Agnostic.com

17 1

Equal work for equal pay

Should there be differences in tasks performed in the workplace (based on gender)? For instance, in an environment where physical work is expected (i.e. lifting boxes), should tasks of this type be primarily assigned to men(assuming the boxes aren't too heavy for either gender)

GoodMan 7 May 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Not all men can lift the same weight. Some women are stronger than some men. Some men are better built than other men, including taller, huskier, more muscles. As far as I can tell, it should just come down to the person who's most capable of the job.

My former husband worked at the US Post Office . The (supposed) maximum weight for bags of mail , was supposed to be 30 pounds . Compare this to loads of laundry , grocery shopping , toddlers . One Friday , he told me that they had been surprised to see a woman (trainee ) accompaining one of the regular drivers , who was retiring . He told me , that he and the others would normally meet the driver at the dock , when he tooted , and help him move the bags from the truck , to a flatbed on the dock , but since it was a woman , they weren't going to help her . Monday evening , I asked him how things went . He confessed , they heard the truck pulling in to the dock , but had left the flatbed parked just inside the post office door . The woman , threw open the back doors of the truck , but , instead of tossing the bags from the truck to the dock , she tossed them across the entire width of the dock , landing them on the flatbed , parked inside the building . My husband lost another slice of my respect .

Actually a recent study into pay reveals perverse pay incentives are more responsible for discrepancies in pay.
Someone who is flexible in hours (aka doesn't pick up kids), willing to work traditional business hours (Doesn't have kids), willing to work overtime and holidays (doesn't value family time) is more likely to have a higher earning potential certis paribus

No, let women work in dangerous environments if they so choose, I believe in freedom of choice. Where salary is concerned, manual labor jobs should always pay more than say a job where someone works behind a computer all day.

No. If you can perform the task you get equal pay, etc.
Gender stereotypes are bullshit.

Work like that has to be assigned to the more physically capable or to people with the tools to get it done. Males and females can both be sufficient for this category, but it's just more likely that males will be more sufficient because they tend to develop in that manner.

That being said, in the case for when the work is compatible with the average of both sexes, then I guess just leave it to another qualification criteria. Give the job to the person with the better reputation, work experience, education, etc.

I don't even think that gender and other such superficial things should even be screened in hiring processes, and there should be third party mediation for hiring processes to make sure everything is done in an honest manner.

What about jobs that involve caring, communicating and nurturing? Jobs that are often not profit making enterprises but still very important in society? I've seen some men attempt to do these jobs and be quite limited and many wouldn't even be interested. Not all gender differences are down to physical strength. But I also accept that this is a generalisation and some men are quite capable in these areas. But these are often low paid areas which men would avoid.

If a person is capable of doing a job they should be allowed to do it, doesn't matter their sex. If I'm hired to do a job I'd better be able to do it as well or better than anyone else, so I would expect that from anyone I have to work with. If manager gives physical work to men, they would be working harder for the same pay and that's not conducive to a good working environment. Those working harder will resent those who are given special assignments because of a perceived lack of physical ability. I say give everyone the same work and if they can't cut it then they will need to find another position.

They are stronger, like it or not, so they may not be working harder. They may just be working at a level that's ok for them. Just like a person who uses a wheelchair to get around may be seated all day. Not working harder, but working in a different manner.

Equal pay...ABSOLUTELY!

I work with a bunch of guys and I do more heavy lifting than some, and less than others.
For the most part we get along great and just do what needs to be done...
If one of us is in pain (sore back or whatever) the others tend to pick up the slack.

I understand ? Some do more than others for whatever reason, and I agree that we (men and women) should be willing to accomodate our co-workers, colleagues, etc if/when needed.

let the workers figure it out as management have been having difficulty !

If it is physical work, robots are the best? They don't want pay or any employee benefits. Maybe some batteries. Gender or sex of the robot is immaterial as far as it gets the job done with least cost.

@MagRat sure, as long as we get a living wage regardless of the hours we do!

@MagRat lols, no I'm a person who could imagine a way of designing robots for most of the work I do! Even housework, a loo cleaning robot would be so simple to design, but alas I only have the initial ideas not the mechanical and circuit board know how 🙂

I reject your question. When I taught at the college level, I had a female student who took a job at a mental foundry just to prive she could do it. When her work was so good that the boss told her that she was doing a better job than most of the men, she quit. She had accomplished her purpose -- proving that she -- a woman -- could do it.

They should be assigned to those who do the job best, ignore gender, ignore everything else. It’s pretty simple.

No. Anyone that can perform the work effectively should do the work. Gender it's not relevant... Or shouldn't be. Aptitude should be the only measure.

if you can do the job you should get the money for it. keep it simple.

Equal pay for equal work. Period.

Not sure that was the question...
If Mary & Steve both earn $14/hour, who should lift the (slightly heavy) boxes??
Steve, Mary, or gender shouldn't be a factor.

@scurry If the job requires lifting boxes, and they're both being paid the same, they should both be able to lift the boxes.

@Faithless1 Good question.
Everyone has their own unique skill set.

@NotConvinced I think you're right and I think the whole topic of 'equality' is a little misleading - I think it would be more appropriate to label it Perceived Equality.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:83011
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.