Agnostic.com

47 7

The meaning of life????

So, I literally have no non-believing friends. I definitely have no one I know that is an atheist like me.

I struggle a lot with this question as well as depression because of it. I've read a little about existentialism and embracing the fact that there is no meaning to life, giving you the freedom to make your own meaning and live however you want. But I just can't seem to get into that. I grew up in a very religious household and though I've been able to shed the old beliefs, I have yet to find something to replace my old meaning of life.

How do you all deal with this issue of finding meaning in your life?

mandaquinn 4 May 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

47 comments (26 - 47)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The meaning of life? Recently I came to the conclusion that there's no purpose to life and so I suspect there's no meaning to it either - outside of the here and now. After coming to that conclusion - I don't worry about the other things that keep people up at night.

I don't remember the professor but he provided two wise and relevant suggestions:

(1) Look for wisdom in unusual places
(2) And every night before you go to bed, ask yourself "How am I living?".

In my opinion, if you're looking for a purpose and meaning - embrace 1 & 2 above and you're likely to find both - and then some.

The meaning of life? Relationships, ie. friendships, romantic relationships. Think about it, how many people do you know or suspect have no one in their life? How many people are lonely, reclusive? How many people you know have superficial relationships with family or "friends"? Deep emotional connection is a necessity for humans to be happy, healthy.

@mandaquinn I understand your situation. While I've made gains in my interaction with others, I haven't formed a deep emotional relationship with a woman, one of my goals. I grew up a very angry person. It's taken a lot of time, money, and work to get where I am, and I don't think I'm where I want to be yet. What you've written has touched a very dark part of me. It sounds as though some of the scars I have were caused by similar experiences you have had. I truly wish you the best. I have cats, also. I notice a similarity in personality between myself and them.

@mandaquinn you may find Buddhism helpful in how you relate to others, it tends to initiate a process of opening up and finding empathy and loving-kindness.

It’s a testament to the self importance of the human species (or perhaps the power of childhood indoctrination) and the creature comforts we have been able to provide for ourselves that the miracle of life and existence isn’t enough by itself.

I wonder if any other species ponder meaning as humans do

I think that the meaning of life is posterity. It is to cultivate a next generation that is either as good or better than the current generation. This doesn’t have to be your own offspring. You can do things that help your community and let them handle the child rearing

And when we die, we live on through what we leave behind. We live on in the lessons we shared, the children we reared, and our other lasting accomplishments. We ourselves may cease to exist, but our impact on the world lives on

I personally abide by the Conatus. The Conatus is Latin for the inate inclination to exist and to prosper/evolve. The more you respect the Conatus of others, the more they will like you. The more you disrespect the Conatus of others, the more they will hate you. The more you respect your own Conatus, the more you will love yourself and the more you disrespect your Conatus, the more dissatisfied you will be. Life isn't as hard as we like to make it out to be. Follow this and you will be gold.

@mandaquinn The conatus is the basis of Stoicism and Panthism. I was reading Spinoza and he kept mentioning the conatus, so I had to look it up. If you liked that, something else I really found interesting was Spinoza said all our emotions are derived from pleasure, pain and desire. Desire is the manifistation of who we are on an emotional level. Pleasure is the movement from a lower state of perfection, to a higher state of perfection. Pain is moving from a higher state of perfection, to a lower state of perfection. Love is pleasure accompanied by an external source. Hate is pain accompanied by an external source. With pleasure and pain, or happiness and sadness, it doesn't matter where you are, it only matter on which direction you are moving. If a relatively unsuccessful person is presently moving to a slightly higher state of perfection, they will presently be happier than a highly successful person who is moving to a slightly lower state of perfection. Later Spinoza concentrates on the curbing of desires, to have more control over the self.

A quick look around the natural world leads me to think the reason we are here is to shag like rabbits and produce offspring. And like all social animals we should spread the genes through multiple pairings. Genetic diversity just might give us a few more Stephen Hawkins. And enjoy the freedom with out the clap trap dogma of religion on the subject! Just saying.

