Agnostic.com

121 15

Are atheist as racist as religious people?

In my life I have found that more prejudice and racism has come from Christian people. Ironically I was told to not be "unequally yoked together with non-believers." Well, those are the very people who treated me as an equal human being.

Thoughts?

Rideauxb 7 Oct 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

121 comments (51 - 75)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Personally I think it's within the capacity of a person with any religion, race, gender etc to act as such. Now I do also think that certain cultures and groups; region specific, are more likely to be racist too. Generally it seems the bigger collective usually falls into such rationale.

There’s bad people in all, but I have noticed lots of religious people seem to ha e a racist view of things. I once knew a woman who would brag to her other white friends about the joys of being white because God’s chosen people were the white Jews. Kid you not. What I absolutely hated about the Bible is how it supports Alavert and even goes into detail about how you should treat them, calling them property.

I’m not sure that religious people have a monopoly on racism.
Yes religious people are more obvious about it because anything that is not according to their belief system or what their book or rules say, is cause for jumping up and down in a hissy fit. It is also a cause for proclaiming they are better than people who are ‘different’ from them, be it race, colour or creed.
But there are also people out there who maybe because of upbringing, education, talents; quite apart from religious influence or belief; who consider they are better than others. Or who because they have white skin, or live in an economically stable society, or even because they speak english, believe that their race is far superior than any others.
It is these people who are unable to perceive that difference has nothing to do with superiority/ inferiority. It is biology, genetics, an abundance of sun or lack of it that dictates what others see on the surface.
What is important is who we are inside and are we able to adjust our pre-conceived notions and accept love and friendship from whatever quarter.
Anyway, as I sure you all agree life would be extremely boring and not nearly as rich if we were all the same. Just remember this comment comes from someone who thrives on change and difference.

Atheists aren't really racist? Why would you compare the racist Christian scum to them?

I've never met a racist non-believer. But, I have met many racist Religious people.

Racism isn't determined by religion who makes you better than those who don't follow yours. But it helps. I believe in freedom of association, be that the intoxicated(drunk), racial heritage, religion, sex etc. Any belief that segregates you from your fellow human beings (heaven/hell, white/ coloured, cith/trans) is not a good idea.

Atheists are as everything as religious people. They are as good, they are as bad. They are as racist, they are as inclusive. Stupid theists really have nothing on stupid atheists.

Hint. The minute you think you're better than someone else because of anything other than what you do, you're doomed.

Speaking for myself only, as someone who is looking for a partner , I would say more So in some ways. perhaps it's not racism, but I'm guilty of over generalizing african American and hispanics/latino men. I find most of them too religious, traditional and family oriented for me. Perhaps it's just negative experiences ive had with them on dating sites.

I've met racist atheists, many (too many unfortunately) misogynist atheists, dumb atheists too. Being atheist doesn't guarantee being well-rounded, or smart

I'm rarely disappointed by fellow atheists but on the rare occasion a racist atheist is met I question their ability to analyze facts and their ability to logically think

In terms of inherent bias, I do feel that atheists are just as racist. However, they are more likely to view that bias with a critical eye and make more appropriate determinations as to the cause of said bias.

I have never met an Atheist racist. I'm sure they are out there but I have never even seen any sort of racist comments from an atheist on social media. There are reasons for this I believe. Atheists question just about everything. We tend to be skeptical and rational.

Religion despises rational thought and encourages group think. It also teaches exclusivity, that is only x group is enlightened. This easily sets up racial, ethnic, and cultural divisiveness.

I have a strange since of humor. The other day racism came up in a conversation with my son's friend. I wanted to illustrate how stupid racism was. So I told him in our family we do not judge people on the basis of race or ethnicity....just the color of their skin. He laughed and understood the lesson. It's all stupid no matter how you put it.

My experience with religious people has been that they are very racist. That's another thing that turned me off about church. I was talking to the preacher of a church I used to go to, and he actually used the "N" word to describe a black man who had been beaten and dragged behind a pickup truck. I couldn't take the preacher seriously after that. I know that one preacher doesn't represent all preachers, but it's just a sample of what I see around me.
The atheists I've been around are pretty inclusive, and fair minded.

