Agnostic.com

14 2

Going back?

Why there is no way back for religion in the West | David Voas; If you get a chance watch this on Youtube or TED. David explains why religion in the West is on the way out. He said, among many things, that modernization correlates with reduced religiosity as well as a lesser need for material things.
Do you believe that a person who has converted to nonbeliever can ever go back and believe?

• 17 votes
  • 21 votes
Grecio 7 May 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I voted no - with this phrase attached to it, "Being of sound mind." I could see an individual with Senile Dementia or Alzheimers Disease becoming a believer.

jmull Level 3 May 29, 2018

Fear. Fear drives them back. And its sad AF.

I would question whether a person is actually "regressing" in that regard or actually just doing what they consider practical for survival. For example, I personally know people who found themselves in rather difficult circumstances due to the health of a family member and joined a church simply for the power of being in a group that would help them with their situation. Often people who are old and alone join a church for something to do and people to be with, and (presumably) to have people who will inquire about their welfare if they fail to show up. Others join to "network" socially and for business. It would be interesting to know, in any given church on any given day, how many people are actually there because of "God" (i.e. have absolute sincerity and desire to worship); and how many are there for purely selfish reasons, including "people pleasing" (i.e. I go because my wife nags me if I don't" ).

On Memorial day the score is 18-13 with NO winning. I guess one thing that makes us human is that we aren't totally rational. Our brains make mistakes and sometimes are deluded. Our brains can even become brainwashed without us even knowing it. Have you ever heard "Our brain can play tricks on us"? It interesting that our consciousness comes out of a mass of bloody tissue and influenced very strongly by the enzymes and hormones that have varying degrees of activity.

People flip flop all the time for one reason or another. On another atheist site I'm on a member there always said religion would be "so neat" it it were true. Deep in her heart she wanted it to be true, she said. One day she left because she was marrying a theist. She wanted to be" married to god" so badly that she married a man of god. I believe this is one of the more simple ways of explaining a flip flop.

Personally, I can never imagine anyone blubering and crying tears as they say out loud, "Oh, Jebus, I am so sorry. Boo hoo hoo." In my case what I would have to be sorry for is a deeper and more critical look at a strange big book made up of at least 66 smaller books that were never meant to be bound as one in the first place. Then you have to always believe Genesis and the Garden of Eden story because without it there is no need of Jesus in the first place. Keep in mind that we have to have a reason that Jesus died. My take on it is that if he lived at all he died because he was crucified.

I think they can re convert. Say something pops up that they think they can't handle eg., loss of a loved one or ALS. Then they fall back tio what they've known the longest or what they first learned as a child. This is to have comfort or guidance. So yeah it happens

Sure it's possible, and it has happened. In my experience those deconverts who return to theism are those small minority who most believers think represent ALL atheists -- people who are disappointed with or angry at god, and/or seeking license, or, now and then, someone regressing under the weight of personal tragedy or ostracism by family. Also, people who are vulnerable to the fear of eternal perdition can be tormented by that and relieve it by returning to the fold.

Deconversion is quite a loss for many -- the loss of the only social support system you've ever known, the shaming and rejection of extended family, the social isolation for those unable to find alternatives to a ready-made community, and more. What's more remarkable than that it happens, is that it doesn't happen more.

I think belief provides a safety cushion against outside intrusions, it gives you a crutch.

I think if a person experiences a devastating illness or accident, they could potentially revert back to their old as a crutch. There is a comfort in asking an outside source for help and hoping for a miracle.

People are fluids never say never

Why would they want to?

After seeing Trump get elected l believe almost anything is possible.

I've heard tales of those who were non-believers going to belief (whether 'again', or for the first time).
People can do anything. If someone gets it in their head that they're going to suspend all rational thought and logic, just so they can feel better by embracing "faith", that's precisely what they're going to do. It makes no sense, but it happens. They do it because they WANT to.

Especially inspired by your avatar , I am reminded of this quote from a book . [thethingswesay.com]

They'd have to be really dumb if they did.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:92090
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.