Like anything else mandaquinn you choose your life, not have it dictated by other peoples opinion. The ability to choose your life is no more or less than my choice I have for mine. I actually welcome the diversity! ps. You can still choose to shag like rabbits, it's not just about having offspring!

So... there's the "meaning of life" question and the "finding meaning/purpose" question. To begin with the second, I'd ask what was the "purpose" you found when you were religious, that is now missing? (because you wanted to get into heaven? because you were commanded by God?) I read that back to myself, and it sounds accusatory, but I mean it honestly. How would you answer that portion? (pause for a second to think about that). Look...I'm an atheist... but this is going to get religous-y for a second. Here's my take on the second part of your question: What if you decided to live like a good REAL Christian should (giving, helping, loving, etc), but just conveniently left out the belief in God, or in any of the magical stuff? You know...just kinda, like you got a wild hair, and decided to consciously make a point to help all of the other humans. You'd be a better christian than most christians by just trying to do that alone! ... no need for prayer, belief, or miracles... just throwing out commandments 1-4. Just giving/helping/loving, and spreading that to others. That makes the world a better place. And, in the end, it's likely one of the foundations of where Christianity came from as a philosophy...to codify making society a more livable place (no. 1), and to then bring in mercy (no. 2, and the christian spin on Judaism). I try to keep this stance in life (christian without 1-4), and it works well. Not all of what religion taught should be thrown out (baby w/bathwater, etc). Being good to others, helping in ways that go above and beyond, and just being there for others is where it's at. Side note: It's all evolutionary psychology and neuroscience. Look at what makes the brain release good chemicals, and the path before you becomes well lit...be nice, make others smile, smile yourself, love, help others, make friends, reduce fear. Serotonin. Dopamine. Oxytocin. Take a break... the next section is about to start. Next section: The first part of your question, about the "meaning of life," is purely philosophical. If it has no meaning...does that mean that there is no worth in experiencing it? (consider carefully....with all you've experienced...if it is for no reason at all...was it at all worth it?) What if the meaning in life is to realize there is no meaning? (not trying to be a contrarian...but I think that'd be an interestingly valid view). So...if we take that it has no meaning... Then, what's next? Follow the logic a step further...THAT's what's next! ... (sorry, we're on MY thought train) : ) ... The next step is to look around and realize that all 8+ billion of the rest of the humans also have no meaning... we are just life forms on a planet in the middle of nowhere, just hoping to survive another day or millenia... but we NEED each other in the process... No one is alone, no matter how alone. A solitary ant is part of a colony...and wherever that ant goes, it leaves a chemical trail, that another ant can sense, and follow, if it sees fit. The reason religion exists is to answer the questions of the "meaning" in life, so that no one has to look into the void of the "truth of meaninglessness." Like swimming on the surface of mile-deep water...it's scary as hell to look into or even sense the void. But, like I mentioned, there are 8 billion others, capable of looking, and many too scared (ehhem, religion). What I'm trying to hint at, is that instead of focusing on the void.... you could choose to focus on the idea that there are 8+ billion others that are in various states of denial about the existence of the void, let alone their feelings about it. Instead of seeing meaninglessness...You could choose to empathize with others, in their own search for meaning, and empathize with them when they find a lack of meaning, and empathize with them when they find meaning in the wrong places... at which point, all the sudden, our initially defined "lack of meaning" isn't so meaningless after all... Meaninglessness is the uniter. We are human. We have smarts. We need each other. We can use our words and minds to twist meaning out of meaninglessness!! We are wonderful creatures indeed!! (So, I think I just figured out my new path!! I'm about to start a new religion, based on the juicing craze... and it will focus on the actual real ability of the human mind to squeeze blood from a turnip (meaning from meaninglessness), as I just did). ; )

@mandaquinn It sounds like you have a nurturing streak a mile wide... and that shows in your profile pics (your animals). Are you able to find any humans to nurture these days? btw...it is very thoughtful of you to respond to so many of these replies to your question.

To go out and procreate ?

How about this:
Humankind, and sentient life wherever it may be, is a way for the love universe to know itself... To be self aware. Its my belief that the cosmos looks at itself through our eyes, and this is why it's so important to embrace truth, and logic, as well as empathy and morality - real morality that is, not religious dogma and doggerel.
You are the eyes of the cosmos... How friggin Cool is that?

