Agnostic.com

41 4

What do you think of people that think all you need is the Bible?

I’ve actually met people who told me all I need is the Bible for knowledge. Everything you need is in that bible. I’m sorry, but I don’t want to be stuck on stupid because everything you need to know in life and about learning isn’t in that one bible. I think a lot of religious people feel threatened by modern books. I could be wrong, though.

EmeraldJewel 7 Dec 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

41 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Seekers... some people believe and some dont. Wow... we made here!

To be completely honest when answering the question I would need to use several expletives

I don't think you're wrong, there are definitely those folks out there. It's very hard to have a discussion with them. Even if you point out the sad history and incredible contradictions of the bible, they always have a comeback.
Might be easier to present them new knowledge through videos and such.

I think they're woefully uneducated and closed-minded.

It is very closed minded to think everything they need is in the bible.....i believe truth and the ability to reason and debate ideas

They can stay in their never neverland. Keep it to themselves.

It's an interesting read, I'll give it that, But this kind of person could benefit from an encyclopedia to read.

Dav87 Level 6 Dec 20, 2017

They've shut down the ability to question the bible by denying any possible contradictions. It keeps them in their safe place and allows them to believe the unbelievable. If nothing, not even reality, can open their minds to their contradictions then their beliefs remain intact.

They are so full of themselves.

I think hunk they need to forgo getting medical treatment.

I could explain and point out the things that have been proven wrong. Or I could show all the contradictions in the bible. But they have books and websites devoted to that subject. People choose to be ignorant and believe on faith and nothing you say will change their opinions.

It's a great novel!

Those that believe in only dogma are ignorant sheep and possibly dangerous as well.

If they insist that everything a person needs to know is in the bible, then they probably are frightened by not just books but knowledge in general. If a person can rely on one source of knowledge then anything outside that narrow scope is wrong. It's comfortable to be sure you are always right, it's safe and the only things that can hurt you are evil.

Living in reality is not always comfortable, it's not safe and is down right scary. How a person copes with that fear, is a true measure of who they are.The best way to combat fear of the unknown is to know as much as possible Depending on a single source of knowledge whether it's the bible or Origin of the Species can really narrow your scope of knowledge.

What do I think of people that think all I need is the Bible?

Hmm, I don't think much of them at all.

"A delusion is either insanity or religion, depending on how many people believe it." - Aron Ra

They are severely deluded or they're insane.

B.I.B.L.E.=Basic Information Before Leaving Earth. some1 told it had another acronym sum it all up noooooope

I don't think of them. They think of me carrying the bible they want me to carry to save meself from meself.

SamL Level 7 Dec 20, 2017

They are probably very simple minded.

I think they're delusional and mentally unbalanced.
That's extremely narrow-minded thinking.

Mentally unbalanced, no. Delusional, yes. Religious indoctrination is hard to break out of depending on the severity. I'm the only atheist in my family, and I have a big family and many of them are very successful people. I don't understand why they're so stuck in their ways of thinking but they're not mentally unbalanced.

@Lucas20520 If someone thinks that all they need is the bible for knowledge, I think that counts as mentally unbalanced.
It certainly isn't a balanced way of thinking.

Well, with her post she did use "all" and "everything" so then OK. I try to give Christians alittle more credit than to think they actually mean "all" and "everything" instead of just regurgitating what they've heard over and over. If you want to take it literally then OK, mentally unbalanced is fitting.

But say we left some wiggle room for hyperbole, still disagree with my comment?

@Lucas20520 There are certain sects of Christianity that take the bible very literally, Westboro Baptist Church for instance, but they're not all like that so I'll give you that.

That their elevator doesn't go all the way to the top floor.

Next time someone says "all you need is the bible"

Respond with the following:
"Prove it. Take off your clothes, leave your phone, money, shoes, water, food and all other luxuries. Walk out into the nearest forest and take only your bible. If what you say is true then prove it. Stay in the wilderness for 40 days and 40 nights. Return to me once you have done so. Show me how committed God is to humanity".

They gave up and said god told them it was ok. #lifehacks

At least it's a good example of a time when a christian says "What would Jesus do?"

Lol I will do that.

Because thats all they use when they ignore you.

Lol

Whomever told you this likely hasn't ever read a book, or any book, including the bible.

I think they're usually good people caught up in something they don't really understand beyond the religious education they've allowed themselves. It gives them comfort to believe it's all there, all written out for them. I can't judge that other than to say it's not a viewpoint I could ever share, even if I wanted to.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:9381
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.