Agnostic.com
5 7

So you can save carbon and oil, the cost of a lawn mower, get great exercise, and impress your friends with your amazing skill. Why don't we all do it this way ? Be amazed.

Fernapple 9 Sep 5
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Interesting. Definitely something for open spaces. I would make a mess if sything, I am confident.

My answer to lawn care on my quarter acre was to let much of the back yard go to understory meadow and to build as many raised beds in my front and side yards as I could fit. I have reduced the lawn by about 50% but am left with lots of strips of lawn between beds. A scythe would be hopeless, ...in my hands, at least, lol. Between my battery powered weed trimmer and my 25+ years old black and decker electric push mower, I get exercise and don't burn gasoline or oil directly. My mower is corded, so no battery to fade out after however many years. I have only run over the power cord once.

I don't think my CC&R's would allow my grass to get that long. I'm terrible about mowing and the city let's me know about it .... early (probably because they have come to know me 😊 ).

RussRAB Level 8 Sep 5, 2020

It looks like an incredible workout. The barefoot look makes me cringe.

I was going to comment on the wonderful things it could perhaps do for the figure. But then I though better of it, because the feminists on here might misunderstand. LOL

This is how we harvested hay. We kids walked behind the man with the scythe and gathered it up and tied it together with bunches of green grass and set it up in teepees to dry.
The scythe is the most frightening tool on the farm, right behind the bull castrator.
Sheep and goats make much more efficient lawn mowers.

Having said that, which is certainly true. I used to love using one, there is and almost sensual pleasure in sweeping through the grass.

@Fernapple Yes, I think that maybe so. For me, left-handed and nearsighted, it was always too frightening.

@Spinliesel And this young lady is doing it in bare feet !

@Fernapple Yes, I saw that. Still shuddering!
The only time I feel good about seeing a scythe is when Death is holding it in the Terry Pratchett movies.

My first job for the borough parks department when 14 or 15 included learning how to use & sharpen the English scythe which is held into the shoulder & pivoted around the front of the legs by moving with the lower arm only.
Here in Australia I eventually acquired a European style similar to that in your video. I've now had it for about 40 years, kept out of nostalgia.
There is a very good video of a competition between a petrol whippersnipper & a scythe. The scythe won by about 10 metrs over 20!

Yes I have done some sything myself but nothing like that in the videos. That young man is Olympic Gold medal standard. I guess unless you have done some you can not really understand how good it is. While the quality of the young womans work is just outstanding, truly beautiful, (The work and the young lady both. )

@Fernapple I doubt that the competitor is Olympic class. At one time this was the only way of cutting down grass or cereal crops. A scytheing labourer would have probably been expected to work from dawn to sunset cutting during harvest time.

Write Comment

Recent Visitors 31

Photos 5,322 More

Posted by glennlab My first flowers of this spring. Lotus and blue bells

Posted by glennlab My first flowers of this spring. Lotus and blue bells

Posted by FrostyJimSeedlings ..

Posted by FernappleIts Hellebore season now.

Posted by FrostyJim...don't be silly!

Posted by KateOahuI saw some pretty flowers on a walk today. I’d never seen a white Hibiscus before. And I do not know what the pink flowers are.

Posted by KateOahuI saw some pretty flowers on a walk today. I’d never seen a white Hibiscus before. And I do not know what the pink flowers are.

Posted by FrostyJimI usually drink coffee while planting seeds?

Posted by KilltheskyfairyI love all the information on the internet that makes me a better gardener…

Posted by Jaylo64Primative hydroponic system /an old shoe rack and coffee cans ! Cans above drip into the cans below !

Posted by 1patriotOne of the main reasons for last year’s ‘spike’, which the media and government agencies have avoided mentioning, is the Hunga Tonga volcano eruption two years ago.

Posted by FrostyJim...sometimes you just can't help it?

Posted by FrostyJimI got my first seed order in the mail yesterday! WOO-HOO!

• Top tags#flowers #video #gardening #hope #god #religion #rain #friends #religious #world #reason #weed #weather #kids #book #cats #money #community #church #birds #dogs #Atheist #hell #mother #wife #children #death #Bible #Australia #florida #animals #Texas #Christian #hello #relationship #climate #Organic #agnostic #evidence #advice #parents #humans #coffee #species #belief #sex #atheism #truth #Jesus #apple ...

Members 1,505Top