Agnostic.com

9 3

What's the difference between anecdotal evidence and scientific evidence?

Is scientific evidence merely a collection anecdotal evidence?
Which is more reliable?

The_Antichrist 6 May 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The answer to that is within the definitions of those two words.

One of the tenets of science is that is empirical. Empiricism means that any evidence or conclusions must measurable with a system that is as unbiased as possible, replicable, and conforms to the Natural Laws as defined through this same process. Anecdotal evidence is any set of conclusions that may make sense to the observer, but cannot be measured, replicated, or confirmed otherwise.

They are basically equally acceptable. It's not like axioms and stuff HAVE to come from scientific evidence, they can happen by sensory observation, thinking, etc. Scientific evidence is more translatable into research format, and that is why it is preferred, but people who are reasonable know what is fallacious and implausible, and what is not.

@CrazyQuilter Cognitive bias is when you assume that someone is making cognitive bias because they are keen to the politics of science, and know that it is not necessarily always true, or unanimously accepting of truth.

@JustKip The senses are very reliable. They underpinned mathematical method for ages.

Anecdotal evidence is simply an analysis of events that occur in a natural context or setting. Most scientific studies start with a null hypothesis to be disproved, and a design of study to test the validity or invalidity of the hypothesis. Both methods can yield valid results, and both (depending on the knowledge and skill of the observers and the design of the study)can fail to produce good data and conclusions..

Ok I'll give an example where the anecdotal evidence changed the science. For decades into the late 80's early 90's scientists were adamant that anabolic steroids didn't help increase strength or muscle mass (yeah I know but this WAS an accepted scientific truth) . Of course all the strength athletes, bodybuilders and other meatheads knew better: they took anabolic steroids and they got stronger and bigger. The scientists were wrong because they were performing their experiments wrong. When you administer exogenous testosterone, outside of the body's own production, the body's feedback loops sense the elevated levels of testosterone and shuts down its own production so the only circulating testosterone comes from the exogenous source. In their experiments the scientists were administrating enough testosterone to shut down the the body's own production, or endogenous testosterone, but what that left was a testosterone level the same or even lower than the original endogenous amount. So of course no increase or even a decrease in circulating testosterone will not create bigger or stronger muscles. This only changed after the scientists recognised the overwhelming anecdotal evidence and some of the meatheads themselves became scientists. Unfortunately many in the lifting community lost respect and trust in scientists because of this. Now of course this doesn't mean the scientific method is wrong but it is a example where the scientists were wrong and the anecdotal evidence was right.

Interesting example. Thanks!

So one mistake refutes the premise. That why experiments must be replicable before they become accepted. So for a period of time, the community was in error because they were looking at the problem incorrectly. That hsppens, after all we are humans looking and learning new phenomenon. They eventually got it right did they not. They used the scientific process and empirival evidence to continue until they got the correct results. Exceptions do not make the rule, even if it dominates for a period ofbtime.

@t1nick I said the scientists got it wrong and not that the scientific method was wrong.

@kmdskit3 but your statement implies that the scientific method was wrong. You presented one exception to the rule. That would imply you are saying the rule is wrong. You should clarify what what you mean.

@novoxguy No it doesn't. It pointed out how in this one instance the SCIENTISTS got it wrong not that the scientific method is wrong. Science is self-correcting which is exactly what happened. I was pointing out how in this ONE instance the anecdotal evidence helped to point out the scientists' error.

I once came down with a terrible virus, headache, aching all over, extreme lethargy, everything - it was nasty. So my mum made me a cup of lemon and honey tea to try and cheer me up. A couple of hours later I felt great, the virus was gone! So it seems lemon and honey tea can cure a horrible infection right? Of course not, that's just a single anecdote, not proper science. Do the same experiment with 200 people with the same virus, get my mum to make 100 of them some tea and I bet you there's no difference between the tea drinkers vs tea abstainers!

Scientific evidence is collected by experimentation, repeated to verify and then put out for peer review to be once again verified until it becomes scientific fact.

Anecdotal evidence comes from "yea it must be true because Dave down the pub says it is and he is proper clever innit and knows about dese fings"

You seem to be excluding observation, particularly of the natural world, where there is no experimentation.

Just google it and you will know.

Well, this woman at the bus stop told me...

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:90467
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.