Agnostic.com

10 1

Sneezing demons

How do you respond to those that habitually wish blessings upon you (from God/a deity most times) when you might happen to sneeze in their presence? I find it such a silly antiquated practice, and typically ignore it myself. I do find it rude when people will even interrupt conversations to do so.

MSALLAYNEOUS 4 May 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I say thank you and keep going. Antiquated or not, at it's core, they are showing concern for your continued wellbeing. And, since they are utterly helpless to truly affect that sort of thing, they do what's available to them and ask their alleged higher power to bless you with health, which is actually sort of sweet in a naive sort of way.

I've seen people interrupt all kinds of significant goings-on, just to do the damn "bless you" thing ! Like if they don't , something truly awful will happen !
So incredibly mindless. Programmed robots.

I think it’s a little silly to be bothered, it’s a cultural habit. I usually say salute but that’s my Brooklyn Italian upbringing. If someone agrees with you by saying “Damn straight” is that a problem?... or when something is a surprise I like, “jumping Jesus!” .. I get pissed when religious people go to areas high in aids and tell people condoms are sin... I don’t have time to be mad about linguistic habits that amount to nothing more than being polite.

I sneeze-bless u I can handle. LOL

I actually appreciate the goodwill gesture.

I pay little attention. Besides, I've been living in Thailand since 2010 and nobody says that here.

how do you feel when a man orgasms and says fucking Jesus im coming?

@Warm_dissent it was partly a joke

never heard that particular line ...

@evergreen
Women usual say Oh god, oh god, oh god. I find it amusing ?

@evergreen many religious terms are used is my point like "for God's sake"

@VAL3941 really ? you've slept with a bunch then ? That's something I never say ...

@evergreen
But then you don't hear yourself in the throes of orgasmic pleasure, do you ?

@evergreen some women say "I've got a headache"

@LeighShelton m-m-m, then they would tend to miss out altogether !

@evergreen indeed

I don't think about it.

I ignore them.

The Germ term is better.. "Gesundheid" meaning good health

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:83999
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.