Agnostic.com

11 2

Has anyone encountered a fake account on here?

Jlangston70 7 June 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Not sure what you mean by "fake". People are here with varying degrees of anonymity. As for people here for dating, I never encountered anyone online for dating back when I was doing that who doesn't ... embellish for marketing purposes.

The way to detect that someone might be in touch with you to lure you to their place to be made into a lampshade, is the same as on any site. Turn the sensitivity of your bullshit detector all the way up. Make sure any initial in-person meeting is in a relatively safe, public space, etc.

Eventually some way to become a "validated user" might be nice for the developers to consider. Two-factor authentication, if available and turned on, would at least verify that an account hasn't been hacked / taken over or used by someone other than the account creator -- so you're not talking to someone's child or niece or spouse posing as them and dicking with you or whatever.

Yes a few, I reported them. Like AmiSue said, Admin is super fast to remove them.

You actually just gave me a great idea. I should change my account from IamNobody to IamFake and for the picture I think the possibilities are endless !!!!…...but, nope... I have been and always will be IamNobody with no picture. Is my account fake? Is it yours?

Not that I know about, but I don't really mind as long as they're not being vexatious on purpose.

A couple, tried to sell me some god.

Yes, several people, one of whom asked me to date him exclusively, right away. Yet when I asked for his real name, he began hedging, and refused.

I usually block them the moment I feel suspicious.

Yes, sock puppet accounts are present on here, and I've been harassed by some already.

pretty sure I am fake

Lols. Don't wobble 😉

Yes, people have. They don’t last long if they are scammers. Also, from what I understand, a few people are not using accurate pictures or descriptions of themselves.

I don't put my recent pics of me in profile because a reverse GIS brings it right back here and I'd like some anonymity until making a friend. Also I hate pics of myself anymore but there are a couple recent ones in the album.

@Qualia I get that. Makes sense. My statement referred to people who put up pictures of themselves that are very old and are not really indicative of what they look like now.

@BlueWave LOL well I've done THAT too! Once facetiously put one up of me at 12 years of age! Do you know HOW MANY FOLLOWERS i got that day??? It was sobering -_-

Interesting comment.
Have you?
How would you identify it as fake?

What is your definition of a fake account?

@Jlangston70 Many of us preserve anonymity by using a fake name, but that isn't the same thing. My impression is that fake accounts are less common on this site than on other free dating sites.

@doug6352 While that may be the number being fewer, there are faux accounts on here. When I used to peruse profiles often when first on here found no less than 1/2 a dozen and was messaged by enough who didn't seem to pay one whit of attention to anything in my profile I just started blocking those, a few of them designating themselves "beiievers"... I reported one and just block the rest as I come across them. Caveat emptor and all that.

@Qualia Doesn't seem to me that "fake" was the right name for those accounts you encountered, maybe "troll", which is a different concept.

@doug6352 I'm sure you're right doug. I've got no sleuthing skills.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:99317
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.