Agnostic.com

6 1

I have some female friends who are Christians, Jews and Muslims. I cannot for the life of me understand how they can defend their religions in the 21st century.

noworry28 8 Dec 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

In school we used to do debates about random issues in which the people chosen to debate would have to select a supporting or opposing side of the issue and this would also be determined by chance so it didn't matter how one actually felt about the issue being debated. If it ever would've been if god existed, and I drew the side of claiming god's existence, I would've stood there like an idiotic mumbling fool at best. No matter how much effort or creativity I put towards forming an argument.

Fear... that's the thing... it's always the uncertainty which is the hidden fear.

I would imagine they do alot more avoiding having to defend their religion then actually defending it.

No one likes admitting they've been lied to their whole lives. Many would rather perpetuate the lie, than to admit it. Especially if, by admitting it, they risk losing their families, their friends, their livelihoods, and even their lives. Some people simply do not possess the strength of character required to do that. I honestly don't understand how anyone can justify living a lie, but that's just me, and I'm the only one I can speak for. I don't care enough about the opinions of others that I would live a lie. I also don't live in an area where publicly denouncing religion will likely get me murdered. At least, not yet.

. As the pot is being stirred by tRUMP by moving the US Embassy to Jerusalem there will never be a mid-East peace accord. I can't defend Israel because the land also belongs to Palestine. If I can't defend Israel I can't defend Judaism.

People participate in religious practice for many reasons, only ne of which is informed and sincere theism.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:8685
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.