Agnostic.com

27 10

Do you value empathy?

How important do you think it is for members of society to have empathy? Can society survive without it?

MagRat 5 May 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

27 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Empathy and politeness are the glue that holds society together.

Look around, with that in mind, and the world we're living in makes a little more sense in its senselessness.

I am an empath. It can be exhausting and I often neglect myself. However, it is a quality I value in myself and others.

Ditto on this...

@SallyMc I assume you are referring to “The Hormone Guide?”

It is my understanding that the post was meant in jest. As in he doesn’t really feel that way about women. I’ll be the first to admit I’ve posted similar memes about men.

I do consider myself a feminist in that I want to be paid and treated equally. That being said, I do have a very good sense of humor. I don’t believe all men are evil. I wouldn’t label myself an extreme feminist.

@SallyMc ok well I guess I’m anti-men because I occasionally post similar stuff about men.

I think empathy is incredibly important. To be without empathy is to be a sociopath.

Empathy is very important. IMO if we are to survive as a nation we need to care for the sick, find jobs for the unemployed, educate our youth, and elevate the life experience of the poor.

I have a friend who has been an interesting experience for me: he's not empathic. He's not insensitive and cares a lot, and will certainly be hurt by negative emotions coming his way, but he can't "read" people like I can. At first this threw me, and he would say things that would typically wound me under other circumstances but he was just being frank. However, we've both adjusted and utilize our words more than we normally would. I've learned to verbally express my emotions so he'll understand, and he'll ask me to explain if he knows he's not getting something, but wants to know. It's been quite interesting.

Yes very much. I was a lecturer in 'person centred counselling' Personal Growth which revolves around Warmth -(prizing) Congruence (Being genuine) and Empathy (reaching out as if you were that person).
I don't think I could live without any of these and still feel my own humanity. I guess what it boils down to is caring for humanity.

(And of course there are always going to be people who don't want that)

Indeed. It's always been my opinion that religion propagates by teaching followers not to listen to those instincts. They suppress them, and god will handle it when they get to the great beyond. I think it's one reason some religious can do such unspeakable things that would have us in the grips of despair.

Your lecture sounds interesting!

Yes I have it and an ideal male partner would haveit also.

I do. I feel the world would be a better place if everyone had the ability to put themselves in other people's shoes before taking some action. Thinking before acting and being able to be empathetic is hugely important, imho, in just being a decent human being.

It's the single most important aspect of humanity in my opinion. I couldn't date anyone who was devoid of empathy.

Value. When asked how I can have morality without god....I inevitably answer that my empathy for others directs my moral compass

I think it's massively important, it's just the golden rule after all.
Imagine if our level of empathy was part of our daily life, if we added it as part of our personal values: looks, wealth, humour, intelligence etc, let's add empathy. Imagine the change it would make to politics and government.

It's crucial to human interaction. No healthy society is possible without it.

Another thought :
One must have the strength to look and the wisdom to walk away.
....or.....
The wisdom to look and the strength to walk away.
Empathy is good, and important.
Knowing the limitations of ability when experiencing it is crucial.
ie: you can't save everything or everyone.
Friend once said "I feel for ya, but I just can't reach".
Another one said " I'm smellin the shit yer standin' in"

Empathy is or should be a core

I believe the level of empathy one shares comes from a sense of connection to either the individual, the community, or the situation regardless of the first person association. Empathy is what drives us to enjoy our TV shows, our music and our relationships. So I'd have to say 100% yes. Now, the practice of expressing empathy is far more difficult in a society of 'Us vs Them' mind set that is taught. This world would be a better place if we all shared a little more empathy with one another.

Empathy is crucial in any relationship and must be a part of the culture of any caring society.

"Empathy" is what pedophiles, rapists & serial killers lack.Without it people are no more than animals.

Coldo Level 8 May 15, 2018

I agree about rapists and molesters I do believe some animals do have empathy twards other animals and humans . Dogs dolphins apes Theres a video of a female lioness protecting a injured fox from the rest of the pride .

@MagRat i'm good with all creatures except Hard crabs and snapping turtles

I think empathy to a healthy level is justified. Part of the joy in life is connecting with those around you. I find you can’t truly understand people’s life decisions without empathy for others pain. I also think in a relationship it’s very important. However, You can not let your empathy get in the way of your wellbeing

Very. And no, at least not a civilized/moral society...

It is very important for people to have empathy, but compulsory empathy is a violation of the privacy of mind of other people. People should understand that other people are not their property to mentally probe into.

