Agnostic.com

17 9

Got any old hobbies you stop doing?

My call name was gyrobob. My hobby was flying. I specifically loved gyrocopters. Traveled to different state fly-ins to meet other pilots. Theres only about 200 true gyrocopter pilots in the united states. Guys buy them and never get them off the ground. Its spooky... easy to crash.
Thinking about the old days. Took this up because i always saw them in the back of comic books when i was a kid. Told myself...someday.

BucketlistBob 8 May 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I used to do raku pottery Its quite good fun and interesting likeing what you get rather than getting what you like - I liked the story about the old masters who would get some charred broken piece out of the fire mad cherish it and mend it with gold.

Sounds pretty cool....

Painting. I would like to get back to it, but l can't seem to get into that part of my brain.

All through school I sketched. I was given a nickname doodlebug for a while from my mother. Then when we moved to a new town and she was trying to sign me into high school she pushed me into an art class. I didn't like being told what to draw and when. It turned it into more a chore and killed that particular hobby dead.

I did try my hand at wood burning and carving. I had fun at both but at the time it was just a bit more costly than I could manage.

I also have crocheted off and on since my teens. That I do more as the business of life allows. I'm just getting through a bit of a break and picking it back up again. I'll be 48 early next month so I guess I'm getting to a point in life where it will be as busy as I decide it will be.

Horseback riding was a hobby I really wanted to turn into a lifestyle until I had to stop due to health issues and parenthood.

Some of those things I haven't thought of in years. Hmmm...

AmyLF Level 7 June 15, 2018

When I was a kid I did some oil painting and even sold a couple. But, I have been too busy to engage in painting for years. However, on a whim I signed up for a pottery class this summer.. who knows maybe it will awaken my 'creative' urges again.

Photography. Cellphones killed it for me. Time was that each shot involved planning or at least had to count, given the limited number of pictures per roll of film. Now it's possible to take multiple photographs of essentially the same frame, so that the discipline is gone - not unlike driving an automatic rather than a stickshift (stickshift requires focusing on reading the road ahead in order to select the optimum gear).

Cell phones also impose a slight pause between the button being pressed and the taking of the photograph, enough to alter the composition of, say, a shot of sea waves or birds in flight.

Origami

That must be a really cool sensation, flying around solo as long as you trust the machine. Was it hard to learn to pilot? The hobbies I stopped doing for the most part involve sports. Playing, watching and collecting baseball/basketball cards. Had a coin collection lost or stolen and never picked it back up. Was a mobile FPS gamer for a year or so recently and no longer have time. Visual art I put down and take back up every few years. Music is the one hobby that I’ll have as long as my fingers move.

You have potential my brother.
Join the P.R.A. which is the popular rotorcraft association. They are on the internet. Look around in there for a Tennessee chapter in there and go visit it. Meet them.

That looks fun, but also very dangerous.

It's what they call a death wish. You have 1each, 5/8" bolt, that carries the whole load. You figure you already need to know how to fly. Then buy one these toys and spend hours of training prior to flying a pattern. It took time and money. I treated myself with a hobby that did not allow me to make a mistake. It's like I was running from who I was and I was daring myself to fuck up.

@BucketlistBob

I'm glad you saw the light (in an atheist way). Be safe.

I used to enjoy assembling model cars.

Did a lot of that as a kid. You could learn a lot about cars, and engines, that way; great hobby.

Neat hobby. Mine was aquariums. I had 5 tanks at one point. Never again.

When I think about them, I'm always reminded of this scene in Adaptation, Chris Cooper's portrayal of John Laroache:

For me it was dancing

Oh no, I still dance and you should too. Dancing never been old to me.... is what I do when is what it is.

Flea markets & antique shopping. Kaput!

wow Bob. there's probably a reason that there is 200 gyrocopter pilots in the United States. I was once into rappelling, a friend of mine fell 90+ feet. he landed inches in front of me. that was the last time I went. he turned out okay. it was a complicated fall. he was out of the hospital the next afternoon. after seeing that it just wasn't worth it.

Im not good at climbing. I was 10 years ago doing the wall.

@BearMcClure alright

Brave man.

I retired from sports.

even sex? lol

@springlover Never considered Sex a hobby, or a sport. It does still is Serious Business of the Most Urgency and Attention. Much appreciate for reminding me the Agenda at Hand. Thanks Player!

Model plane flying ,fishing,bowling,baseball, bocci and numerious others.

My new hobby is cooking.... thats got to stop. Going on a diet...ugh.

can't you cook and eat healthier than you can buy it? I thought that was the main difficulty was people eating out instead of eating at home. I bet you can boil a carrot.

@hankster hmmmm.carrots

@BucketlistBob bell peppers onions sweet peas water chestnuts? you've got them buckets of spices. get to chef'in man...lol?

@hankster. Lol.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:93626
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.