Agnostic.com

14 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

We are all people. None of us are pure anything. The earth is a big box of crayons.

I'm sure I could find you a few pure assholes around ...

Pure native americans still living in reservations. Some latin american countries like Peru, Brazil and Chile still care for the pure natives.

Why associate at all with a skin colour or race? It’s irrelevant. When I hear people say they’re proud to be black it makes my skin crawl. Why are you proud that you happen to be born with certain traits. It’s like me saying I’m proud to be human. It was none of my doing so how can I be proud?

KenG Level 6 May 19, 2018

What is actually meant by that is to say that 'I am proud to be something that historically was used to try to convince me that I was less than a human fucking being.'

@Ultra120 But how can you be proud of something outside of your control? That’s ridiculous ??

@KenG it's ridiculous that a whole social order revolved/revolves around marginalizing people (Black, Jewish, Polish, Irish, Gay, etc, pick one) over something out of their control. It's not ridiculous to say 'fuck you, I like who I am and where I come from'.

@Ultra120 yes, racism was dreadful. So don’t say things like “I’m glad I’m a difference race to you”. That is horribly racist. We need to stamp out all kinds of racism.

@KenG that's not what the fuck I said, and you know it.

@KenG let me tell you something mate. Fundamentally, I kind of agree with you. The thing is tho, I'm not a gratuitous idealist. Im not gonna walk around this planet on some 'We are the world' shit, knowing full well that if certain people knew they could get away with it, I would be dangling from a poplar tree all because of the color of my skin. Yet and still I don't, hate anyone, I'm a humanist who sees and acknowledges the value in people despite how different they look from me. We're are going to agree to disagree and that's OK. Good day to you.

@Ultra120 I call out racism where ever I see it: whether it’s from black, white, anyone, and I’m not afraid to do so even though it seems non PC to do so sometimes.

@Ultra120 The test to see if something is racist is to swap ‘black’ for’white’ in any statement. If it now sounds racist, it was before. I call out racism where ever I see it.

I've a problem with their dating being out of date. Indigenous Australians are now known to have been present here 65k years ago with a suspicion that this date may be pushed back another 10000 years. There is tentative evidence (very tentative) that there was a fire using people in Australia 120000 years ago.
Of course this pushes the "out of Africa date" back as well.

I also ran across a similar report. Our evolution continues to evolve. But, clearly, our DNA is proof of interconnectedness or whatever term is appropriate.

@crazycurlz Yep. Even the statement "Only a handful of groups today, such as Australian Aborigines, have deep bloodlines untainted by mixing with immigrants." is suspect as there has been considerable interaction with neighbouring peoples over the millenia.
It might be possible to justify this on the basis that there was no MASS migration into Aboriginal Australia until the British showed up.

How boring it would be to be "pure". I'm excited to have all that mixed history!

Got no arguement from me.

Good news. Lately it has been embarassing being white.

i will never be embarrassed to be the color of the skin i was born with. what's embarrassing is the fact that other whites are embarrassed of that....

Not embarrassed to be white although I am repulsed that I share the same skin color with some others.

@blueskies If you're embarrassed to be the same colour as certain people, how is that any different from being embarrassed about your colour? Suppose I went to a college and all the other alumni and staff turned out to be criminals. I could say I was embarrassed that all these awful people went to my college, but it would be a bit weird if someone asked me if I was embarrassed about going to that college and I said "oh no, I'm proud of that - the college was great".

oooh, don't be ashamed to be white! Embrace the positives in your ancestral cultures and the positives of your own unique person and move forward. To look at the history of MOST cultures is to find violence and one subset lording it over another. The N European cultures were pretty industrious, too. Where would we be without the art of the Impressionists, for instance? Create a path forward for yourself alongside 'minorities' as an open-minded, caring person but an equal, too. Okay to be humbled and in awe of new discoveries but no sense in going from being 'top dog' to bottom of the apple cart. The goal SHOULD BE that we are all equals. Please keep that in mind.

@Gareth i did not mean it so seriously. I am comfortable in my skin.

there might still be a pure kenyan

Cool. I agree. We are all related, interwoven, interconnected. And if we had the capacity to embrace that knowledge, what a fascinating and incredible a species we would be!

Anthropology was my first major in college. No one is pure anything. Period.

Absolutely!

I am not so sure that there is a pure human. Just sayin'.

That's right!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:84571
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.