Agnostic.com

9 2

LINK Draft of Arizona school science standards removes evolution wording

I just don't understand why people are so afraid of evolution.

Faraday 5 May 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

They are afraid of anything that can shatter their delusion. Reason and logic.

Because evangelical "true believers" are so blindly and deeply wedded to the biblical creation myth that they feel that evolution undermines the "truth" of the Bible, ergo of their religion. We must fight against these efforts without fail.

When I was a high school teacher in central Florida in 1966, I put my job and career on the line to resist such efforts against evolution. I was teaching biology, and my principal came to me and directed me to NOT teach about evolution. I responded that as a science teacher, I had the obligation to deal with all of the principles and facts of science, and did not have the right to withhold any. My principle responded, "It's your ass." I did teach a full unit on evolution and had no complaints from the community.

Stand up to ignorance, superstition and mindless "true belief."

Uh oh. Yet another step back into the dark ages.

Evolution says, stupidity should be fatal, and many of these ill trained children will live shortened lives. 😟

Idiocracy

godef Level 7 May 24, 2018

Because the adults want their kids to be as IGNORANT as they are! I have a co-worker who has a degree in geology, and was a math teacher, but he doesn't believe in evolution, or carbon dating (he believes the universe is only 6,000 years old). There is NO debating or discussing anything with someone like that. When you try to offer FACTS, he just laughs until you stop talking. So I ignore him when he starts talking about such things. he is very naive, but a devout Catholic who is CERTAIN he is going to that happy place in the sky one day. There's no arguing with a true-believer. Oh, and he HATED Obama ("He's OUT THERE!" ), but LOVES the Drumpf!

"IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH!" -- George Orwell, "1984"

I think the greatest concern here is WHO GAVE HIM A DEGREE IN GEOLOGY?? I only took one introduction to geology course in college, but you couldn't possibly leave that class thinking anything but that Earth is billions of years old.

Because it would be a terrible thing if Arizona graduated literate students.

yes!

Because they don't understand evolution and they don't want their children to either

Evolution contradicts the literal "word of god". If the Bible is wrong about evolution, it can be wrong about anything and everything. They don't want to go there.

Yup! The second they allow the questions to begin dominos begin to fall

@MarvelAnn with religion, people will pick and choose what they believe in. Or rather, what they will apply to their daily lives. The Bible EXPLICITLY says that the Universe was made by god, in a weeks time, in a certain order, etc. If that is not right, then why explicitly define it? Science gives explicit formulas for the workings of the universe. Once agreed up, they are absolutely right. They talk about the upset Einstein brought to Physics. Newton's equations were no longer correct. But, when you learn what Einstein changed, it only applies for things moving near the speed of light. Otherwise, Newton's equations are unchanged. What kind of excuse is it to blow off the definition of the universe's creation in Billions of years, vs a couple of days? I've heard the term "true believer" used. The fact is, the "extreme conservative" believer is the "true believer", who takes everything in the Bible serious. The others? They are liars. Just going along with the traditions and culture, does not make you a "true believer". Most people are followers, just going along with the crowd. They have not internalized the beliefs for themselves. Those that have, seldom want to hear the factual evidence, that their world view is wrong.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:89133
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.