Agnostic.com

28 6

Does anyone think if we get serious that we will be able to save the earth from overheating?

• 12 votes
  • 33 votes
Marine 8 June 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

28 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It will take a massive endeavor by everyone on the planet buts science should be able to do it. The problem is making the wealthy realize all their money will not help them survive if the planet is destroyed.

This may be why so many of the wealthy are sinking so much money into astronautics and private-sector space exploration. The wealthy as a sociological collective largely seem to operate on a universal commoditization (read: exploitation) model. It is within their plans, long term, to drain the resources of their environment, hoard them and use them to further amass material wealth at extreme expense to those now lacking those resources, and then remove themselves to a new, untapped resource environment, apathetic to the conditions left in the wake of their past endeavors, to begin the cycle anew.

I'm with Neil deGrasse Tyson the Earth is going to be just fine. humans however, are fucked. I believe it's too late. the human race is just going to have to march to its demise.

We can mitigate how bad It'll end up being, but overall we're fucked

No. We are past the point of no return. I think this will begin to be made known this year. It is possible, but reductions are not enough, passive activity is not enough. Huge carbon captures are needed, ie technology required. I do not not believe it will happen, if we couldn't act the easy way, we won't do the hard work. We have had a long time, I first knew about green house gasses over 45 years ago. I still do everything I can in the hope that action will be taken and every little bit helps. I have has a net negative carbon foot print for almost 4 years now, it is far from easy. To the point that I have to leave soon and walk to work

[qz.com]

It is only a matter of time. Cycles, cycles, cycles. The only certainty we have in life. Then new life will commence.

Well, that's the elephant in the room. the thing no one wants to talk about seriously or address. we will keep breeding too much till something gives.

I guess I’m of the minority opinion on this or maybe I’m just an optimist but I think that we are not at that tipping point just yet. I think that we can do something about it if we have the wisdom to act.

My vote is no, but not cuz I think the world will overheat to total destruction. Just until our destruction, and a bit longer. I’m absolutely not about people’s crazy theories like aliens being here and I think people who don’t believe in the moon landing or Holocaust are delusional, as are the folks that think they have a personal FBI person assigned to watch them. This is my preface to, I think we will one day look back and say (and by we probably not anybody who has yet been born) and say “How didn’t they understand? I mean, the bees. It was right there.” Plus the plastic. I get a lot of joy from living but as a species we have not benefited this planet at all.

I think we are past the tipping point. Though it will be our children's children who will get the brunt of our world.

My vote is yes and no. It is supposed to take about 10 years for the full effects in climate occur from putting CO2 into the atmosphere. So, some changes are inevitable. The sooner we stop using fossil fuels, the less effect on climate we will have.

On the other hand, there are vast stores of methane and carbon dioxide in the permafrost and ocean. If they get into the atmosphere, fast serious changes will occur, that will cause mass extinction rapidly. Worst case: Few animals are likely survive, and the Earth could be nearly dead for eons. We don't know what will happen.

Very true however the concerned scientists maintain that if man would do it's best to reduce these emissions the planet could retiurn to it's natural evolution

@Marine People can do much more than they are, but they aren't motivated, which I don't understand.

The sun will turn the earth into a cinder eventually, but we have the knowledge to control our own actions and delay overheating for other reasons. But do we have the will to do so?

jeffy Level 7 June 5, 2018

The flare-out of the sun won't happen until long after our species has become extinct but, as long as the global climate change discussion is perverted to suit the ends of those with corporate and personal interest (usually based entirely upon the bottom line - and the lining of their pockets) I think we both know that the will to take meaningful steps will be likewise subverted.

We can't get everyone health care in the richest country in the world....yeah weren't not going to two shits about the temp...even now...it might be too late.

No unified agreement on reality.
No unified approach on action.
No consideration for future generations.

Humans...a case of too little to late.

