Agnostic.com

9 1

Firebrand atheists

I have been thinking about where do I belong in the atheist community am I soft sided or a firebrand but more that I think about it I think I may identify as a firebrand I’m still rather new in my journey is there anyone that can help me to find out where I fit?

AJimboShep82 7 June 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I've been an outspoken atheist for many decades and have never encountered the "Firebrand atheist" term.

My position is I care about truth (things that can be demonstrated) over faith (belief without evidence) As there is no evidence for a god, the positive burden of proof has not been met by theists and as I am not a theist, I am an a (not) theist.

Do I actively debate theists, occasionally causing them to cower like scared children and whimper like beaten dogs, Yes.

Have I de-converted a few - Yes.

Do I consider myself a "firebrand? After looking up the definition, I appear to fall within that parameter. [fuckthebible.wordpress.com]

It is not so much about the label itself but rather about what I stand for where I stand and an honest introspection of ones values and taking an honest inventory.

I'm fairly new to our journey as well. Take it one day at a time and hope for the best.

You do not have to label yourself but I'm a firebrand atheist and I have no trouble with that or David Silverman. If you beat around the bush people do not hear you so well.

You do you ... my opinion of where you fit in does not count. That's something you can only feel out for yourself.

There are no obligations involved in being an atheist ... it is just a lack of belief in deities, it's entirely definitional.

Considered atheism is just one small side effect of being a skeptic and critical thinker. I try to focus on that. My personal malfunction with religion isn't so much beliefs that I disagree with or related issues I had as a theist, as that it promotes a failed epistemology that is a societal harm. In this way I try to keep things more objective and focused on concrete issues rather than differing beliefs.

Yeah I just couldn’t help but thinking what sort of atheist that I define myself as to me it’s about where I stand and what I stand for with this post and trying to find my way that works for me

I think it's important to remember that not everything is about god, or the lack of one. Keep it in context.

By all means, be outspoken and absolutely uncompromising - as species, we should really move past the whole "freedom of worship" thing, and arrive at the only acceptable concept of "freedom from worship". Refuse to accept any kind of religious belief, justification, motivation, preaching or any of that other crap they love to pull. This is imperative.

However, if you see someone - who happens to be religious - doing something that you deem to be just and righteous, don't attack their belief, or attempt to break their spirit. As long as they are doing the right thing without trying to tack on their belief onto it, don't interfere.

I prefer the term atheist activist, or anti-theist, but if someone wants to call me a firebrand atheist, then fine with me. I certainly distinguish myself from agnostics, passive atheists, so-called apatheists, and 'I don't believe in religion but...(I still hold a candle for religion because I can't let it go)" types. So, be outspoken and forthright. There are more and more of us.

I consider myself firebrand-ish. I don't walk around with a chip on my shoulder, but if engaged, I will speak my mind.

Never heard of a firebrand. Time to pull up my friend, Google.

I think it depends on what you feel inside. I’m not an atheist at all, but to break away from my Baptist upbringing required a measure of anger, so I was a firebrand rebel for a long time. I absolutely was not going to allow myself to be lulled back in, and anger was needed.

At this point I have no need for anger. There’s no threat at all. I know who I am and what my values are, so anger would just be an impediment to happiness. Some of my best friends are Baptists.
(Not that I’d want my daughter to marry one).

The reason I ask is I have no issue of sharing with others that I am an atheist and I still have the mindset of “live and let live” until I am or atheism is attacked by theists which irratates me because from what I observed when I was a theist I have noticed just how competitive and closed minded that theists are I always got the impression when theists are as competitive as they are it’s like selecting a favourite baseball team to get behind when they imply or even say if you don’t follow what we believe and how you believe your going to hell thats like saying my baseball team is going to win the championship you better switch over or you will never see your team win( analogy intended with baseball)

@AShep82 I know exactly what you mean. Some of that arrogance can be hard to take. Luckily not all church people are that way. You could be a firebrand when under attack maybe, and otherwise just be your normal nice guy with the live and let live mentality. For myself, I don’t think that a person’s opinion about religion is all that important because no one really knows anything except superficially. No one can define or understand God, and we don’t understand reality or our consciousness. We don’t even know who or what we are IMO. The most honest state of mind would just be bewilderment.

Love supersedes ego, but sometimes ego serves a purpose temporarily.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:97397
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.