Agnostic.com

14 5

Best advice for someone new to hiking

What is the best advice you would offer to someone new to hiking?
Everthings open - hydration, gear, fitness, shoes, snacks, safety, Day hike necesities, Night hike necesities, etc...
Any recomendations of brands or sales shoes, clothing, flashlights.

Any advice or stories are very much appreciated. Thank you in advance 🙂

I live in Arizona - currently day time temps are hitting 100's and rattlesnakes are out.

I went hiking a few times when I was younger. I've signed up with a hiking group. I just want to prepare myself as best possible.

Any advice or stories are very much appreciated. Thank you in advance 🙂

• 7 votes
  • 5 votes
  • 4 votes
A_Dama 4 May 31

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Stay off mountain bike trails. If you are on a mnt bike trail always walk in opsite direction as riders. Oh and riders have the right of way.

Get out and do it. bring water and the right shoes

I’m in Tucson, AZ. I recommend only hiking in the early morning or late afternoon. It’s too damn hot, unless you’re on Mount Lemmon. Also, not a good idea to go off trail in AZ. Plants and wildlife are unforgiving.

The best investment you could make is in buying good shoes with good insoles (separately). Losing your footing can cause injuries and poor insoles will cause lasting pain and damage.

Marz Level 7 May 31, 2018

Start small and build up, get your footwear right (blisters are absolute nightmare), really plan what you're taking (including the people) and most of all, just enjoy the experience 🙂

Everyone has different shaped feet, so spend some time actually trying on and walking around the store in the boots you are thinking about purchasing. Pick whatever feels best on your foot, ignore what it looks like and just go by quality of build. I would also recommend a tall boot and I personally am a fan of a shank and nonmetallic safety toes (I'm a bit clumsy and this protects me from stubbing my toes).

I like camel packs, and the pro and con is that it gets me to drink more, since I don't have to; grab a water bottle, open it, drink, and properly stow it. That also means I drink more, so I run out faster, but that might not be a problem for you.

If you are just starting out, I would do short hikes with other people, it is more fun and you can explore a new area with someone who is more familiar with it. If you are going by yourself, let someone know where you are going, and let them know about when you plan on being back. Don't rely on your phone, scenic places usually don't have cell coverage, so have a GPS or (my favorite) an actual map and know how to use them.

Also, I would absolutely make yourself a survival pack of things you will need if something goes wrong. Store bought packs do have some good things in them, but if you put it together yourself you will have a complete pack that you know what everything is, how to use it and you don't just have gimmicky junk in there.

But most importantly, have a great time!!!

Since remission from Cancer hiking has been limited last five years. I was an avid mountain climber and white water canoer

Take plenty of bug spray and water.

@A_Dama yeah they love me too. I have to drown myself in bug spray

I spent $150 on a pair of hiking boots and they are worth every penny. I broke them in by wearing them to work for a few hours a day.

I do carry a lot of water because it is Florida but recently bought a camel pack which is a backpack with a 2liter bladder that holds water.

I only go solo on well known local trails that will eventually end up where I started

@A_Dama Not difficult but somewhat time consuming. I filled it with water and a bit of bleach for the initial cleaning. Needs good airflow to dry or use a blow dryer to dry it. The bladder wants to lie flat when empty so trapped water could become a mildew issue.

But it beats having to carry water since the camel packs are worn higher. There are a couple of pockets and some lacing for carrying other supplies

Ive never tested it but they could probably be worn under a regular back pack as well.

The only downside is that you look quite silly sucking on that straw LOL

Sunscreen, hat and hydration. break in your footwear well before your first long hike. Oh and pack extra socks.

@A_Dama Groups are fun! Have a great time!

I'm also in AZ.
Check before you go, there's a lot of forest closures right now because of the high fire danger.
Just spent last weekend in the high country. Beautiful during the day but still quite cold at night.
Don't depend on your phone.

Rule #1: Don't wear cheap shoes. Hiking is all about your feet. Even if you have to scrimp elsewhere to afford them, buy the best shoes meant for hiking that your budget will accommodate.

Deb57 Level 8 May 31, 2018

Plasters for the blisters , salted peanuts , and a decent iPod

@A_Dama Metal mainly i probably should listen to something more relaxing but it helps me treck lol

First off, if you buy hiking poles, I will point and laugh at you. Other than that, don't go by brand names. What works for some won't work for others. If you are long distance hiking, forget the nalgene bottle and go with a bottle of water from the gas station. Nalgene is nice, but it's heavy. Only wear jeans if you are self loathing. Check out army surplus stores before you buy matching LL Bean everything.

@A_Dama
In that case, carry common sense, be extremely aware of your surroundings, and most of all, have a wonderful time exploring!

Don't overdo it. Esp in AZ. As far as you go from home, you have to go back. If you go until you Are tired you might not walk out.

A real GPS, not your phone. Phone won't navigate after losing signal. And the biggest camelback you are able to carry comfortably.

@A_Dama I've never been measured for one. And they come in all shapes and sizes. I'd go the biggest off the shelf camelback you fit. Are you planning to overnight?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:95174
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.