Agnostic.com

40 29

Reasons to Remain Single

"Anyone who lives alone and manifests no longing to be in a relationship is – in our times – almost automatically (though more or less secretly) viewed as both pitiable and deeply troubled. It’s simply not thought possible to be at once alone and normal."

I've been single by choice for 8 years and have very much enjoyed it. I don't consider myself ill-suited for commitment. I just like being able to do my own thing.

These years of singleness have been a necessary season and the first time in my adult life that I've been in a situation where I'm not always having to think of someone else's needs and putting my own on the back burner.

Someday I may be in a committed relationship again, but it won't be because I'm lonely or succumbed to societal pressure. IMO, when people are looking for a partner for those reasons, they tend to make compatibility compromises they'll later regret.

If you're single, do you enjoy it? If so, why? If not, why?

VictoriaNotes 9 June 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

40 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

That was interesting

The older you get the more you dislike sharing the remote!

I have been divorced for 12 years. I have dated, had a live- in relationship for a years. I have been alone, not really dated now for about 5 years. I don't get out much to places I might meet someone. I have made some effort thru online dating with almost no results. I think it gets harder as you get older, to find someone with qualities, that you are really attracted to enough that you want to bring into your life full time. Ideally, at this point, it would be nice to find a wonderful woman that lived close by, had her own place, schedule of activities, interests & pastimes. Some one to share time together as it fit our routines. I am probably to picky and set in my ways, so this is unlikely.

I loved this video!!!! I love things that put language to what I really didn't think of. Numbers 3 and 4 were perfect!

I've been single for 10 years and I've spent most of that time feeling sorry for myself and terribly lonely. But I have gotten to the point of not accepting what I don't accept.

Anyway, thank you so much!!

I guess I miss the companionship. At the end of the day I miss having someone to talk to & physically be near me. I’ve been single 4 yrs because I won’t settle for less than what I want & deserve.

Oh!...I don't watch TV

Single is best. I am an artist, musician and sporty pescetarian. I would find it difficult to meet someone right. I don't smoke, or drink wine or spirits. I simply drink some beer. My house faces south. So, I have wonderful light throughout the day. Windows open all day. I know people that wouldn't like somethlngs I do. I don't want "work".

I can sleep like a starfish

Xena Level 6 June 10, 2018

I don't have to share the remote control

I don't have a lot of trust in females after my divorce but have found that being single after 35 years just isn't that bad. No whining, no complaining, no spending all my money and no inlaws.

"no whining" "no complaining"...just by your attitude, which seems a bit knuckle dragging to me... I can see she had good reason to whine and complain

@VictoriaNotes I've dated a couple since, the last one told me she loved me after the first date which I found to be scary. I'm going to Alaska to visit my son in a month and my daughter in law says she has some Tlingit ladies in mind for me. All three of my surviving children have married out of their race so maybe I'll give it a shot.

@VictoriaNotes Thanks. This is my step son that I raised from the age of three and we are good friends, he has been there is 98. I know there are good women out there just taking it slow. My son has crab and shrimp pots so I should be eating good.

Yes. I do enjoy doing as I like. I would very much love the occasional dinner date or companion to go to a movie. Or, after enough time has passed and trust developed, a friend with "benefits." But I am not eager to open up my home and hand over my heart again.

Deb57 Level 8 June 7, 2018

Prefer to be single for so many reasons and it's not what most people think....I'm spiritual in tone to people. I can see to much in people most times...
I prefer after all this living that I have experienced to sit on the sidelines and cheer for those who happy and encourage who seeking the love, respect, and understanding that every living being deserve. I have graduated and arrived beyond so many peaks and plateaus....I'm grateful for my moments too that I had. I am feel good solo...playful and happy most times like a child but recluse and detached as a sage. Just passing through...

There are a many benefits to being single but I'll share this one.

