Agnostic.com

13 3

Do You Celebrate Holidays / Why or Why Not?

I don't generally celebrate most holidays; I have a mini rant about why:

"If you take away the supernatural aspect of almost any holiday they're about showing others around you that you appreciate them and care about them. If I care about you I try to make it known and you don't need a special day for it... and if I don't care about you then I'm not wasting my time and energy on you just because society says I'm supposed to."

I'm curious what everyone else does or doesn't do for holidays. ?

WhatsInAName 6 May 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I love some holidays, especially Christmas. Though even when I was religious, raised catholic until I stopped believing in fairytales around the age of 15, I never really cared about the religious aspect of it. I was more interested in the happy cozy feelings of love and humanity that are so rarely otherwise seen in today’s world. Since I realized I was atheist, I have never stopped enjoying the beauty of the December holidays, seeing family, enjoying festivity and frivolity, the lights the music - to borrow from Billy Joel, forgetting about life for a while.

Until now, that my wife has decided to become a Jehovah’s Witness, which means that our family doesn’t celebrate it any more, as to them it is an affront to their god.

I think it all comes down to how we think about things. Halloween to me isn't about history or ghosts and witches - it's about Candy and taking pictures of the grandkids in their costumes. Thanksgiving to me is about family and turkey sandwiches - two of my most favorite things. I tend to not be too deep and so I tend to focus more on the benefits and the effort I'm going to put into the occasion than I do anything else. That being said, it is important to let your loved ones know you love them the rest of the year and that can be done while also celebrating the holidays.

Why not take part in the fun I do not need to believe in it just have fun and no one will even notice.

I'm up for any celebration as long as it involves, singing, dancing, eating and debauchery.

right.

I enjoy celebrating a variety of holidays.

I didn't celebrate anything before I had kids. Kids change it all - they like holidays, and for them, the whole "We don't celebrate because god is bullshit" aspect of atheism makes no sense. They just want to have fun. So, we celebrate a little bit of everything.

Both my wife and I are ethnically Jewish, so we do some of the Jewish holidays, but also Xmas, Thanksgiving, and of course, the more secular holidays like Halloween and 4th of July.

Keep jesus out of xmas (and jehovah out of hanukkah), and everything is fine

Depends on the holiday.
Memorial day, both solstices, and equanoxsis.
4th of July,
Others that we might get invited to a party for.

Some of them.

i enjoy life when i feel like it

I don't really celebrate holidays, for similar reasons you mentioned. I show the people around me that I appreciate them at various times during the year and resent having the expectation of special treatment on certain days. I do enjoy some of the festivities, especially for the sake of children, but the older I get, the happier I am to leave all that to others.

I haven't celebrated holidays since I got divorced. I figured I was there everyday for my son, so there was no reason to go nuts few days of the year trying to buy his love.

My ex OTOH was the kind of father who never paid child support and rarely used his visitation time except for holidays when he would insist on having him and would not pay his bills to have money to buy an overabundance of presents.

Me, my athiest brother and my athiest dad get together on Christmas every year. We talk and laugh. We eat and exchange gifts. We have fun and make warmth in middle of the cold.

No. But I like seeing lights and stuff.
Maybe I like celebrating that others are celebrating.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:79070
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.