Agnostic.com

52 7

Demon possession? What’s your opinion on it?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

52 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

There are no demons. There is no evil. There is no sin. There are only mistakes. Even actions that we currently view as mistakes did not always seem so. We had to do what we did under the conditions we faced at the time.

Shenanigans

You're on the wrong site.

Nope. I’m in the right site. Check my profile. Just wanted to see what my fellow atheist felt about this topic.

Not one athiest has ever been possessed ...that should tell you all you need to know

hell yeah dude, have you studied the djinn
mental illness, how bout you use a word like schitzophrenic so you don't make autistic folks like myself sound like school shooters <3

how about you show me something supernatural

I am no expert, and am just guessing.

I have heard on NPR a few months ago that our minds actually have at least three dozen processing centers. For mos tof us this is one primary center which controls our bodies and is our primary personality, and the rest are all subconscious influences.

In multiple personality, a very rare condition, more than one of the minor processing centers in our brain takes control of they body and has a different personality, dependign onwhich one is in control.

I think so called "demonic possession" is a sub personality that has come to the surface and either partially or fully has taken over. I'd also postulate that such personalities processing center used by that personality is rooted in more primitive parts of the brain, but that is wholly guess work, as I have neither heard nor seen evidence to support that... yet.

I also suspect that schizophrenic persons who her voices or see people who are not there, are seeing or hearing manifestations in their minds, of other processing center personalities.

I think all the ancient prophets who actually believed they saw visions and heard voices were suffering from some sort of mental illness. Some mentally ill people can be quite functional. My favorite example is John Nash, who won a Nobel prize for mathematics, for work he did while suffering from schizophrenic delusions. His story is portrayed in the movie "A Beautiful Mind".

Anyway, my point is that ancient "prophet" most likely were just been persons who were both mentally ill and highly functioning.

Demons don't exist anymore than God does. But it does open up an interesting question. If you don't pay your Exorcist Bill do you get repossessed? LOL

Hahaha!!!

Bullshit.

How can we be possessed by something that doesn't exist?

It's imagination. Self-induced delusion.

Really i can't say i have a strong opinion on this, never seen a person with such a severe mental illness, until i see someones heads spin totally around, i say im not. A beilever of demonic possession

It is a pre-scientific misinterpretation of mental illness.
Before there was medical science, psychiatry and psychology, people looked for some form of explanation and demons were the best they could come up with. Nowadays, it gets complicated because strong religious beliefs can manifest as neuroses or fixated ideas themselves, further aggravating a mental instability to a point the affected themselves strongly believe they are possessed.
All in all, any clinical treatment will always be better ( I.E. effective at all) than an exorcism, whatever that's supposed to be. 😉

Joerg Level 3 May 22, 2018

It's dumb.

Yep! Attention seeking mentally ill victims is all.

@EmeraldJewel Yes.

Entertaining in fiction. Don't actually believe in it in real life.

I am conscious of the idea that there are things that we do not perceive because we do not expect to perceive them, we do not notice them, we perceptually filter them out by some other means, or are not neurologically equipped to perceive them. Those things can probably completely shatter one's paradigm of how one thinks reality works.

That being said, I would absolutely not be surprised if one day, somebody got past those perceptual boundaries, and observed a whole universe of sensory information that had never been seen before.

That being said, can demonic possession be a reality? I would still say it is more likely that demonic possession is caused by something going awry in the brain, because there is much more scientific evidence to support that conclusion, than the case where demonic possession is real.

Interesting take there for sure man. Despite a natural reluctance in me to believe in (to date) non-reproducible/unobserved claims that fall into a portion of the foundational beliefs of religious doctrine that often made life quite difficult for me, I do agree with u on the notion that there are some things of which we can’t possibly have any conceptual understanding, or even the potential to imagine, that will likely eventually be Illuminated by future breakthroughs and discoveries. I personally still cross my fingers for the possibility of physical death having some transitional after life phase in hopes of existing indefinitely and learning/practicing increasingly greater things. Regardless of that eventual fate, I do hope that science sheds more light on the validity of intuition and the effective implementation of it, because while I feel much more secure with calculable and verifiable info, I am inclined to believe that there are other routes to knowledge that haven’t been sufficiently fleshed out yet, part of which could involve intuitive perceptions

@ChaseMcKinley

Yeah if you find other routes to knowledge, definitely save them and use it to derive a necessary reality, because such a problem is very tough. People think that ontological modes like "I think before I am" are going to work, but it doesn't work because the statement "I think" has to be proven as necessary first.