I would think that, by our nature, ie the open mindness that led us to become atheist, would also leave us less racists.

godef Level 7 Dec 23, 2017

Yep. Can't add more to what's already been said other than -- I completely agree. ????

hi September. it's refreshing to see another AA womun on this site who is nontheist. Just taking a leap of hope here--i'm quite sure you know what it's like to exist in the AA community and be a non believer in an "invisible sky daddy. so it is refreshing to me to see your beautiful brown face on this site.

@mscee65 It can be difficult, for sure. My place of business is predominantly populated by people of color. I don't discuss my non belief unless the subject comes up and, good grief, you'd think I nailed Jesus to the cross all over again. 🙂
I usually end the conversation with: I don't insist that you NOT believe in a Higher Power; why do you insist that I do?"

@SeptemberWoman Girl, I feel ya. I've lost folks who used to say they were my friends, but I learned that they really were not. I got no 'love' from sisters on my jobs, but hey they did not know why they believed in something outside themselves as being real. I would always tell them: please continue your belief, i'm not tryna change you, so please don't let my confidence, warmth, sincerity and respect for you frighten you. I am who I am and just because one believes in something unseen does not make it real. I usually would say this because confusion is where most beleivers operate and feel comfortable--I find this a lot w//my own.

I am glad to see you on here. I can relate to "...nailed Jesus to the cross." being notheist is the happiest I've ever been. I feel so free, alive and unhindered. look forward to more convers w/you. there is a site called Black Humynists [spelling humanist] if I recall that is the address. Unfortunately, for many AA's who are unconscious nontheist, they don't know that they don't know. it's kinda sad.

I'd love to answer with an unqualified 'no', but I've met some mighty bigoted atheists. Atheism is amoral. When someone says they are an atheist, all they have revealed about themselves is that they don't subscribe to a belief in a god. They've said nothing about their stance on morality, ethics, or even rationality. That having been said, I do believe that--in this country at least--atheists tend to be far less racist on the whole than do believers.

I think the more educated we are the more inclusive we become. I do what I can to include everyone I meet and like, no matter what background they come from.

I think that any type of culture that teaches one to accept anything told them as a hard truth, regardless of the facts, is more likely to believe such notions. I could be wrong, but I do feel religious people have more of a cultural tendency to be racist than non-religious.

Even math expands and we (not I I mean humans) find new things that didn't make sense before. I still stand by 2 + 2 = 4 though.

I have met racist theists, liberal theists and everything in between. I'll let other atheists speak for themselves, but I'm sure the same could be said of our community.

But as the white mom of a multiethnic child, I can say I've found intolerance, if not out right racism to be all too prevalent in all walks of American society.

I am sure there are fanatics on the extreme end of every spectrum. Talking to many non theists, I have found many not to be racist and more open minded in accepting things, not so quickly to judge like most religious people because they are brain washed to think like that. The bible has got to be one of the most bigoted, racist, judgemental books out there so if xians follow that, then they tend to be more racist in their beliefs.

If anything, I've found that atheists are a lot less likely to be racist (or even very judgmental in general). They are usually people who have the ability to think things through and not leap for the first convenient answer...I believe this results in atheists being more open-minded and accepting of differences in others...To put it another way, I doubt that there are many atheists at KKK rallies

Not in my experience, no. I'm sure there are some out there though.

Racism is not entirely linked with racism. Some atheists and agnostics are still quite racist.

Do you mean racism isn't always linked religion.?

@epicurus56 ies. Thank you for pointing out my error.

By statistics no but then again racism is very high among the blind(that seems ironic doesn't it?). In Australia where I'm from the Census dipped Christians all the was way down to 52% total, Catholics at about 32% of that which are the least willing to change area of mainstream Christianity. Next 'religious group was Islam as 2.5%. Though after Christian about 30% ticked non-religious. That number used to be 60 and then 90% years before that. People are protective of their group, so if you're out to 'get' Christians you're after the majority and maybe these non-believers are trolls. I think there should be freedom unless it impedes another's freedom and your religious or lack of religious belief shouldn't matter.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:807
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.