Agnostic.com

14 4

What does your in-laws think about you being agnostic?

We went to my wife's sisters home for a week. My brother in law said look how majestic these cliffs are. God really made his mark here. I told him it was just natural erosion with a lot of help from ice. He kind of looked at me. I said I don't believe in god. During the big feast he turned red before he blessed the food. I just went along with it. I felt he was nervous that i may step aside or make a sceen. Hmmm... I didn't push it. That was good.

BucketlistBob 8 Dec 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I just avoid the subject ,I do not want to cause any drama

when I was married my father in law was a Unitarian minister

...guess it could be worse..

Agnostic is an atheist who lacks the courage to admit it.

Ive heard that... from very intelligent people too.

In my opinion, if a true agnostic exists, he has to buy into Pascal wager.

All Christians make an effort to convince me, I am wrong

No present in-laws for me. Just lucky I guess ...

I don't have in-laws. My family doesn't agree with me. They tolerate me. We don't talk about religion. My aunt still prays and has me hold her hand at the table. I do it out of respect for the believer.

Me too...????

She's dying. I don't need to have her mad at me.

They never accepted me even though I did everything to please them for my wife. My wife is also an atheist but the parents never knew for our children's sake. Thankfully my children and their children have all found atheism acceptable. The funny thing is my grandson is in college at a Catholic University and was required to take a religion course. His professor wanted him to major in religion because of his participation. He came home and stated no way could he accept all this mumbo jumbo. Needless to say I was very proud of him!

They don't need to know. They dislike me enough already, knowing what they do...

Zster Level 8 Dec 12, 2017

When I was married my father in law told me he used to be (I'll never forget how he phrased it) "agnostic as hell" but AA beat god into his head. He did stay sober for 20+ years though.
I never bothered to tell anyone what I believed because it never came up, so I didn't rock that boat.

Sad to say he died not long after his daughter and I divorced, he was a great guy.

Mine tell me they pray for me all the time......

My mother in law is a diehard baptist Christian, and she loves me. It won't sound like it the way I describe it, but she does. Anytime she comes over to visit the first thing she does is call out to me by saying, "where is that devil son-in-law of mine" She gives me a big hug and kiss on the cheek, and when my mother-in-law leaves she says come give a kiss goodbye devil boy. She then hits me lightly on the leg with her cane, saying "tell the devil I'll be coming for him and you too. We say our goodbye, and we never discuss her beliefs.

...what did they think 🙂 They realized I was high octane, thus accepted about anything. My wife had been ‘chosen’ in part due to her lack of a god belief, so most of her relatives were the same.

I’d say the only real concern came with children, which I understand. But they supported our lack of beliefs, and it went pretty well. Never had any serious discussions, though ...other than a bro in law who’d insist we head off to his truck to smokeout … with good conversation 😉

Varn Level 8 Dec 12, 2017

They know that I am not a believer, and they accept and respect me as a person and member of the family. We do not discuss it. In fact, in many ways I feel closer to them than to my sister and remaining cousins.

Mine hated it. They are now my ex in-laws so they can keep on hating it.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:7902
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.