Agnostic.com

29 0

Does having children serve a purpose? Or is it cruel to bring children into a world of suffering?

LeaBama30 3 Dec 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

29 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No actual purpose at all, since this universe has no purpose. We have children because of biological urges.

things that go bump in the night

Negativism to me is distasteful. In spite of our many shortcomings, our species is something rather special in our little region of space. I think our intelligence and creative ability is worth preserving through future generations and we have no other way to do that without bringing children into the world.

It is possible we may destroy ourselves in the future or we may be destroyed by something out of our control, but thinking that is what will happen is just a way to generate a self fulfilling prophecy, and that reminds me too much of the christian desire for Armageddon. I am unable to think like that.

If your world is full of suffering then I suggest you put off children. When you have hope and self care, ability to give without getting back for many many years, then children might be right. I didn't evaluate what was happening in Africa or homeless Vets or any other suffering when I wanted a child. I just wondered if I had enough strength to offer love consistenly for decades. The love you have with a child is well worth the effort.

It is not cruel to bring children into a world of suffering. Life = Suffering... no matter what is the current situation, there will always be suffering. This is how we all grow and experience life. Without suffering there is no growth. Suffering can bring people together. Can't have only Joy to experience life, that will be torture in itself, not knowing the difference. The Joy, Happiness and unconditional Love and suffering comes with having a baby. Don't miss this opportunity, if you have the option.

Yes, there is also a purpose... just like Learning a subject and Teaching a subject. When you are learning it is one side of the process. When you are teaching, you are exploring more understanding of the subject. Having a Child will show you the other side of Love unconditionally.

I'm an antinatalist. Although there's a chance that one's children will have happy, healthy lives overall, there's also a significant chance that they will be severely ill, depressed, addicted, victims of violence, etc., and that their lives will be filled with misery. Because nobody can consent to being brought into the world and roll those dice, I consider it unethical to impose life upon them. So I've decided I'll never have children of my own.

I would agree with you ,but I would be a hypocrite due to the fact I have one daughter,but at least me and my wife agreed on only one child. More people should think as you do .

@richiegtt. I never try to impose my perspective on anyone and I don't judge others for having different views or having taken different action than I would choose for myself. I don't think you're a hypocrite. There's a biological urge at work, too, and that's hard to overcome. I just think for those of use who can, remaining childless has merit. Limiting family size, for various reasons, seems like a good option to me, too, just not the one I want for myself.

I didn't bring my daughters into this screwed up world but they damn sure gave me a purpose. Raising two incredible, honest, intelligent, caring more than productive members of society in this age of entitlement, disrespect, disregard for education, etiquette and work ethic has given me a sense of satisfaction and pride.

I believe my kids are going to save the world! Seriously, they got active politically in the last election and are doing good works all over the place.

I'm a Homo sapiens advocate. Suffering isn't the only thing this world offers. Having children gives them the opportunity to decide for themselves which to focus on. Not letting them be born is making their decision for them. There are ways of dealing with suffering.

skado Level 9 Dec 14, 2017

I wouldn't know what will be of my life without my two girls and my boy! I will be a lot richer but what is money to the lonely? ...to the sad? I was very close from dying while my wife was 8 month pregnant of our 2nd daughter, my son would had never been born... I think the world is a better place with him around. My children have an opportunity to make this a better place. Children do serve a purpose.... and for all my suffering, I have a lot more of joy. See them grow, no matter how much the pain and how much they still relay on me to bail them out... it is always a joy to me to help them, to teach them how to handle a divorce and that divorce is not the end of your life or commitment to life. I have a good, civil relation with their mother. We can Teach so much to our children until our last breath... We can teach them how to Live, Love, have Fun, and how to Die too... and that is also important. There is only one thing I know I will never do... taking my own life on purpose because it will change my kids DNA, suddenly making them children of a suicidal. That I will never do and if it ever happen... they know they been told it will be a Stupid Accident not meant to happen. Make a better world for the children you brought in. Can't find a better way to create good human beings and citizens than producing yourself... WITH THE RIGHT PARTNER. FINDING THEIR MOTHER IS MY GREATEST DECISION I EVER DID SINCE THE SWIMMING TO THE EGG INCIDENT. I am a better man because of her and my children know that. My humble take.

which came first? the swimming or the egg?

I personally wouldn't want to have kids for the simple reason that they could genetically adopt and develop the mental illnesses that I still suffer from. My only reason I don't want kids.

