Agnostic.com

24 8

Any Johnny Cash fans? What’s your favorite song(s)?

I have about 6 hours of his music on my old iPod. I think my favorite is his duet with June “Jackson.” I love the version off the Folsom Prison album where he tells her he likes the way she talks and she says “I’m talking with my mouth!” Lol.

I also love “Long Legged Guitar Picking Man” with June.

I actually saw he and June about 1997.

Marcie1974 8 May 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

24 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Since everybody keeps mentioning it:

...whoa, this just fucking levelled me...

Right?

This...this right here is the difference between a performer and an Artist.

I feel his pain in this. Truly moving

I think he did some great covers. Rusty cage, personal Jesus, Hurt, ++

I prefer the rougher material from his own music. With some nice stories in the lyrics. Cocaine blues, boy named Sue, solitary man, San Quentin, Folsom brison blues, ++

vsh76 Level 5 May 15, 2018

Oh yes I love the covers from when he worked with Rick Rubin. Some move me to tears. Yes, I'm sappy.

The man had a powerful voice, and led a damned interesting life. I'm not a big country fan, but classic artist like Johnny Cash not only transcend genre, but are timeless as well.

Yes, 'Hurt' on his last album. The most soulful l ever heard him sing. I saw him in a small bar in Louisville in 1967. He had just come out of rehab, and looking frail, but he was still terrific.

Use to be ...
Watch "Johnny Cash - Sunday Morning Coming Down" on YouTube

I guess it still is...

Hurt even though its not by him is my favorite.

I play guitar in a rockabilly band. We do Folsom Prison, Cocaine Blues, Ring of Fire, and Stripes.
I love a lot of his work, so to throw a slightly less common choice, i'll say "The Highwayman".

I'd love to be able to play these songs on guitar. I get about 15 minutes of trying to learn and get frustrated to the point I start thinking about selling my guitar :/

I love rockabilly....is there a stand up bass in the band?

Yes, we have stand up bass on stage about half the time. The other half, he's wandering through the crowd or behind the bar, lol.

Ok, not a huge fan of the genre, HOWEVER, JC has some cool, and very singable songs. I like to "sing" Karaoke and think I do a decent job with some of his songs, like Folsom Prison Blues and Orange Blossom Special. Enjoyed Joaquin Phoenix in his film as well. =]

I think most people that don't like country do like JC, or at least respect the impact he made.

Hurt

MarkF Level 5 May 15, 2018

That's the one that brings me to tears!

Also a favorite, but I liked the Nine Inch Nails version too and miss the fact that Trent will never do it live now.

I used to play "Ring of Fire" over and over on the jukebox at an old dive bar I went to in Detroit, but I think his version of "Hurt" is my fave. It's beautiful but painful and just rips your heart to shreds.

dkp93 Level 8 May 26, 2018

Sunday Morning Sidewalk is my favorite Cash track. But there are so many classics credited to the Johnny Cash library.

"Sunday Morning Coming Down", that's a great one!

@cmadler, my fave of his also.

Even though it wasn't written by Johnny, the song 'Hurt' is hands down my favorite. Trent Reznor wrote and performed it, but when he heard Johnny sing it, he told the Cash man he could have the song.

Not a big U2 fan but:

What is Truth

I love Johnny Cash. To me, this is one of his most touching performances - and speaks to the events of today as it did on the day he first performed it. Listen to his introduction, and feel the hurt, the anger, and the empathy that comes from this song. This is an unpolished and raw initial performance of the Man in Black.

Ohub Level 7 May 27, 2018

I have a weird fondness for Melva's Wine. An obscure old track my Mum had on cassette, that I used to listen to again and again when I was maybe 10. It's a sweet story.

There are many songs that I like by JC who was an American icon!

I grew up with Johnny Cash music all around me and he was so popular with me that I played his songs sometimes even during my last marriage. My Kenya ex-wife learned to identify Johnny Cash music in the first 5 musical notes of a Cash song.
Overall our music interests were varied and still are.

Almost anything I hear Johnny do is good to great. Jackson, Ring of Fire and the list goes on forever. I sometimes put You-Tube videos of his concerts and they play all day long. The album - Mean as Hell is little known I think but fantastic.

I walk teh line
Ring of fire
If I were a carpenter
Jackson

jacpod Level 8 June 15, 2018

Rusty cage is good, too.

Delia, oh Delia, my favorite Cash song. He did so many religious tunes that it can be difficult finding the good secular ones.

Absolutely

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:81918
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.