Agnostic.com

17 1

Would you want the ability to read minds?

If you were offered the ability to read minds, would you want it?

On one hand you would know what people were thinking. You'd be able to use that to your advantage. Interviews would be easy. No one would be able to lie to you.

On the other hand you would constantly hear everything running through other people's minds. Constant stream of noise and information. Maybe even some things you don't want to know.

So would you want it?

silvereyes 8 Dec 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Aha, but you didn't specify as to whether or not you can turn this ability on and off. Since that remains open, I'm going to assume you can. Therefore, I'd be extremely happy to have such a gift.

@silvereyes That's just an implication. Sure, you could infer the conclusion that it's constant, but you could equally ignore it. Clarity is key.

Also, I'm an arsehole.

Nope...as it is my mind is a toilet bowl of useless noise ...

I feel like i wouldn't want to know what people were thinking. Some of the stuff we all think from time to time is just weird, plus it'd feel like a violation of the person I was reading.

Before I read that last paragraph I was thinking yes, I'd like it if I could turn it on or off whenever I wanted to.

Since I can't, I'll say no. Tinnitus is enough for me anyway.

Honestly I hear enough from stupid people I'm good.

What women want... Mel Gibson !

I think I like things the way they are.

skado Level 9 Dec 20, 2017

The only way I'd want it is if I could turn it off. I'm a firm believer that other people are entitled to the privacy of their thoughts, but there are some situations in which having that sort of access could be useful (e.g., dealing with corrupt people in authority or criminals). But, for the most part, I'd not use it— so long as I could mute it.

Oh... Geeze! ..... no..... I got a dull ringing in there already... all the time. I need a fan to go to sleep. Because I get hot and for the white noise to drown out the ringing. I wore earplugs for 40 years and i still got ir.

Reading my own presents enough difficulties!

That's "reading"

If I had the power to turn my mind reading abilities on and off, then yes.

I absolutely would take it, as long as it was dulled by increased proximity. I think you'd gain compassion for people and learn our motivations are very similar.

As a lifelong sufferer of tinnitus, I could easily handle it so yes I would want it.

SamL Level 7 Dec 20, 2017

So I can't control it? Lame.
I'll take it.

Will everyone shut the Hell up. Hell no!

No thanks! I have a hard enough time reading my own mind! 🙂

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:9357
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.