Agnostic.com

14 7

What kind of tree is this?

Came across this tree in a Richardson, Texas park. Can anyone tell me what kind it is?

BeeHappy 9 May 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

A very real one.

Trunk and bark look like a paperbark (Melaleuca) but foliar canopy looks wrong shape. A bit hard to tell without closer more detailed shots of leaves. 3rd shot, if it is from same tree looks indistinct. (horticulturist from australia)

Fir trees, as suggested, cypress and yew tend to be pyramidal in shape, rather than having three leaders as in photos. Google Taxus and Taxodium genus names. May reveal more.

Thank you!

@BeeHappy yeah now I remember a rare form of YEW

The one they "Tied The Yellow Ribbon" round?

Coldo Level 8 May 19, 2018

Hmmmm... maybe...

It sure is beautiful..

It is, isn't it? ?

I saw your profile picture before clicking on your post and thought "That's a cactus...wait, is a cactus a type of tree?" Then I saw the pictures you provided and my answer: I have no idea.

My profile pic is a Scottish Thistle. ?

@BeeHappy Oh. hahaha. Well that just shows you how much I know about plants. A Scottish thistle kind of looks like a cactus then.

@joeymf86 Sure! ?

Well ,.. I thing the first one is a yew tree, the last one is either mulberry or juniper, and the middle one is a Scream tree.

Tell me your not still standing there? You are going to get dehydrated!

I could not recognise any but did conclude the same as you that they are growing in arid conditions. Thank you.

The pics are of 1 tree in the middle of a Richardson, Texas city park. I didn't see any others like it. North Texas not what you would call arid.

@BeeHappy it doesn't look like a plump well watered item and the photo of the leaves suggests a structure to prevent water loss.

I think it's a Yanny Laurel

MikaB Level 5 May 18, 2018

Ok, someone else said Juniper. At least I have something to go on. Thanks!

Cedar family. The needles look like Hinoki Cypress or Chinese Juniper

My thought was cypress of some kind.

@Condor5 The fibrous bark is characteristic of cedar/cypress trees and needles are similar to the trees I mentioned. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it were yet another species from the same family. The groundskeeper at the park might know or a look a the fruit might narrow it down more

Cool, thanks!

Juniper, looks like the most likely, so far. Thanks!

Whatever it is it is lovely!

looks like a cedar.

Thank you sir!

The tree of forbidden fruit! Run away!!

Hell no! I'm eating from it! Hahaha a

My novice guess is that this tree is a source of a cancer preventing dietary supplement. ...and it does not likely grow much farther north. ...a migratory species of bird or bat or landlubber transported this beautiful giant shrub or tree

Thanks!

Nice looking trees.

Thanks!

@BeeHappy You're welcome.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:84614
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.