired and ready to move on. This world is too violent and it's getting crazy out there, just look at Donald Trump. What a nut job.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:7861
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.