Many years ago I started the rather arduous task of building a home theater. After much research, a common theme that was posted in designing and placing (big and ugly) speakers, bass traps, and sound absorbing panels was the required balance between beauty and function to maintain an acceptable WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) While designing the first 14' black ceiling sound panel with embedded LED lights, I had an Ah-Ha moment. Wait! I don't have a WAF. I can transform this (what was a lovely) 24'x32' space to meet the acoustic needs without consulting anybody about aesthetics. The early phases of this project were not pretty and it is still unfinished. On the flip side, If I had a partner to work under, I may not have had to re-surface a lot of surfaces that were painted black or covered with black cloth with the significantly better black triple velvet.

I am in a relationship but feel nicely single - Its not that I want anyone else its just that we get along okay in our own way we see each other at dinner time 1.00.p.m then talk a bit then leave nad get together again to watch a film or series from 7.pm to 9 p.m - we don't do coupley things together,we just enjoy each other when we see each other.

I'm single by choice for the most part. I do enjoy it for most part. However, I do want find a special someone to spend the rest of life with. No matter what there gender might be. That one of the reasons I'm on this website.

I completely understand your post. I got married a long time ago. I was 25 years old and getting married was mostly out of lust for the woman I was with. That's really not a reason to get married and it didn't work out in the end. I have been by myself for 3.5 years now. It's not a terrible place to be, but there are times I get lonely and desire a woman's company.

I get lonely too desiring another's company

Balfour....I feel this way too. I love being independent and living alone but if someone comes along and we can accept each other's differences and enjoy each other's company, have the same beliefs...I'm all for having a peaceful relationship.

Probably best to experience both, jumping from relationship to relationship because you're afraid to be alone isn't better than being single out of fear of intimacy. I was single for a few years and made an informed choice that I wanted to be in a nuclear family and was willing to make the compromises that demanded.

Sometimes l do, sometimes l don't.

In the beginning the speaker says, ”joining couples for the right reason, because they love another person” The speaker then goes on to say ”Romantic love is a dangerous illusion” I see most relationships start that way but don’t stay there. They change and that change can be more stabilizing and satisfying.

”No one thinks their partner is terrific after a while” Many do end up in mediocracy. But once aware of this, the pair can try to change and sometimes having separate lives helps. To me, being single and doing the same things day in and day out is also mediocre. It may open some doors but it also closes some. Having another partner also opens doors to experiences one normally wouldn’t have when alone. I have been there

”We aren’t sane enough to be in a relationship”. Relationships can and are often frustrating. That is unavoidable. The answer is to try and learn and grow and understand another. Communication and caring are the keys. Success, to me, means understanding and working with another to make things work. Sometimes emotion needs to take a backseat to reason especially when one is trying

”Being alone means not inflicting yourself on others”. I find that having a pretty low opinion on oneself. We should all have something to give. Baggage should be downplayed because it tends to bring one down except when it can lead in understanding and knowledge to from past mistakes.
Relationships spoil love” I agree any relationship, single or together can get old. Sometimes it takes the loss of on for the other to fully appreciate what one had. I also agree it is wise to not rush in or out of a situation.

One can get into any kind of rut, single, couples, family, friends or habits. One rut is not necessarily better than another. I called my late partner, partner for a reason. I don’t need or want a mother or maid. I want a partner with her own wants, interests and, above all time. There is no reason why, especially as one has reached a certain stage of life can’t have it all: single, team mates, lover, confidant and sharer. One only has to identify what desire from the outset and strive for it.

@VictoriaNotes Victoria, I agree with you especially about deciding to be childfree. Again, a lot of complexities and exceptions. Communication styles are also tricky. Thank you for responding.

@VictoriaNotes sho nuff! Sure ya right....

If it's working for you, great.

But that's not me. I'm divorced for a year and a half now. Not liking it. I'm lonely and I have passed up on a lot of things that would be fun to do with a companion but are not fun alone, and the greater economic flexibility to do those things which derives from having a second income in the household. I miss , cuddling, cooking for one another and doing dishes together, shopping together for the next week's food, having walks and encouragement to exercise.

