Agnostic.com

52 7

Demon possession? What’s your opinion on it?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

52 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

You're just jealous because YOU can't hear the voices. 😛

LOL

Hahaha! I like that.

I'm all for it, pro-possession. The only difficulty is finding a good quality demon now a days. You don't want to go with your lower end demons. A high end demon will cost you more in the blood sacrifice but is well worth it in the long run.

LMAO

Yeah, what about those high maintenance demons.....or is that high maintenance divas. I get confused easily.

My grandfather was a Chrysler man but owned a Dodge Demon, once. And only once.

Hopefully he didn't have it repossessed

I knew a guy who was blessed with an AMC Spirit.

I always thought it was a curse.

Outdated explanation for mental illness.

MsAl Level 8 May 22, 2018

Well, since demons don't exist any more than gods do, it's something else.
Be it mental illness, a physiological condition, or a bad reaction to drugs.
There is no such thing as demonic possession.

My demons are my best friends. ?
Seriously ? No. It's nonsense.

Great for horror movies, and there it should stay.

A lot of people are pointing to mental illness, but I would point to a simpler explanation these days: fakes. Attention, fame, and "proving" Christianity are all reasons to fake a possession. It's similar to the other phenomena that accompany the Pentecostal folks (speaking in tongues, faith healing, etc.). Sure, some people likely have experiences related to mental illness or a kind of placebo effect, but a lot of it is just a way to look relevant.
"Why did I sin? Demon. Better get that cast out. " "Speaking in tongues is a sign of piety, and that is definitely what that babbling was that I just did. I am pious." You fit in, look good, and "prove" the need for religion.

Yes, I love the speaking with tongues balderdash, it's supposed to be a language that people of all cultures can understand and yet when I've heard, (apparently intelligent) people do it it's just gibberish. How do they kid themselves on that this is talking in tongues? I would find that awfully embarrassing.

@girlwithsmiles Maybe they're the only people who actually bothered to learn Esperanto....

@GoldenDoll lols, maybe, but it still ain't tongues from a biblical perspective 🙂

It proves that mental health can be negatively impacted by religion.

A convenient excuse for churches and churchmen to silence the dissidents and the insane without blaming or drawing attention to the the failings of their false and foul religion

Lots of people are mentioning mental illness, but nobody is mentioning mental trauma.

There's been plenty of trauma induced episodes of demonic possession. When you're told your most basic instincts and feelings are a Sin and you're a terrible person who will burn in hell... mental health can be damaged.

Same thing really

@Simon1 I disagree. One is born with ADHD. PTSD is inflicted. Clinical Depression can be genetic or from our environment/trauma.

It sounds like a little thing, but I'm speaking from experience when I say it is not.

Mental illness and the power of suggestion. You can place an idea in a sick person's mind and they can act on it. There is no real evidence. False stories are fabricated to justify religious bullcrap.

Mental illness, drugs or actual seizures.

Yep! What I was thinking.

It's not real. Many who had epilepsy were wrongfully thought to be demon possessed.

My ex was definitely a Demon!

Seems to be a great excuse to beat people to death. What do you think? (Sorry, you do realise that this was still happening in Western Countries until relatively recently don't you and there is still advice online to beat demons out of people? I think it's stupidity, but each to their own AS LONG AS THEY DON"T HURT ANYONE.)

There's cases popping up all the time it's still happens

@Simon1 in Western Society? I think the last case in Australia was in the '60s and it was an apparently Christian group, can't find any relating data online.

@girlwithsmiles murica ....the Vatican has even bragged about training new exorcists and sending the out there

I’m okay with it, as long as I get to charge rent.

Hell yeah!!!

Demons do not exist. The opinion put on Jesus lips is that those who were mentally ill or had conditions such as epilepsy were demon possessed. This is due to the various authors lack of understanding.

Demons have rights too you can't treat them as possessions, they have free will and aspirations. Slavery is bad no matter how much religion tells you your victims are morally inferior.

I'm a supporter.

more bullshit

@Stacey48 you bet lol

And sorry dude, I had to add my unabridged opinion-novel to make that make more bullshit into (more bullshit)^2...you gotta admit, open to it or not, sadistic demon torment monsters can make for some kick ass horror movies lol

Why is it only "Believers" that get "Possessed"?

Coldo Level 8 May 22, 2018

Christian’s logic is because Satan isn’t worried about people like us since he already has us so he goes after them so he and his demons can get more people.

I've watched Exorcism. It's Reeeeeaaalllll!!!! 😛

Ergot loads of it was knocking about in the dark ages

Fake...fake...FAKE!
Either the people are pretending to be possessed or the "excorcist" (?) is a real con man trying to convince the person they need help...hmmm...kind of similar to all clergy.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:87503
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.