Agnostic.com
4 13

What I probably mistakenly call the tulip (now identified by RussRAB as a Dahlia Tree) tree has this year taken off. I will try & find last years photos for comparison. It grew however out of a 12" long piece of stem only 1" in diameter, planted 2 years ago. This years flowering is going to be spectacular but pointing at the neighbour on the sunny northern side. The bees are loving them but were camera shy.

The last 2 photos are from last year. Note the flower was at the height of the plant ie. Less than 2 metres.

FrayedBear 9 May 14
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

definitely don't look like magnolia trees. our's have blossoms shaped like tulips. i might see if i can get a photo.

No mine are dahlias.

we have some of those around her (Van Isle). they are actually known as magnolia trees.
anyone who is a golf fan & has watched the Master`s Tournament in georgia will be familiar with magnolia lane which leads onto the GC.
those trees blossomed a few weeks ago here & the blossoms are just about finished.

New photos added.

I had understood the Tulip Tree had leaves with the shape of tulips and a yellow and orange flower. I can't see the flowers or leaves in your photos well enough to recognize what yours might be.
[arborday.org]

RussRAB Level 8 May 15, 2020

Definitely pink hanging flower. Leaves are sort of spear shaped.

You can see leaves on right of 1st photo & flowers upper left. Also in 2nd photo.

@FrayedBear - I see you are in Australia. Is this an indiginous species? The flowers appear unusual for tree flowers - sort of daisy like but difficult to tell since they are photographed from the side. I'm afraid if this is an Australian tree species, I will likely not be familiar with it. Perhaps it is a Tulip Tree in your part of the world.

@RussRAB it's located in W.Victoria. I will keep looking for last years photos.

New photos added.

@FrayedBear - Take a look at these Tree Dahlias/Dahlia Imperialis in the links below. Do you think we have a match?

[botanyboy.org]

[ucanr.edu]

@RussRAB Well done, thank you kindly. Photos 2 & 3 of botonyboy site look very familiar. Reading the growth pattern & adding 6 months for our S.Hemisphere seasons gives exactly what is described for pattern & die back. I have two more, same age but in pots. They are only a half to a third the size of the photographed tree (it is only one tree). All were left in the ground over winter (it can get down to -3 °C in winter) but are in sheltered positions. The in ground tree featured died back to about 2'6" after winter. Opposing branches have formed the two new trunks.
Thanks once again for the id.

@FrayedBear - Glad to be a part of solving the mystery. It is a gorgeous flower, btw. I had not known about this variety of Dahlia before. Thanks for sharing it with us. 😊

@RussRAB I think I paid a $1 for each stem starter at the U3A sale in 2018.

@FrayedBear - A VERY worthwhile investment.

@RussRAB If I use the two flowering stems to grow new stock, it will be interesting to see if it produces 4 trunks next year.

@FrayedBear - I don't have enough experience growing Dahlias to speculate, but it did appear that Tree Dahlias have tubers like other varieties. It would be a reasonable assumption that yours would produce additional trunks in subsequent years as tubers increase in size and number. You may want to research dividing your tubers if you are interested in propagation.

Ky is full of the tulip poplar.

@RussRAB The trunk did not die right back last winter. It is far easer to cut lengths of trunk after flowering than to dig! And should result in far more potential offspring.

@freeofgod photos of tulip poplar [duckduckgo.com]

Is it a coffee tree?

freeofgod Level 8 May 14, 2020

No. That's not it.

Write Comment

Recent Visitors 26

Photos 5,327 More

Posted by FrostyJimToo cold to plant outside for another month here in Wasilla Alaska.

Posted by FrostyJimToo cold to plant outside for another month here in Wasilla Alaska.

Posted by JolantaUnusual fungi.

Posted by FernappleI am trying to grow some extra salad crops this year in the new greenhouse.

Posted by JolantaBugg life.

Posted by glennlab My first flowers of this spring. Lotus and blue bells

Posted by glennlab My first flowers of this spring. Lotus and blue bells

Posted by FrostyJimSeedlings ..

Posted by FernappleIts Hellebore season now.

Posted by FrostyJim...don't be silly!

Posted by KateOahuI saw some pretty flowers on a walk today. I’d never seen a white Hibiscus before. And I do not know what the pink flowers are.

Posted by KateOahuI saw some pretty flowers on a walk today. I’d never seen a white Hibiscus before. And I do not know what the pink flowers are.

Posted by FrostyJimI usually drink coffee while planting seeds?

• Top tags#flowers #video #gardening #hope #god #religion #rain #friends #religious #world #reason #weed #weather #cats #kids #book #money #community #church #birds #dogs #Atheist #hell #mother #wife #children #death #Bible #Australia #florida #animals #Texas #Christian #hello #relationship #climate #Organic #agnostic #evidence #advice #parents #humans #coffee #species #belief #sex #atheism #truth #Jesus #apple ...

Members 1,508Top