Agnostic.com

14 2

Is it just me, or does anyone else think it is egotistical for people who believe in God(s) to think that he/she/or them must be male/female/or at least human looking?

#god
MLRoach 4 May 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

"He" is Fabulous!

LOLz

This is my god...

When one creates a deity it will most likely be in their own image.

"...if cattle and horses and lions had hands
or could paint with their hands and create works such as men do,
horses like horses and cattle like cattle
also would depict the gods' shapes and make their bodies
of such a sort as the form they themselves have..." [Xenophanes, Philosopher. Around 500 b.c.e]

It is known as anthropomorphism.

He made me in his image, so he looks like me. And I must say he is damn good looking.

I've always like the blond / blue-eyed Aryan Jesus.

many ot the ancient Egyptian gods looked like animals,

How else do you think a middle eastern man with skin of bronze and hair of sheeps wool became a blond haired blue eyed guy.

All hail cthulhu
Yup spitting image of me

Man is in the image of God.... Look here if you were inventing a God wouldn't you make him look like you?

“God created man in his own image, and man, being a gentleman, returned the compliment.”

Inherit the Wind by Jerome Lawrence and Robert E. Lee

I think it's egotistical, sure, but I think this is easy to understand when we take a look at how and why the idea developed. We'd have a hard time finding any way to relate to a deity that doesn't approximate our own appearance. The golden calf thing, for example, isn't relatable whatsoever. Believing that god made us in "his" image helps to strengthen the argument by soothing the ego. It makes it more palatable, especially to those suffering from feelings of oppression or inferiority.

Well, the Christians point out that man was made in god's image. I lean more toward Lloyd Pye's ideas in "Intervention Theory of Origins-of the Universe, of Life, of Hominoids, and of Humans" (Everything You Know Is Wrong Essentials), that.this planet was seeded and terraformed by more advanced races.
Our own DNA made sudden and impossible leaps, indicating genetic engineering, as the Sumerian texts, written 2000 years before the Bible was, claims.

no

yes

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:89756
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.