Agnostic.com

21 3

Do you like guns?

I like to go target shooting and generally like firearms.
I can't do it often in Australia or the UK because of all the laws and regulations. However in America I have been able to do it easily many times.

So, what are peoples thoughts on the gun laws of America?

• 2 votes
  • 1 vote
  • 24 votes
  • 20 votes
  • 2 votes
  • 6 votes
Lancer 7 Dec 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

21 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have guns myself and despite being mostly liberal, I do support the 2nd amendment. Guns themselves are not bad, and I am a firm believer in being able to protect yourself against a threat. Obviously sometimes these guns fall into the hands of people who have no business having one, whether legally or illegally, and I wish there was an easy solution to that.

Truth be told, while I do enjoy target shooting, if there were a way to absolutely guarantee that no criminal could have a gun or at least that it would be practically unheard of, I would probably be okay with changing the laws and removing them from the U.S. But as it is, that cat is out of the bag and I honestly think that isn't even an option for the U.S. I'm okay with that too but as I said before, I wish there were a solution to keeping them out of the hands of the extremely mentally ill or dangerous.

There are way to many guns in circulation in this country for any new gun laws to have any effect . Strict gun laws should have been inacted many many years ago

I agree that there is no longer any chance of the gun laws working.

But should they really have been inacted years ago? The American government is a known creator of terrorist organisations. They cause political instability and chaos in foreign countries. The American people need to help keep the government in check.

Also people need to realise. The only person that can protect me is myself. We can't all afford armed bodyguards like politicians. If politicians were any good at their jobs then they wouldn't need protection.

Guns are not as essential now a days, with our food being processed at slaughter houses. However, those not in the cities, those that hunt for food, need them. They are also pretty useful for protection against wilflife and criminals. You need three types of weapons. A rifle to hunt with, a shotgun for hunting and protection, and a handgun for protection.

I see the problem in how the wrong people (criminals, mentally unstable, terrorists—yes, we have those in the US) have access to ammunition to fill their unnecessary semi and automatic weapons. As with the rest of the consumerism movement, I believe we need to quit producing excess products.

Guns are evil-we need gun background checks, stop selling guns to mentally ill and gunstocks should be outlawed. I hate guns.

Guns are not the problem. They are inanimate objects, they cannot activate themselves.

@Harleyman I completely agree with you. It's funny really, in australis at the moment there's a gang of 8-20 year olds called the Apex gang. It's a bunch of African and middle eastern refugees who deal drugs, illegal guns, etc. They break into houses, threaten families, best up old people, etc.

As a result of the police commissioner saying "there is no Apex gang, it's not a big issue". The people who have been robbed 2-3 times are fed up and Melbourne has seen an increase in baseball bat sales. The people who defend their homes are charged with assault. It's a mad world.

You are absolutely right in what you are saying. The current gun laws are being enforced and the illegal guns are the problem.

The biggest problem I hate about Australia is the way they deal with guns. If a man uses an illegal gun to commit a crime, the government response is "well obviously the gun laws on legal gun owners is insufficient. We must charge them more money to have a gun" which is idiotic and absurd.

I do hope that people begin to realise that the root cause of all gun violence is gangs and mentall ill people.

Just saying. In Australia we did have a case of a person who went to a gun range and walked out with the rifle when the reception was unattended. They went on to kill their parents then them self. Now we have to lock people in the shooting booth.

Although Australia is the country that when we had a criminal who killed 2 police officers. Once the man was released and applied for a license to shoot feral animals, was granted the license and he bought a hunting rifle. We're stupid in AUS and now that we have feral Africans and Middle Eastern runts committing so much crime that white people are moving out of their neighborhoods, you have to beg the question if we did the right thing in either case.