Ever since I was a teenager I vowed that I would never ever intentionally be responsible for bringing another life into this world. I was very miserable at that time and the last thing that I could ever think of doing was causing another person to be as miserable as I.
My (first) wife and I seemed to be on the same page for a time but as the "clock" ticked, she changed.
Me, trying to be the nice guy, went right along. For a while she did not get pregnant but eventually she did. It turned out to be a tubal pregnancy. After that she was unable to conceive.
We thought about adoption. We met a couple who had adopted twins from Bangladesh.
We were ecstatic. The more we got to know these people and their twins the more we were sure of what we wanted to do.
That was in 1977. My daughter is 40 years old now and I have a lovely granddaughter. Couldn't possibly love them anymore.
Jim McKernon

I never wanted to have children....Nothing to do with the universe, suffering or whatever. Simply put, motherhood never was "in" me.

Good to know before you find yourself holding the baby. My mother always said people who love to have children should have three or more, or two at least, the others none. Don't have them if you don't want them. It's not a job you can just quit.

I agree it is cruel to bring an unborn child into this overpopulated planet,Unfortunately other than adopting ,the only purpose it serves is to satisfy ones desires .This society puts pressure on people to have children so people feel pressure to do so .If you want children you should adopt them or only have one of your own as I do ,and if you want more ,adopt

Wow, aren’t you a ray of sunshine. This world certainly isn’t perfect nor will it ever be. My children were the product of many years of desire, painful surgeries an infertility treatments. They are the the most engaged and at 12 & 14 are politically and socially aware and make me extraordinarily proud every day. They ARE the future!

The world has suffering in it, but that isn't all it has. The suffering is part of understanding and growing. Through the suffering, we are able to understand and influence the world around us more effectively. Your life has had pain, I'm sure... but it hasn't been one long strung out bit of agony. How would you have learned how to read and write? Besides... If life was just cookies and orgasms, things would be pretty pointless as well.

If you see life as only suffering, then having a child would be very cruel indeed. Definitely, do not have a child if this is your worldview.

If you see life that has suffering as an antidote to things that are false, then you may have a view that sees that suffering as a tool or an indicator. If that observation is true and consistently repeatable, then having a child is not cruel.

I have no idea what horrors a person reading this may have seen. I've had my share of good and bad, but I've somehow managed to use them to help me understand things the way they are, to help me be more effective and positive for the people around me, and to live a more fulfilled life since those things have happened. Maybe there is some cruelty that could visit me and take a giant shit on my dumb little theory... but so far, it hasn't. I hope this is useful.

All the best!

Children are one way why live on after we expire. It's a selfish purpose, but it's a purpose.

This has allways been a world of suffering. We definitely need to get the population increase under control. Its an increadbly complex subject, that involves elimating poverty, improving education and for God's sake providing birth control. When parents "choose" to bring babies in it is a step in the right direction. I really wish more people would adopt.

Well the answer is right in your question.
It is really a great feeling to have a newborn. At the same time i don't want to have kids when people around us are really hateful and freaky.

You can raise your kid as a sword against this hateful and freaky world but to be honest hateful and freaky is what humans are. We are in our infancy still to an extent primitive.

If you have ever laughed then you know how wonderful life is. If you feel like life is suffering then you have to change your circumstances your karma and understand that life is not about how much you can get but who you can share life with.

I do not care for your hopeless point of view. Almost every living organism goes through easy or good times and difficult circumstances. Trying to live a life in which we have the pleasure and happiness and totally avoid any pain is not only unrealistic. It also cheats the heart out of life. It is the struggle though difficult times which brings progress and which provides comparisons which makes the good times so enjoyable.

If you don't want to have kids, that is fine. We already have human overpopulation. But, don't use the avoidance of pain as the excuse.

Life is nothing without suffering to contrast the moments of bliss. Get over it.

Having children (intentionally) always serves a purpose. To make people (esp. parents) feel good about themselves is a popular one.

If anyone has a reason for having children that isn't motivated by vanity or some other self-serving purpose, I would love to hear it.

@LeaBama30, if you aren't a member yet, you might be interested in joining the "Childfree Domain" group.

we brought our Children up to CHANGE the WORLD!!! Anything less is a COP OUT with regards to HUMANITY!!!

Calm down.

I don't think having children serves a purpose, unless your ego needs it or you need cheap labour.
I've always thought it morally dubious to force life on an individual, as there is no option for a child to say no to life at conception. Especially if you consider the world to be full of suffering

I personally decided to be childfree, and consider it to be the best decision I have ever made. After rejecting religion of course ?

There is no point in having children, at the same time there is no point in having meals that avoid you death by starvation, you just do it because you want.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:8310
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.