Agnostic.com
3 3

I have a papaya tree which is prolific at bearing fruit.
Lately the fruit are small(tiny) and fall off the tree.
The fruit does not have any seeds in it either.
I googled the problem and found it could be either a manganese deficiency or lack of male tree pollen. I gave it mineral fertiliser
The only other problem I can see is that it needs a male tree nearby
I have a store of papaya seeds, but I only want a few male plants.
Amy ideas on how to sex the seeds so that i do not have 20 female seedlings and no males?

#sex
vocaloldfart 7 Mar 12
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No idea. I lucked out with some great Papaya from my trees...and the daughter in law is making a cole-slaw from the unripened fruit as well!

Robecology Level 9 Mar 12, 2023

I do not think that there are ways to sex seedling plants, at least not without expensive equipment. Perhaps you could grow male and female clones from cuttings.

Fernapple Level 9 Mar 12, 2023

My ex departed father in law used to be able to sex seeds.
At the time I did not deem it important , so I took virtually no notice.
He used to say "learn what ever you can, because although it is not heavy, knowledge carries a lot of weight"
I wish now i would have listened and leaned.

@Kurtn It is probably possible with some seeds but not others of course.

How do you grow the clones? And know which are male or female?

@FrayedBear You start with a known male or female plant, and you take cuttings, layerings, or microprop them. I do not know if Papaya can be done from cuttings, since they are not something that I have grown, but it should be possible to clone them some way.

@Fernapple how do you get the gender to change?

@FrayedBear You don't, you start with what you want.

@Fernapple How can a male plant produce female clones?

@FrayedBear It does not, you start with a female for the female clones, and a male for the male ones. If you grow your first stock from seed, then you will get some of each, thereafter you take cuttings of the sex you want in the percentages you want.

@Fernapple I think Kurtn only has one tree.

Have you no local gardeners or plantations to advise you?
There's always the ABC.

FrayedBear Level 9 Mar 12, 2023

Colby would be the best one to ask. I will try and email him

@Kurtn 😂 you mean Jerry hyphenated Colby?
[en.wikipedia.org]

Recent Visitors 21

Photos 5,382 More

Posted by Killtheskyfairy❤️♥️💚💜💙 In Brazil, this couple planted 2 million trees in 18 years, returning 172 bird species, 33 mammals, 15 amphibians, 15 reptiles and 293 plant species.

Posted by FrostyJimI had a set of these mason jar sprouting lids way back about 40 yrs ago that were lost over time .

Posted by KilltheskyfairyBest way to grow

Posted by KilltheskyfairyDon’t poison!

Posted by FrostyJimThe world’s biggest flower, Rafflesia arnoldii, West Sumatra, Indonesia.

Posted by FrayedBearSpring is bouncing in -

Posted by FrayedBearSpring is bouncing in -

Posted by FrostyJim...everything is bigger in Alaska! [alaskasnewssource.com]

Posted by KilltheskyfairySpicy humor!

Posted by KilltheskyfairyAbsolutely love this!

Posted by JolantaA good idea for gardeners.

Posted by KilltheskyfairyBut have you tried this method?

Posted by glennlabMy amaranth is over 7 feet tall, I couldn't get any of the really good pictures to post. but it looks like I'll have seeds for next year.

Posted by FrostyJimCharles Wilber, an Alabama native, made history with his extraordinary achievements in tomato cultivation.

Posted by FrostyJimI picked another batch of rhubarb the other day so I made cobler again then chopped and vacuum bagged 11 lbs ready for my freezer!

Posted by FrostyJim...it is a matter of taste.

• Top tags#flowers #video #gardening #hope #god #religion #rain #friends #religious #world #reason #weed #weather #book #cats #kids #money #community #church #birds #Atheist #dogs #hell #wife #mother #children #death #Bible #Australia #florida #Christian #animals #Texas #hello #Organic #relationship #species #climate #agnostic #coffee #evidence #advice #parents #humans #belief #atheism #sex #DonaldTrump #truth #Jesus ...

Members 1,540Top