Agnostic.com

38 13

Anybody give blood?

Every 2 months I give blood or plasma. Its whatever they need. I get a recording back from life share on whose life I've saved using my blood. I don't know how much a pint of my blood cost. I know if your a pint short, a person is going to die. I like being part of the big picture in saving a life. To me it's the American thing to do. I don't care what race or country a person comes from. I just think of the child I may help save or the mommy or daddy that may get to come back home and take care of their family. If im breaking your heart then please go give blood to save that person or childs life.

BucketlistBob 8 June 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

38 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I used to do the plasma thing. Twice a week, every week for about a year. Things changed in my life where I sadly have less time for that right now. My sticking point is that they still don't allow gay people to donate. Hetero people can be super promiscuous and can donate unless they know they got something, but a gay couple have sex once and can't donate for a while year...

Here in Canada they ask people of all orientations whether they have had sex with someone in the last 6-12 months whom they do not know the sexual history. I am thinking if the answer is yes, the blood might be a no.

I donate platelets regularly. It takes a couple of hours so I usually grab a movie from Redbox beforehand so I'll have something to entertain me while I'm hooked up to the apheresis machine. It's very fulfilling when the nurses tell me things like "You just saved the lives of 3 cancer patients today!" 🙂

I wish I could give plasma or platelets where I live 😟

I have my 3 gallon pin from the red cross, however I haven't been able to donate to them for the last several years. About 7 or 8 years ago, they changed the screening test they use to detect syphillis. I have some autoimmune things that trigger a false positive for syphillis. The red cross has to do a more determinative test, and of course I don't have syphillis, but they are required to throw the blood away, even though it's as clean as a whistle. So they sent me a nice letter asking me to NOT donate, and encouraged me to send money instead. I've made calls and written letters, but there is no way around this as far as they are concerned. It pisses me off, because I am like you, it should be a humanitarian act that everyone performs.

I have done, and intend to in the future.

Yeah I give blood regularly which is usually red blood cells or plasma these days. It's purely selfish for me though, if I don't keep the other folks with my blood type alive and need blood one day, I'm screwed!

I have given many gallons over my lifetime and still give but not as frequently as I used too.

Alrighty... time to save some lives again.

I want to, and I used to, but I'm not allowed any more. Narcolepsy raises too many safety red flags for them, it seems. ?

I wish I could. I found out when testing to give my dad a kidney could not be a donor or give blood. Some inactive marker or something of something (hepatitis?) that I can’t remember 15 years later.

I give platelets as often as I can - it's a 2 hour time commitment that is well worth it. If a larger percentage of eligible donors actually did - we would never have a blood shortage. Here in the Orlando area, after the horrific Pulse shootings, there were lines out the doors of bloodmobiles and donor centers - such a great coming together of community. Now, 2 years later, we are donating in memory of the victims of that night. But it does not need to be a special event. As @BucketlistBob says so well - help the child, or the parents of the children!

That's great...?

I gave blood until they told me I had to stop due to my low iron,
and strangely enough, I'm not even American. 😉

I never question where mines going...
Thanks for giving...

I did when I lived in the city bit now I love 500kms away from the nearest donor clinic 😟

I feel your pain.

I havent because they had a restriction for people with tatoos and I didnt have proof of where I had gotten mine - which was a safe and clean shop. I think they have removed this now so I need too.

Yes, I gave blood until I was physically unable to anymore

I gave often, before I became chronically ill. It’s a great service to others.

When I lived in a more populated area I gave blood all the time, as well as plasma. Being the universal donor, I always felt it important to give back to the world in this way. Unfortunately, since moving to a more rural area, AND being told I shouldn't give anymore due to low ferritin, I no longer have the option, as the health care facilities do not have the equipment to take plasma donations, which would be possible in spite of the issue with my blood. 😟

Oh, and I am also Canadian, eh?

They will not take mine because of diabetes?

I used to give at least twice a year. The last time I gave I was screened out and haven't bothered since.

I used to give, I have O- which is in high demand but I got tired of waiting in line for two hours.

Our blood bank takes appointments! 🙂

I used to

Never blood..I'm O negative...I can't afford to be so generous. Plasma yeah.

Well ... hey... that's great too...

I have my five gallon pin from donating blood over the years. I haven't given in a while, though.

Wow..! 5 gallons! Thats a lot of blood! Thats awesome!

I have but I don't know if I can anymore due to the prescriptions I take now.

I did the plasma route when I was in California, especially when things got rough and I needed cash. Only legal way to sell a part of my body to help others. ?

Thanks

My childhood as a military brat actually puts me in a group that is not supposed to donate.

My dad was stationed in Europe from 1976 to 1980 and the military bases over there got their meat from England. We fell in the time window for 'mad-cow' concerns.

Yikes...

I'm there too, 5 years in Europe in the 80's and 90's

@Darthpug I'm not sure what years were affected... I think maybe it starts in late 79 or early 80... because I seem to remember we only overlapped the Red Crosses 'no donate' window by months at the end of our tour. We left in July of 1980.

Every few months someone on a fb page or something related to those days comes up talking about donating blood and this gets brought up. That we technically are not supposed to be donating per Red Cross rules.

It's all in here...

[redcrossblood.org]

...You were a member of the U.S. military, a civilian military employee, or a dependent of a member of the U.S. military who spent a total time of 6 months on or associated with a military base in any of the following areas during the specified time frames

From 1980 through 1990 - Belgium, the Netherlands (Holland), or GermanyFrom 1980 through 1996 - Spain, Portugal, Turkey, Italy or Greece.

You spent (visited or lived) a cumulative time of 5 years or more from January 1, 1980, to present, in any combination of country(ies) in Europe, including

in the UK from 1980 through 1996 as listed aboveon or associated with military bases as described above, and...

@Quattrostagione that's the same on that I see one many of the military sites I have been on. If you left in '80 then it's a matter of when you left Europe, but many blood banks wouldn't even take that chance. And to make matters worse there has been no cases of the virus in any Americans in Europe during those years.

I used to but after I came back from Egypt in 1998 there was a quarantine period so it was a case of don't call us we'll call you. I haven't heard back. But since I'm now diabetic as well they probably won't ever.

ipdg77 Level 8 June 16, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:99588
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.