Agnostic.com

51 3

Why are you still on Facebook?

I deleted my Facebook account about 6 years ago. The reason had nothing to do with thinking it was an evil site or anything like that, but in light of all the political manipulation and data mining scandals, I do think it's a pretty evil site and I really don't understand why more people haven't dumped it. Why are you still on Facebook?

Hermit 7 May 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

51 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Well, I like Facebook.
My compadres and extended family are there.

Family and friends.

My family uses it - and they communicate a lot with Facebook Messenger. I like to stay in touch and it's an easy way to reach a lot of them.

Just family. Mom, brothers, sisters, nieces and nephews. That's it.

Messenger

Dumped it now. FB free here.

i've been on there so long i'd hate to get rid of it... it's been over 10yrs
my facebook page is
facebook.com/myname
if you substitute 'myname' for my real name

I haven't deleted my account but I don't use it any more I still have contacts there.

It has one of the few decent instant messengers left, that mainly why I use it.

I never have nor ever will use Farcebook.

I’m still connected to FB because of my mom and my business. She loves that she can stay more connected than my monthly phone calls. I just have too many business connections on it too.

If it weren’t for those I’d be gone.

Swade Level 4 May 15, 2018

I’ve been on it since about 2008 and barely look at it these days. I originally signed on because I heard it was a good place to promote my music projects and band gigs. It is indeed good for that type of advertising. The biggest mistake I made was accepting friend requests from people that had seen me out playing that I didn’t know. That’s a great way to bring on the drama. Half the people I have friended have been unfollowed within a day or two. In 10 years time I’ve managed to keep my friends list at about 500 with about a third of those hidden in my feed. Facebook in the Bible belt can be a real chore. People screaming for their prayer warriors all day long for anything and everything.

Many organizations that I belong to use Facebook private groups in place of web pages or as a ay to communicate general info. Many of my friends and family members post regularly so I can easily keep up with them. I do not use Facebook for private communications and never post my location.

That's a separate world for relatives and home town friends.... Its a different need

I use it to keep in contact with friends and family, less than 50 contacts, all is blocked except direct messages from them.

I was also put on by a friend who imputed all of my info incorrectly. I don't converse with 90% of them and would care too. Having traveled overseas during the past 6 years since retiring have I found it useful to some extent. The person of concern has cancer and I believe that when she passes that I will wander off for sure.

I was on Facebook for about a year because of my friend's persuasion but I never saw any benefits to it so I wouldn't do it again. Also, too much information up for grabs. However, I know several people who live and breathe by it.

It's an easy way to read about world affairs ( not all are factual....lol... ) & keep in touch with family & people who are interested in the same hobbies as I am & from all over the world...However, sometimes I do get the same feeling as I & most people do when passing a bad auto accident on the road.... You just cannot help wanting to look at the carnage for yourself, no matter if what you see horrifies you, you must look anyway.... I think that's I keep looking at it....I am weighing keeping it in my mind after the recent revelations....

Originally I was there to let old friends know how to stay in touch with me. But probably 98% of the time I'm there for newsfeeds about sports teams, bands, music genres, hobbies,social causes and links to legitimate news sources like the New York Times.

What @SkotlandSkye said, only not so many business pages. =]

Good question. I am the of a couple of Alumni + FB is the only way I have to stay in touch with some people. There are those who do not do email, believe it or not. Don't get me wrong, though, I often hate FB with a white-hot passion.

The only thing l use FB for is to keep up with my friends around the country and to keep up with activities going on in my community.

I only interact within the closed groups in - atheism, absurdism, music - one in particular for ten years with other members of equal duration that I helped administer in its early stages.
My only "friends" are from those same groups so there's no clutter.

i am on facebook because friends and family are, because i get a lot of political news there which i then verify, because i know how to do that and i CAN tell the difference, because i am a writer and i've built up a large audience there, and because i like it.

g

BTW Twitter on the other hand is about universally worthless, never had an account never will.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:80482
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.