Hey, the sooner we accept the reality that humans will always commit aggression against each other the more ready we will be to defend ourselves should the be any against us or our loved ones. That's why I believe that under certain circimstances guns are necessary

haslr Level 3 Dec 28, 2017

The title of the post is do you like guns. My answer is yes. I enjoy shooting them, collecting them, tinkering with them. I particularly like old guns, and perhaps the more unusual guns.

The gun laws in the US vary a great deal depending on where you live. I'm not sure that the states with stricter regulations are much safer than those with less strict regulations.
Two thirds of the thirty odd thousand annual gun deaths are suicides. One way to reduce them would be to restrict access to guns. I'm sure many of those people would try other methods, but they would be less successful. There are very few attempted suicides using a firearm. Firearms are very effective.
Most of the rest are homicides, accidents account for a very small percentage. Half the victims are young men, one third are young black men. So there is some validity to the argument that addressing underlying societal issues would significantly reduce gun deaths, both homicides and suicides, and injuries.
Hence, if you want to reduce gun violence, repeal the 2nd amendment. It's a quite simple procedure, described in just a single paragraph, Article V, of the Constitution. Simple, but not easy. And then you'd have to confiscate the ones already out there, good luck with that. Or we can work on root cause mitigation for violence prevention, stronger mental health care, addressing poverty, homelessness and unemployment.

Most of the other stuff: waiting periods, magazine restrictions, ammo limits, bans on certain features can only have a very limited effect. Background checks don't do any harm, and may do some good.

Humans who are in bad shape with no opportunity for a quality life should have a right to end their life. Suicides shouldn’t even be counted as misuse of guns as it should be a human right.

Guns are a tool same as a hammer. It can be used in a positive way such as to defend yourself or in a negative way and hurt someone for some unjustified reason. The hammer isn't going to fly off the table and smash someone in the head 10 times killing them, just as the gun isn't somehow going to load , aim and fire at someone killing them. This requires some human interaction or carelessness. Cars kill thousands of people every year. Nobody is trying to make traffic laws tougher or outlaw cars altogether . Hell In the military the taught me how to kill with a rock or a stick, my bare hands even.. People kill people .. not inanimate objects. Man has always killed one another and they did it before guns were ever invented...

I oppose the wrong kind of gun owner. I oppose the sort of gun owner that would come up to me at the gun range a long time ago, and say stuff about what (who) was wrong with America and that i should "join".

The first hand cannon was made for killing people. Guns are made for killing people. To hear some kinds of gun owners speak, they go to a store with a credit card, and they come out incapable of error, immune to human weakness, and never miss. Oh, and they are also ready to drop someone, and of course will come out on top in a gun battle against "thugs" and other enemies.

I grew up on a gigantic military base, so I grew up around guns. Bombs, fighter jets. tanks, you name it. Lots of it I watched go from a drafting table to a junkyard. The money and focus spent on killing each other is ridiculous. To what end? For all of the citizen crimestopping going on, all of a sudden you have nazis on the street with torches, and peaceful folk all over the place starting to having to give up being peaceful. Looking pretty grim. The pro-gun side also reacts oddly when you bring up school shootings, what they do about their internal problems with mental health stuff, or sedition. They are unable to hold a serious debate together on it. The videos the NRA has been putting out are the best example of that. Its a mass psychosis or something, combined with an oxytocin addiction that people get from pulling that trigger. Cant discourage shooting people enough.

I'm in the UK. I've only ever used firearms during my time with the army cadets. I have to say, it was exhilarating. That makes me worry; you need a certain amount of self-control to prevent that exhilaration from taking over. Some people don't have that control.

Also, the USA has a mass shooting every single day. That, more than anything, shows that while there will always be people with the desire to kill, free access to firearms makes it that much easier for them.

Humans will kill, doesn't matter what weapons they have. Remember in China when a man with some knives killed 30+ people in an open area? Or when 12 Islamic extremists killed 3000+ people with planes? Or in europe and the UK where he weapon of choice is a truck and machetes? We can't stop people killing unless we target the root of the problem. The weapons use is irrelevant.