I fully understand, grasp and respect that people should keep a semblance of respect for others along with their property because it is positive and human, but people have to understand that it is not always appropriate to make one's thoughts, intentions and feelings open for being learned and used by others.

I often run into people who insist on a personal relationship, and insist on knowing my mind at the moment or insist on getting attention from me, but therein lies the very issue-the moment itself. At any given moment, I am already working on something, or doing some necessary thinking and I absolutely do not like it when people interrupt because they are having verbal or emotional diarrhea.

I DO empathize with others, I do grasp the struggle of others, and understand what makes them work, but there are these simple truths I already know:

1. Not everyone deserves it. I know a piece of sh%t from a mile away, and I know who will make a mess out of things. I learned this very well from observing and studying the better and worse of humanity for many years.

2. Empathizing is a normative thing and not a necessary course of action, which pulls a person out of their rationality.

3. Empathizers are puppies. Systemizers are wolves.

4. Empathy is largely based on unfounded notions of who another person is. Not everyone is capable of taking in experience, thinking and interfacing with reality in the same way, and people often give a false notion of who they are. The whole notion that a person can "see where another person can come from" is a very reductionistic supposition on how the mind works.

5. Empathetic people are lunch meat to evil people. We can try to convince those people to change all we want, but they only ever quit when they die of continuously fighting with others and breaking other laws. Also, note that people tend to already be focused on something, and will not take suggestions on how to change, unless they already are looking for a solution.

Now, how important is it for people to have empathy?

For the already associated, it's very important. For enemies, it's a mistake.

Can society survive without empathy?

Probably not. If people don't have your back in your blind-spots and such places, then it is a sickening and mentally deranging environment. This notion of "destructive constructiveness" that comes from austerity policies is simply not a good thing, because it puts people of at least sufficient value at risk.

"Empathizers are puppies. Systemizers are wolves." Can you elaborate on what you mean by this?

@cmadler

I am basically saying that highly social humans have become highly social creatures due to regressive evolution, much like how wolves regressed into dogs, which have less developed brains than wolves. People seek social interaction because they want a certain level of overall health, ultimately, since socializing is so positive for the mind and body. So sometimes, people will foolishly chat for hours about nothing, for the complement of socializing, but the more developed humans are doing cerebrations or other critical functions.

@MagRat

Yeah absolutely. I would say that intellectual interaction is three times more important than social interaction, when it comes to most people. Most people have nothing to talk about except anecdotes and other sh%t

@MagRat

Sort of. Socializing hits diminishing returns quick. Just focusing on growth of mind is different. It implies to do a lot more, and to gain a lot more.

@MagRat

I respect that. I have worked jobs that were social, and involved many flavors and tiers of people. They were sometimes stressful, because customers would repeatedly pull me off task, when I was dealing with a time-consuming problem, and then I would go to school, and deal with political drama concerning my dislike of the dominant beliefs in my area.

I personally dislike attention and having to speak, so I avoid a lot of social situations (partially, this is due to my phenotype. I tend to produce excess force when I speak, and this makes me sound like an %sshole, which can put off certain people to my own undoing). I have to prepare, then go out to deal with company in crowds. It never goes well any other way.

@MagRat Yeah. I have to be uber calm to talk

Of course I value empathy!

Psychopathy is marked by impulsivity, an absence of guilt over hurting others, and often superficial charm. Psychopaths are usually described as lacking empathy, and a new study reveals the neurological basis for this dearth of feeling.Sep 24, 2013

Blame the Brain: Why Psychopaths Lack Empathy - Live Science
[livescience.com]

The spectrum is supposed to be "misanthropy<---->empathy". Psychopathy is just one misanthropic disorder.

Yes l do. No.

Empathy exists even in many non-sentient species so it's not a part of society but life itself at some stage of development. Empathy is not an option. Watch Equilibrium with Christian Bale, great movie about removing emotions.

I think people are selectively empathetic.
Same with other moralistic notions.
We choose when to place them, or cast aside.
Also think the term sociopath is tossed about far too lightly.
Most exhibit sociopathic traits to some extent - it's almost required to live - but sociopath should be reserved for those who truly become it - Bundy, Dahmer, etc.

Generally I think many words and terms are abused/overused.
I've seen many declare themselves or others a sociopath for rather benign reasons - as said, we all bear the traits to one degree or another, I think.... But few carry the full blown diagnosis.

I value it and I think it is important for others to as well. And we could survive without it as a society, but we wouldn’t be making much progress for our human flourishing.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:82076
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.