So basically, the problem with proving necessary, absolute truth is this:

"Let's say we have some process of necessary truth that is necessarily correct. How did we derive this process in necessary progression? How do we find a necessarily true object and the resulting statements to complement this process, and how to we disseminate between what is true and what is not true?"

^^This problem draws its toughness from the fact that it involves unconventional but rigorous mathematical techniques of axioms, and formulaics.

It's uncommon in the computationally dominated world, but I guess whoever solves it will be able to finally solve the problem of the honest person being taken for a liar, or having his words rejected because they don't jive with whatever memes that substitute for actual ideas that society has bought into at the moment.

@DZhukovin It’s kind of refreshing to talk to someone in depth that acknowledges the existence of important concepts that aren’t necessarily ever provable and doesn’t think it’s all a waste of time bc science can’t verify things like what Plato (and pretentious dorks like me that quote Plato) called quaila. Essentially, we don’t currently have (and may never find) the tools or logic to understand why feelings feel the way they do...or why physical phenomena such as the bcalculable changes in air pressure can be integrated into a conscious mind as a musical melody that conveyed intense emotions

@DZhukovin however, I do think that there are certain axioms that, due to their instantly verifiable self evident nature, are logically sound structures to believe with absolute certainty. When Descartes stayed “I think, therefore I am” the argument wasn’t intended to prove to you that HE was absolutely real, but to prove to himself the he was real; if we could comprehend this logical axiom if philosophy as analogous to the identity property exhibited in math like 1 = 1 and a=a, then our ability to experience any sensation coupled with our perception of it and memory of perceiving act as direct absolute proof to us that we (by which I mean me if I think or you if you think)are real. I just can’t prove to others anything about my not being a matrix character without a soul ?

I once played demon possessed while holding onto an Ouija board when religious people kept bugging me while trying to convert me and anytime they’d mentioned god or Jesus, I’d hiss and hold on tighter to the board. Wink wink!

Developed by a nasty person by themselves.

Check this guy out. He's been exposed several times for being a fraud...

Lmfao!!! I got a good laugh today!

Duh.

Something you see coming out of the south end of a north bound horse.

I know l have my demons. ?

Me, too. She comes out anytime someone tries to convert me.

@EmeraldJewel funny. ?

Great material for horror movies etc, but demons only exist figuratively as in the biblical sense and the mythological sense. They are not entities or illnesses..they are figments of other people's imagination..not mine.

"Demon Rum'..... maybe.

I can think of many answers....
(sarcasm) Awesome excuse to do crazy stuff
(Crazy) Let that SOG possess me then see what happens
(Non sense) I am the demon
(funny) been there and still here
(Non believer) not possible for obvious reasons
(Serious) Really?????

As someone who struggled with severe psychiatric issues that went undiagnosed for nearly a decade bc in the Bible Belt church leaders and Christian pschologists haven’t upgraded their rigorous (yet totally legit as they assure everyone) med school curricula to include things like depression and schizophrenia as being distinct from demonic possession, I gotta say I’m a bit jaded/leaning in the sceptical direction regarding the demon possession thing. I will acknowledge that there’s plenty out there that will not be uncovered in my lifetime, but if I come across someone who appears to be having a mental breakdown from imaginary voices screaming at them, my initial instinct is more like “Hey! That person needs a doctor and medical care...” instead of “Quick! Everybody come lay hands on this guy and pray super hard so this scary demon monster doesn’t steal his soul forever...”

Well, If a demon ever possesses me it better pay rent. Demons can be such free-loading ass holes.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:87503
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.