Gun laws only make it easier for criminals and more likely for crimes to occur.

I own quite a few guns and enjoy target practice as well. These laws that are often referred to as "common sense legislation" are positively absurd and do nothing to deter the criminal element, who don't even acknowledge said laws to begin with. Alas, those on the progressive left will never learn, and after every mass shooting they echo the same meaningless unintelligible nonsense in the hopes of convincing a majority of Americans that they are actually doing something when in fact it's the direct opposite. I'm not convinced by the gun controllers arguments, and with any and all indication never will be. @Trajan61

Gun control laws only disarm law abiding citizens and do nothing to deter criminals as they do the opposite making them more inclined to commit crimes as they are less fearful of retribution.

Guns are like religion, both dangerous.

Only in the wrong hands 😉

That fellow Marcus-Angelus presents a perfect example of how dangerous a gun really is. A couple of his loved ones were wiped out by religious fanatics. There, in that instance what is more dangerous? a gun or religion in the twisted minds of fanatics? Had his relatives be armed would the have perished in the hands of these fanatics? Guns definitely have a place in society. Self defense is a birth right that no one should be able to take away from anybody

haslr Level 3 Jan 2, 2018

I believe in knives all day

I'd like to vote, but the options are somewhat "all over the place" since they are not mutually exclusive, so I'm not sure how anyone could select one option. You're also "leading the witness" with the way the question is phrased 🙂

I clicked "multiple choices" but it didn't work I guess ????

Lancer, your statement that an armed society is a respectful society is pure fiction. It is a society with a constant undercurrent of violence and aggression, a society where a combination of fear and violence rule.

I didn't make a statement. I presented a quote. It belongs to Robert A Heinlein.

Also in my life. From primary school to university, the only thing that deters bullies or potential enemies is the threat of violence. Nothing says stay away like the threat of death. That's so simple that animals know it.

Harleyman, a wide man once said, "Never argue with a fool in publiC, because peop0le may not knmow which one is which." I have said all I have to say on the subject of the dcurrent gun insanity in our country. .Keep beating your gums in the wind if you want. I don't give a damned what you say.

I don't believe in guns, still there are guns in a loved one residence, I don't believe in the bible, still if I look around I may find one somewhere, show no interest in nra regulations or what they stand for, same with the bible.... I do see the results... the damage done by guns or by religion, understanding guns or religion won't change the results. I don't try to de-convert gun owners or bible worshippers. They are on their own. Victims of their own devices. But it pains me of the results. The Lives Lost!!! No I don't like guns, I don't like the results of guns.

I own guns they are a necessary tool on my farm, I had no problem registering them, storing them safely or being licensed as an owner. I have hunted in the past for food and sport but, now I only hunt when I have a problem predator.
I have had handguns in the past but, I found them useless as a farm tool and yes, they were licensed as well.
I have never considered them as a means of self defence against another human, why would I ever point a gun at a human.
The US needed to register all gun owners and ban ownership of many types of guns just as most intelligent nations have it is just common sense; oh, wait we are talking about America.

I can understand your point of view. But the American constitution permits citizens the right to own firearms. The reason being so that they can oppose a tyrannical government if one should ever arise. People say things like "that was in the day of muskets" but they neglect one important fact. Yes it was when there were muskets. However that was the best firearms technology at the time. It was cutting edge and it was the same as what the military had.

Fast forward to today and you will see an American citizen with a semi-automatic rifle compared to a military with tanks, drones, artillery, air support, missiles, nuclear weapons, etc. Yet that man with a rifle is dangerous compared to the military he must fight if the government was tyrannical? It's ludicrous.

Also if people just replaced their metal alloy bullets with rubber ones. There wouldn't be as big a problem.

@ Marcus_Angelus , Would having a gun to defend yourself not just paint a target on your back for these fanatics to aim at? Part of having a gun is knowing how and when to use it, that is not military training and that is what you are facing, I think you are likely better off not armed.