Dear Mandaquinn,

I have felt the same way many times.

It might sound stupid but maybe get a pet - a white rat is easy to look after. It's something living that you have to care about and they are smart, cheeky and will care about you too in a ratty sort of way. Mine sits on my lap and we watch TV together though we don't have the same taste in TV programs and it's mastered the remote control and likes those reality cooking programs which I hate.

Apart from the semi- intellectual dribble I've just read in some posts, we are actually a pact animal and we need to care about one another or an animal. We can intellectualise all we want but it want fulfil that desire to care. It's intrinsic in our nature. Get a rat or a dog (most cats are pretty cold though one respondent doesn't think so).

I wish you the best.

I feel ya on the confusion/ambiguity in confronting that question for sure! I know from having relatives go through hospice care that all your life has amounted to will be in the form of memories you’ve made...and my understanding is that those who die in old age usually spend their last bits of consciousness mulling over their net positive or negative impact on society, and particularly their loved ones.
My best stab at it that I can take would be to say searching consistently for as much clarity on life’s meaning as possible is one of the most crucial things to do in life. Right alongside that is identifying your skill set and ideas about which you’re most passionate and optimizing/implementing it to maximize joy in others, as well as minimize suffering. This appears to me to be the best way to find long-lasting contentment in life, and ultimately to foster the highest quality in your life experience (unless you’re a sociopath, in which case you may be lucky bc if you can stay out of prison you probably already have contentment through being free from feelings and being able to manipulate ppl to give u things ?)

We determine the meaning of our individual lives. Imagine the power that gives us.

Striving for goodness is my biggest meaning in life. And that's hard to define. For me, it's all about those beautiful moments of joy when sarcasm, politics, and worry aren't tearing away at you, and forcing you to compare yourself to others. Those moments where love of the moment takes over, and there is only joy in the air. Play is like this, and for me, music as well. I especially try to enjoy these sorts of moments if they are constructive and good for the mind.

Mucic helps me, and you need to realize the only true god is the god within yourself.

Work, learn, repeat

Most days I'm unable too. but then the meds kick in...

Cosmosism it’s like nihilism but you acknowledge that while life is meaningless in the grand scheme of things you effect the world and your community more spacifically in a positive way. I personally think survival and the growth of our species is the meaning of life.

Dfox Level 4 May 27, 2018

@mandaquinn it’s a philosophy originally thought up by h.p. Lovecraft which can be seen heavily in his writing although it’s often mistaken for nihilism because they are extremely similar in a lot of ways.

I don't think religion has a corner of the market with depression 😛

I don't feel like life has to have specific overall meaning. There is meaning in things we do, and that's ok with me. My kids are a huge "meaning" in my life.

Luckily, I have quite a few atheist friends though, but there are always room for more.

Once you get married and have kids, a big part of your "meaning" will be in providing for them and preparing them to have good lives when you're not around any more.

Me - despite not subscribing to any particular religion's doctrine, I do believe that consciousness survives death. That said I certainly don't know what the meaning of life is - but just because you don't belong to any particular religion doesn't mean you have to be an atheist and believe that there is nothing after death. Explore the possibilities and be open to the fact that you may change your mind.

Fins Level 4 June 8, 2018

I think a question like "What is the meaning of life?" is comparable to "What is the pholigiston of perpendicularity?" The question is in itself nonsensical. It's grammatically correct in form but entirely without substance, like many of Bob Dylan's lyrics. Oh, sorry. I mean like many of that fucking Bob Dylan's pox-ridden fucking lyrics.

Senex Level 5 Aug 24, 2019

The meaning of life is found first within your mother's smile, then more specially in your beloved's eye. In the unspeakable joy of holding your firstborn child.

Death and time cannot erase, the fact that you are, and that you have your place. Though eternity may well be silent, while you're here, make as much happy music as you can!

I don't know that i have the answers but i try to go through life being the best person i can be and treat people like i want to be treated. You would be surprised that just smiling at people and honestly asking how they are. How go it can make you feel

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:90774
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.