Agnostic.com
6 13

The snow has finally melted from my garden beds, though the soil is still frozen in places. What does it say about me that I find mucking out the chicken coop and spreading the manure on the garden to be one of the more enjoyable gardening tasks? I know the chickens enjoy it because they get to spend time in the yard (a Cooper's hawk moved into the neighborhood a couple of years ago, so I usually only let the chickens out when I'm around to serve as a scare-hawk).

Behind-the-dog 6 Mar 13
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Your chickens are so pretty!😍

Thank you! I couldn't agree more. Here's a sampler of portraits.

@Behind-the-dog I’ve always wanted to have chickens. Maybe someday....😉

I hope you put that manure in a pile for a few weeks before putting it on your garden.
Manure needs to go through a heat, or it'll kill your garden plants.
In high school we'd build mounds of manure eight to ten feet tall, if we went much higher they tended to catch fire because of the chemical heat they go through.
I kept three such piles, one fresh, one aging, and one that was ready for lawns and gardens.
I kept 15 acres of lawn and garden green like that for years as a high school kid.

Fifteen acres! An acre and a half sometimes seems more than I can manage.

This manure does get a start at composting in the coop (I use carbon-heavy wood shavings as bedding to balance the nitrogen-heavy manure). I read once that manure composting in the coop helps to keep the coop warm in winter; fortunately, it never gets anywhere near 8 to 10 feet--I've never considered the fire danger! I spread it only on beds that I won't be planting until the end of May, and I'll dig it into the soil (when the soil finishes thawing), where the microbial environment seems to finish the composting quickly.

@Behind-the-dog We had several species of chickens, ducks, quail, geese, pheasants, guineafowl, and other miscellaneous poultry, 1,012 adult rabbits that's all the cages we had available, 23 to 35 goats, 10 to 20 hogs, 1 to 5 cows not to mention domestic pets like cats and dogs.
My father was insane and ran a death camp for animals in Alabama.

@Willow_Wisp Part of me says, "That's nuts!" But another part of me says, "What a wonderful blend of manures!"

My sister does the same

bobwjr Level 10 Mar 13, 2021

Yes it is that time of the year again

RoyMillar Level 9 Mar 13, 2021

What does it say about you?

You love growing plants and the promise of Spring.

Well, huh, I suppose that's true. I was thinking more along the lines of "I have a poor sense of smell," or "I would have made a good serf," but I like your insight, too.

My Cooper's took a pet. Gwendalyn. A Polish girl who would sleep on my parrot stand. She went to a good cause. Feeding a threatened species. No free range here as they eat my salamanders, baby garter snakes, & frogs. I can't have that. I do feed them mouse newborns aka pinks. They are little omnivorous dinosaurs consuming anything in their path. I thought the manure should be well decomposed prior to spreading. My guinea pig compost is especially good. Spring is upon us.

Mooolah Level 8 Mar 13, 2021

I'm spreading the manure on beds that won't be planted until the end of May, so there should be plenty of time for it to compost. Polish hens are wonderful, but I only have one because they sell out very quickly from the breeder I use (My Pet Chicken). Here's a portrait of her (Pom-Pom) at six weeks.

@Behind-the-dog The Polish were bred to be pets. The sociability gene. Eggs are often pastel blue or green.

Write Comment

Recent Visitors 33

Photos 5,327 More

Posted by FrostyJimToo cold to plant outside for another month here in Wasilla Alaska.

Posted by FrostyJimToo cold to plant outside for another month here in Wasilla Alaska.

Posted by JolantaUnusual fungi.

Posted by FernappleI am trying to grow some extra salad crops this year in the new greenhouse.

Posted by JolantaBugg life.

Posted by glennlab My first flowers of this spring. Lotus and blue bells

Posted by glennlab My first flowers of this spring. Lotus and blue bells

Posted by FrostyJimSeedlings ..

Posted by FernappleIts Hellebore season now.

Posted by FrostyJim...don't be silly!

Posted by KateOahuI saw some pretty flowers on a walk today. I’d never seen a white Hibiscus before. And I do not know what the pink flowers are.

Posted by KateOahuI saw some pretty flowers on a walk today. I’d never seen a white Hibiscus before. And I do not know what the pink flowers are.

Posted by FrostyJimI usually drink coffee while planting seeds?

• Top tags#flowers #video #gardening #hope #god #religion #rain #friends #religious #world #reason #weed #weather #cats #kids #book #money #community #church #birds #dogs #Atheist #hell #mother #wife #children #death #Bible #Australia #florida #animals #Texas #Christian #hello #relationship #climate #Organic #agnostic #evidence #advice #parents #humans #coffee #species #belief #sex #atheism #truth #Jesus #apple ...

Members 1,508Top