Agnostic.com

17 4

Do you have a well-defined body space?

This might only apply to introverts, but there is a small percentage of people who have a well-defined body space. These people (self included) become extremely agitated, for example, if someone is standing too close to them. It is situational dependent such that full elevators might be OK, but people standing in line next to you can be much too close.

TheAstroChuck 8 May 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'm not sure being agitated by someone too close is all that unusual. Everybody has a slightly different perspective on what their own personal space is or should be. Crowded areas are one thing but like you if the next person in line is a bit close I will shuffle up a tad, if they do the same I'll step back on them with a perfectly weighted 'Oh sorry!' 🙂

Yep, unless it is a loved one near, i keep moving if i have the room or tell them off and get stared at by others who just don't get it. i don't want ppl crawling up my butt in a store (or anywhere else for that matter). just get out of my face. do not feel comfortable with strangers being close especially behind me where i cannot see what they are up to. i have to know what others are doing around me... at all times.

Body space....depends. Alone outside I feel comfortable as far as I can see, the Andromeda galaxy in a good sky. On an airplane, the outside of my sleeves though I do tip the seat back as far as it will go.

I have claustrophobia and can panic in tight spaces. But I was on a tram in KC recently and it was so packed people couldn't even squeeze in. I wondered why I wasn't in panic mode before I noticed the whole top half of the tram is basically glass. I could see the sky and that view of space, if you will, was enough to keep me calm. I'm very touchy-feely if I like you...but I have to like you before you can be touchy-feely with me....if you smell though...ugh...get away.

I don't mind being close to others.
The noise though, I do not like.
I avoid crowds - too many people talking at the same time can mess my brain a bit.
I've been told it's the result of hearing damage from playing in loud bands.
I don't know.

If I hold my arms out and they could stretch to their maximum limits and come within 4 inches of touching me, they're too close. I prefer 5-7 feet in all directions.

I get ridiculously agitated when people stand too close to me. The only reason you have for pressing against me in line is that you're trying to steal my wallet so back the eff up buddy. why do people think the line will move faster if you stand obnoxiously close to someone else?

I have a hard time if even really personal close friends get too close without preparing me

I never thought about it, but yes. The elevator and standing in line example makes sense too. I also hate it when people stand too close when I use a cash machine.

I only get agitated when a person is too close to me at the ATM machine....really I get pissed off.

Once, few years ago, a 7 or 8 y/o kid approached the ATM WINDOW right at the moment I was going to key in my pass code. I told him to move away and his mother, right behind him, got offended and the kid didn't move. I said loud and clear "SECURITY". The mother was told to be quiet and the child was admonished by the guards.

Be aware that many adults use their kids to commit a crime.

@TheAstroChuck I recorded the incident with the police...just in case other people had the same problem...even the bank's manager suggested I contacted the cops.
They use the kids because they are underage so they can't be charged.

@TheAstroChuck You can say I am "pretty much aware of my surroundings

No

Phew, I started to read, did I have a well defined body? Yes, and it is round.
I do have space issues, I don't live in a city and am on my own a lot, so don't like people in my personal space. It seems readily apparent probably from my body language, people tend not to get to close, hmmm, body odour?

Mine ends at my skin.

I am definitely an introvert, but I do enjoy being close to someone and even touching if it is a beautiful woman.

Yes, I don't like it when people stand too closely too me. I always try to situate myself with enough room so that everyone around me is a comfortable distance away. I also can't stand it when someone sits next to me that I don't know and there isn't enough room for them to not touch me. We went to a baseball game last summer and a very large man sat next to me. The more beers he drank the more room he took up, and I was practically sitting in my husband's lap.

Oh, yes. I know exactly what you're talking about when standing in line.

It doesn't bother me and yet I keep my hand on my wallet pocket while someone is too close..... ??

@TheAstroChuck well I am not the only one then !! ?????

While I don't classify myself as an introvert, I am very conscious of anyone encroaching on my personal space, and have been known to "push-back" to regain it.
Usually, I can accomplish it non-verbally, but, there have been times I've had to ask people to back up.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:85319
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.