Some people may not need or even want those things. But that's not the life I want.

JFC if those are the only sorts of guys you meet no wonder you'd prefer to stay single.

There are respectful men out there who see their female mates as peers, equals, and partners, I assure you.

I was married for 25 years. I'm separated now. One of the really nicest things I enjoy about being single is reading in bed at night, with some music playing too! On a different but related issue, what about the MGTOW guys who have renounced relationships with women? Between Incels and MGTOWs, it's becoming a strange world.

Vicoria, I always find enough time to read and absorb your posts! While I am single with the same sentiments you have in your last two paragraphs (less the stated questions). Now, I would like to have someone special in my life with whom I can share mutual interests. That doesn't mean marriage or a "live-in" situation. One of my big emotional issues is SOME women's tendency to control. I've grown out of that and have broken off a friendship with a woman due to her "need" to always correct or qualify what I say. You say it very well, "Someday I may be in a committed relationship again, but it won't be because I'm lonely or succumbed to societal pressure." Yes, there is a built-in desire for mutual admiration. The impulse not to be alone is deadly. I've been married and felt lonely, that's misery!!

@VictoriaNotes As I see my father's behavior with my experience in psychotherapy, he needed something to support his insecurity. Within the Catholic faith, there are those tenants that the wife be subservient to the husband. His insecurity drove him to speak with the parish priest with the idea, I'm sure, of getting my mother to be more "dutiful" in her behavior toward him. I was told by my mother the priest's reply was, "Walter leave Dolly alone!" In other words, sometimes(??) men are insecure little boys inside. Christianity tells them that they are correct in controlling their spouse as a sign of submission/love. (What could be more BS?!?!? How F**ng archaic?!?!? The idea that modern man has to lean on writings several thousands of years old, is lunacy!!)

I've been single since I separated from my 2nd wife in 2006. The toxicity in the marital home because of her children made living there any longer impossible.
In all this time since, I have yet to find out what's so great about being single. I'm not egotistical enough that I have to have things my way all the time. Now I choose not to remarry for various reasons that are not related to fear of commitment. If the circumstances were right, I'd remarry in a heartbeat. I quite enjoy being in a loving committed relationship with an intelligent non-selfish caring attractive woman. I miss the cuddling on the sofa watching a movie. I love the scent of a woman with good hygiene. I miss intimacy. I miss waking up in the morning with her in my arms and that she desires and craves those feelings as much as I do. Life is meant to be shared, in my humble opinion. To me, I don't see the point in doing so many things if I don't have anyone to share them with. So I've been single now for over 12 years, but it's not by choice. It's been the lack of not finding the right woman who desires to share her life and be adored by a tender loving man who cares deeply about her and is diligent about the importance of allowing her the alone times that everyone needs occasionally, but NOT 100% of the time. Sexual compatibility and attitudes about intimacy will make or break any good relationship so both partners should remain having an open mind. Compromise is key to a good relationship with neither one feeling like they have to have everything their way, cause I certainly don't feel that way. In summary, I can live quite content being alone, I just don't desire to.

great clip, especially the visuals 🙂

after having entered into one relationship after the other for 35 years with overlaps more often than not, & often having felt abandoned, ill-treated or lonely, i have been living a solitary life now for the past 12 years - & i like it. there are moments, mostly towards the end of a day, when i feel lonely. i occasionally experience a lack of physical attention & affection (not necessarily sex), & i realize that the company of another can widen my horizon & challenge my courage more than i can do myself. all these little shortcomings aren't sufficient yet to have me craving a relationship. if it happens, my mind, my arms & my heart are open, but i'd rather that he keeps his personal space & i'll have mine 🙂

At almost 60, I have been unattached for all but 18 years.
Would love to be in a good relationship, but rather be single than n a bad one.

Hear hear!!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:97531
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.