@Marcus_Angelus , You are right to want to but the reality is that you and your family will end up dead since you lack the training to be effective and your family will remain a soft easy target. You would be wiser to get out with your family if you can.

@Marcus_Angelus , From the safety of Canada it is hard to understand your situation, there are still safe haven countries out here were you can fly to and make a refugee claim it always bears the risk of refusal but, to be refused you have to have a hearing first which gives you a lot of time to make your case.

You Canadians have no right to carry a handgun for self defense and here in the US we do have that right. I’ll take the US over Canada any day. You need to concentrate on getting rid of the liberals like Trudeau who have stripped you of that right and not worry about the US.

@Trajan61 How little you understand Canada carrying a gun to defend yourself has never been legal in this country, didn't matter who was in power Liberals or Cons. both have maintained the law. Frankly carrying a gun around to defend yourself from other Canadians strikes me as not only offensive but also one of the stupidest idea I have ever heard.

@HeathenFarmer I’m sure a lot of Canadians especially in rural areas would appreciate the right to carry a 357 revolver for self defense against bears or moose in Canada’s remote and wild ares. But it seems even the wildlife have more rights than the people in Canada.

@Trajan61 Moose Canadians in remote areas don't worry about the moose or bears because they are aware. Good luck stopping a grizzly with a 357, those that feel the need to arm themselves against bears are smart enough to carry a short stockless 12 bore pump, pistols are just too inaccurate especially when you're scared shitless.

As for moose they are not that dangerous unless you blunder into a cow with a small calf or hit them with a vehicle. Have moose around my farm and occasional bears including grizzlies and I have never felt the need to even carry a gun with me as I work.

I'm all for restricting hunting, some animals are in danger of extinction as it is but i"m all for using guns for self defense

haslr Level 3 Dec 15, 2017

In Australia we have a big problem with "no hunting" zones. Places where feral dogs and cats inhabit. They go to farms & rip livestock apart limb from limb. We need to stop his but the government isn't concerned about animal cruelty. Is being ripped apart less painful than a bullet to the skull?

I agree with guns for self defence but we also need to use them to cull rabid pest animals.

@Harleyman Don't be so dismissive of how other countries solve their problems. Sometimes they do it better than we Americans do!

Just saying. I'm sure those Irish citizens would've liked to have guns when the English invaded their country to steal their food and commit cultural genocide back in the day.

Or most recently when they sent in the Black an Tans to rape and murder the Irish even if they weren't IRA.

The Irish really suffered under British rule. But it's alright. At least the English are okay right ????

we shouldn't still be having war and killing each other anymore. maybe there is the odd use for guns

Killing each other is the oldest past time in human history. We can't take that away from people. It's their birth right.

apparently not

Well.
WW1
WW2
100 year war
American civil war
Roman empires campaigns.
Etc.

The list goes on.

your right about killing as humans kill everything like a virus but there is no such thing as rights.

We don't have a lot of gun crime here, and have never had school kids murdered in their place of learning. But I am sure the right to have them is far more important.

Correct me if I'm wrong. But in New Zealand you can buy an M4 or AK-47 or AUG steyr semi-automatic firearm if you have the requisite license and paperwork? A country where you can but the same guns as Americans but there have been almost no mass shootings or abuses of firearms.

Is this a cultural thing or are the New Zealand media just really good at keeping a lid on it for the rest of the world? I've never watched NZ TV so I don't know.

Yes you can buy them but its a lot of requirements, we have had one mass shooting I think it was in the late 1980's? And like most countries no school shootings. Those wrench my heart to the core.

I agree with you that any loss of innocent life is abhorrent and completely unacceptable in a modern civilised society.

We need to tackle the heart of the problem. That's all I want.

If you have to be tested and have restrictions when learning to drive a car, because otherwise you might kill someone. Why are there not the same processes for gun licensing??

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:8463
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.