Agnostic.com
4 9

Redbuds are edible?? Apparently so. The article from Dave's Garden website says the seed pods, young leaves, and fhe flowers are all suitable for various kitchen projects. Redbud Flower Jelly sounds like it might be interesting to try. But all my redbud flowers are well past and gone until next year.
[davesgarden.com]

RussRAB 8 Apr 30
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Wow, I love learning of new edible plants, great article.

They are and I have tried them. However, just because they are edible does not mean they are tasty. Very bland. I had the tallest Western Redbud in Seattle and it produced prodigious amount of seed pods. One time I found out the hard way that hornets like to make their nests among the seed pods. Often the pods stayed on the tree until they were brown and crusty but birds often used them as nesting material.I liked this tree so much I planted one here. It has beautiful flowers and the leaves are heart shaped.

JackPedigo Level 9 Apr 30, 2020

I have a whole bunch of Redbuds. I planted 3 from seeds I collected and then bought another 4 when Walmart had them at like 75% off. The ones I grew from seed have done much better than the ones I bought.

@RussRAB What variety of Redbuds? There areseveral and, in my area, most plant Eastern Redbud as they think it is too cold here for any other types. Wrong, ours is a temperate climate and, believe-it-or-not, it is also a drought area in the summer. The ideal is the Western Redbud which has multiple trunks but does not need summer watering like the eastern variety. I noticed I missed the part of the flowers being edible and mine is blooming right now.

Sonofagun, I never knew. But, as you said, I'll have to wait until next year to give it a try.

Lauren Level 8 Apr 30, 2020

Sounds interesting.

Write Comment

Recent Visitors 26

Photos 5,325 More

Posted by FrostyJimToo cold to plant outside for another month here in Wasilla Alaska.

Posted by FrostyJimToo cold to plant outside for another month here in Wasilla Alaska.

Posted by JolantaUnusual fungi.

Posted by FernappleI am trying to grow some extra salad crops this year in the new greenhouse.

Posted by JolantaBugg life.

Posted by glennlab My first flowers of this spring. Lotus and blue bells

Posted by glennlab My first flowers of this spring. Lotus and blue bells

Posted by FrostyJimSeedlings ..

Posted by FernappleIts Hellebore season now.

Posted by FrostyJim...don't be silly!

Posted by KateOahuI saw some pretty flowers on a walk today. I’d never seen a white Hibiscus before. And I do not know what the pink flowers are.

Posted by KateOahuI saw some pretty flowers on a walk today. I’d never seen a white Hibiscus before. And I do not know what the pink flowers are.

Posted by FrostyJimI usually drink coffee while planting seeds?

• Top tags#flowers #video #gardening #hope #god #religion #rain #friends #religious #world #reason #weed #weather #cats #kids #book #money #community #church #birds #dogs #Atheist #hell #mother #wife #children #death #Bible #Australia #florida #animals #Texas #Christian #hello #relationship #climate #Organic #agnostic #evidence #advice #parents #humans #coffee #species #belief #sex #atheism #truth #Jesus #apple ...

Members 1,508Top