Agnostic.com

37 8

What do agnostics say instead of "Thoughts and Prayers"?

I don't hate a lot of things, but cliches are definitely in the Top 5. When I see "my thoughts and prayers are with you" in the wake of a death or tragedy, it makes me gnash my teeth because I think it's just something people say, even when they're not thinking/praying.

Supercali 6 May 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

37 comments (26 - 37)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

BOB bless you...

Sending positive vibes— sending well wishes- sending love & light

To dispell darkness we introduce light. "Sending love and light" has a profoundly spiritual meaning. You say it when you want to touch a soul.

I like that!

Difficult to comfort people who are grieving. "My thoughts are with you & your family" is ok. I don't say "rest in peace", "he's in a better place now," etc... I just talk about my memories with the deceased, and offer any help the family needs.

Elie Level 3 May 28, 2018

I am sorry for their loss and offer appropriate assistance as I am able....I would never impose my thoughts upon griefstruck people and prEyer is an admission of incompetence and ignorance

My thoughts are with you, which would be true. It doesn't bother me when someone says it to me, becuase they are wishing the best for me in their own way. It is the malicious and judgmental part of religion l won't tolerate.

Sorry for your loss, anything I can do.

I'm sorry. Can I help?

Most of the time I ask what I can do to help.

Duke Level 8 May 28, 2018

Thoughts and prayers... as useful as a chocolate teapot.

“That sucks”?

thoughts

same

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:92916
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.