Agnostic.com

14 4

Hey.... Who else is disgusted by the yearly murder of trees every December? I hate this.

memetolva 4 Dec 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'm disgusted at the whole idea of what 'happens' in December. The tree is only a small part of the delusional behavior.

For a long time, I hated the killing of the Christmas trees. I recently had it explained to me from a strong environmentalist point of view. The tree the we use at Christmas are planted to be harvested. I asked if it would be better to buy a fake tree and he said that in the short term it is OK but long term it takes eons to get rid of them once they have been thrown out. I agree it is disgusting to kill some many trees but if it is better in the long run maybe we will have to suffer through it. By the way, this year we bought our first fake tree. Here was a shortage of trees.

Besides the horrible screaming during the actual murder, it's not really bad at all. There are a lot of trees being planted and maintained in order to provide for the Christmas season. This means a few jobs, but primarily it means that young trees are growing and consuming carbon dioxide and other airborne chemicals. During the murdering, they can provide a wonderful family experience for people who hunt their own. Once in the house, the decorating and other Christmas related stuff is pretty great for most people. Most trees are then collected by municipalities to be turned into mulch. This sequesters the carbon in the soil. Environmentally, the annual purge is actually a good thing.

I no longer do trees; but, I recently read that cutting down and using a real tree is more environmentally friendly than using a fake one.

It bothers me a little, but mostly I just don't understand the concept. It reminds me of this:

🙂

I see fewer live tree vendors around now than when I was growing up. We've had fake trees for years. I think more a problem are things like tract housing, mcmansion subdivisions, lazy contruction where everything is razed then a twig put in place of old growth trees.

Also people like our neighbors who cut down city trees because they're tired of leaf maintenance. On our block we once lost 3 perfectly healthy trees in less than 6 months because of that BS. Don't like trees and dealing with leaves, get an apt or condo fer crissakes.

Not bothered in the least. Tree growth and consumption is actually good for the environment. Assuming trees are grown, sourced and disposed of responsibly, of course.

But I'm also a vegetarian, so if I agonized over the soul of every carrot and lentil, I'd starve.

Since Americans only consume about 40 percent of purchased food, you're describing exactly what people do. I'm not even going to address food waste from grocery stores, restaurants, and unharvested crops.

I buy a fruit bearing tree and decorate it.. Grapefruit, Lemon tree, Navel orange. Plant it after new years and know that in the years to come I will enjoy its harvest

I don't like it.

In the states that I've lived, the christmas trees are a CROP. What does not sell gets cut and trashed (or composted) and replaced with a sapling when the field gets replanted. That = murder about as much as harvesting grain or vegetables does.

Zster Level 8 Dec 20, 2017

I hate to break this to you, but trees are murdered year round. Not just in December. I would be more concerned about the whole scale destruction of the amazon rain forest. However, evergreens are ceremoniously slaughtered for tradition in December only to remind us that spring is coming.

yes it's a terrible thing to do

As most trees are harvested, and replaced with seedlings, from farms, it doesn’t bother me at all.

Though most states do have free tree harvesting in their National Forests. These areas are monitored, and rotated to specifically protect the forests of being decimated from these harvests.

What bothers me more are the millions of fake trees that are filling our landfills. They are made from crappy products, easily broken, and cheaply replaced.

Fresh trees create jobs and revenue for many Americans. Our trees are even shipped to other countries.

Fake trees are made in China. And they are laughing all the way to the bank about their toxic, inferior crappy products.

wouldn't it be better for everything to grow a tree in your garden and dress it up in your garden every year rather than killing them every year?

What about the rape of my ears on every radio station. Sorry I'm selfish the trees have to fight their own battle my ears are under attack.

Saaaanta Claus is Coming to Town!
Saaaanta Claus is coming to Town!...

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:9272
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.