Agnostic.com

32 39

I'm a rock star!

"I wish I was a rock star," Kriss groused jokingly. Today Kriss and another volunteer mentor, Charlie, received the "Heart of the Mentor" award from the Wenatchee High School College Mentor Program.

I got the "Scholarship Rockstar" Award. I feel thrilled and touched.

Andrea, college mentor program coordinator, was giving out awards. I perked up when she said, "And this year, she even taught her mentee to drive...and hemmed her prom dress!" She was talking about me.

Today we attended the Partner Appreciation Luncheon at Ohme Gardens. Sitting in the hot sun (88 degrees), Kriss and I retreated to the shade. Speeches went on-and-on. They ran out of water. People fanned themselves with the program. The College Mentor Program was last.

I passed notes to Kriss: "I want to leave" and "I'm melting!" Glad we stayed.

Since 2006, I have been a volunteer college mentor at Wenatchee High School. I help low income, minority students write essays for college and scholarship applications. Also teach them organization and the importance of completing deadlines early.

Often they are the first person in their family to go to college. It thrills me to send these kids to college.

LiterateHiker 9 May 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

32 comments (26 - 32)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Congrats

Have another one.

Coldo Level 8 May 23, 2018

Sorry, yes "rare"

t1nick Level 8 June 10, 2018

Congratulations. As a teacher, I know how rate these accolades come about. But it only takes once in awhile to keep us goung.

t1nick Level 8 June 10, 2018

@t1nick

Do you mean "rare"? Thank you for your kind words. Kathleen

Here's the College Mentor Program video on YouTube:

I'm in the school library working with Teresa, at around 1.37 minutes of the video. Kris (white hair) is working with Edaurdo. We filmed the video in the summer.

Thank you for what you do! Work like this is very important.

Thank you, everyone!

One of my best success stories is Brenda, who won $269,445 in scholarships in 2016. Brenda plans to become a medical doctor and pathologist. She hopes to cure diseases.

The first girl I mentored, Yulia, is a civil engineer at Puget Sound Shipyards, WA. Yuliya speaks five languages and is a trail runner. These are remarkable young people. I feel honored to work with them.

Being a college mentor is one of the most rewarding volunteer jobs I have ever done.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:88792
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.