Yes, but it is close to that point of no return so getting serious had better happen soon. Now the qualifier: Only the United States is missing from the mix. As far as I can tell, everyone else is at least reasonably serious and some of the bigger players are keenly interested in changing things for the better. We have in place an administration that will see us bake, starve, and die of thirst before it will give up on profits and concentrate on getting anything productive done. We shall see, but things are not looking good.

I'm pretty sure we've passed the tipping point and we're goners no matter what we do.

Well, we could evacuate to another planet or one of the more habitable moons...but we're way behind where we need to be to make that feasible in our lifetimes, too

@ghost_warlock Any idea of the cost of such a project? And who will decide which lucky pioneers get to leave for Planet B? After all, 7,000,000,000 and counting can't all be taken offworld...

@moNOtheist Like I said, we're way behind where we need to be to make colonizing the solar system feasible. We can't even realistically do a manned mission to Mars yet, let alone a mass exodus

@ghost_warlock Which still leaves unsolved the fundamental problems of the mind-boggling expense (we're talking figures way above the GDP of the planet) and who is chosen to take the relatively few seats available. And then, of course, there's finding a suitable planet that's within reach...

There is some evidence to support that climate change happens naturally in cycles, but I believe it's been established that despite climate cycles our dependence on fossil fuels (which has so much money and global political influence the odds of shaking free anytime soon is almost nil) and our population levels are speeding the issue up. If I'm being completely honest, and maybe I'm just a pessimist but this seems to be congruent wth what I've seen, I don't think any over-arching negative collective issue will see any positive redress before a catastrophe makes it 'necessary a week ago.' And then there will be a scramble for damage control and whatever half-baked 'solution' can be adaptive-engineered into place.

Very true

Save it from overheating entirely? no. I don't claim to know much about climate science but most of the scientists i've heard discuss it say it's already too late to stop climate change, the best we can do is mitigate some of the worst effects of it. Save a portion of the earth's population, probably, but I'm doubtful that there's a way to completely put the brakes on it.

This - and the march to the Right that seems to be taking the entire planet into a dark place - is the reason that I'm glad my years hereabouts are largely spent. Low-lying islands are already suffering the consequences of rising sea levels caused by global warming, and the US is not somehow immune - Florida reports waves washing onto city roads close to the beach at high tide, and making plans to affect damage control by means of berms and higher seawalls.

Getting serious is the problem

lerlo Level 8 June 4, 2018

I think we can save the world from over heating, if enough of us pull our heads out of ass and do something. At the very least slow down the damage to planet. I would like to see the 22nd century.

I wish I could but 200 years old is only for Noah.

There is no way for depth of serousness to control what goes on on the Sun.

We can avoid, however, delusions and halucinations by staying out of the Sun's direct rays too long. Might want to give that consideration.

I’ve read this four times now and I still can’t figure what you are blathering on about.

@OtherPatrick That's o.k. It's not for everybody. 😉

@Silver1wun Possibly, but it looks more like it’s not for anybody.

In reality, every time a volcano erupts or there is an earthquake, or even a small meteor hits the Earth, it slings debris into the atmosphere. Which further compromises it, which in turn weakens it. Plus, there is no realistic way to cut our carbon footprint to nothing.

We can take steps towards it, but we don’t have the technology yet to make a real impact on this planet. I do, however, believe that in the future, we will be able to terraform a workable atmosphere on other planets and make the habitable. But that’s still decades-centuries into the future.

No.

The reason I voted no is, it may be slowed down from getting hotter, but adaptation will be the only solution to a hotter climate! However, if we must adapt quickly, I see that as a real problem! So anything to slow down heating would be helpful in the long run.

It’s a loaded question. I am not 100% sure there’s going to be any overheating. The cycle might well go the other way.

I’ll probably get clobbered for saying it, but I also think that abundant, clean energy is just around the corner in the form of LENR.

We've gone passed the point of no return. We'd have to stop existing immediately for the effects to reverse. The only options left are leave or ride it out till the end. Everything else is just prolonging the eventuality of the end.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:98895
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.