Agnostic.com

27 3

Is there any point in debating to believers about their religion?

We know the truth and they are never going to change

ShreyashOswal 3 May 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

27 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No. Never. Unless you really want a bad headache.

It varies by the person. You cannot generalize philosophical groups any more than racial or gender groups. Each individual will react differently. If someone is open to the conversation and willing to be intellectually honest then there exists a chance to change minds. However if someone is stuck to their ideals and not receptive to criticism or feedback then the topic is best avoided.

keep chipping away I say

I enjoy debating a believer occasionally, if invited.....if only to re-affirm my own thinking....not argue, debate......arguements turn into "is too, is not" petty things.

I don't see much point.

If you go in with a goal of winning? No. If you go in with the goal of examining the person's (and your own) perspectives? Absolutely.

One must come to a conclusion on their own as to the existence of a god. The vast majority of people could not be debated into a non-belief. IMHO

Live and let live. I don't care what others believe. I don't care what I believe. I just live.

If you don't like to play Angry Birds and want to kill some time sure.

For me - no.
There is no debate as far as I'm concerned.

It seems like a waste of time, to me. That being said, sometimes I have the time to waste, and sometimes I don’t. 😉

Not that I can see... unless you're simply trying to gain perspective.

No

I mentioned "Numbers 31" to a Pentacostal person once. I asked if he thought Moses really did those dasterdly deeds, or the author just made them up. He would not, or could not respond. He had a habit answering this type of questions with bible quotes, unable to articulate his own opinion. A wasted attempt at conversation.

No, why give ourselves aneurysms?

Emme Level 7 May 17, 2018

One does not debate to, but instead debates with a person. The answer is a simple NO.

You have answer your own question.......my answer is nope anyway

I personally find no satisfaction trying to debate with a religious group or even a solitary one, but i do it so that other doubters may change their attitudes once they see sense. After all, why should religion even attempt to dominate with all its myths, lies, rapes, incest etc etc etc all based on no evidence and already been made well and truly obsolete by the proof of evolution fossils and all other scientific material pl(aced at their intelligence.and that includes the methodical introduction of child abuse )

of course. you may turn out to be the hair that breaks the camels back

It's never made a difference, though I like to make them something to think about

I don't own any interest debate over someone's preference of faith over reason. What I have real concerns about is the idea anyone can craft a law that is based on an article of faith. Be it a personal belief or religious, writing into law anything that defies evidentiary science, that cannot be proven true coerced me into a tacit agreement with that belief system. That undermines the intention of democracy.

I will never debate in the conventional way, since I believe it is virtually always futile. However, given the right circumstance, I will ask pointed questions, or make observations for purposes of disclosure. One of my good friends believed that it was in her son's best interest to send him to a fundamentalist Christian grammar school. She had been brought up as a Baptist in what was then referred to as a Reformed church.
After several months, we were driving into work and she seemed especially quiet. I asked why, and she said, "Do you believe that my son told me that I should not be wearing slacks to work because in the bible it says that women should not take on the appearance and dress of a man, or they will go to Hell? I'll be darned if my 11 year old son is going to censor my wardrobe and tell me what I can or cannot wear!"
So I told her that I knew she thought of me as somewhat of a Pagan, but issues exactly like that were the reason I never associated myself with any organized religion.

Fun and learning as well the possibility of getting a new friend friends that can talk about religion are the best of friends

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:83689
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.