Agnostic.com
1 2

It was on the radio again this morning. The Glen Field disaster/ landlord protection/ bail out scheme!

What the hey? Is anyone else getting irate about people taking substantial rents from numerous people in apartment blocks are getting help for upgrades?

I understand that they need improvement, but surely if the current owner cannot afford to make the building safe they should be selling it to someone able to make long term investments.

I’m not interested in bailing out landowners, why is it happening?

girlwithsmiles 8 Feb 10
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Think yourself lucky that they don't use the American Syrian or 9/11 approach & just blow them up.

FrayedBear Level 9 Feb 10, 2021

In England they tend to only blow up condemned building. But thanks for missing the point and providing no reasoning as to why landlords are being bailed out by the government when they have failed to take required action for years.

Yes, I suppose we are lucky the residents haven’t been misplaced.

@girlwithsmiles now there's wonderful projection! The point is that there are people living in inferior residences thanks to inferior Government, control of buildings regs, failure to adequately provide sufficient affordable dwellings for the population.
As to landlords benefitting it may well be you the taxpayer who is benefitting from not having to fund costly litigation due to thesesdefective practices.

@FrayedBear I neither installed the insulation that isn’t fit for purpose, nor supply the housing. It’s largely privately owned, hence my gripe.
It’s not the Midnight Oil debacle x 2. The installers should be accountable. The government are bailing out shonks.
[coastfm.co.uk]

@girlwithsmiles what part of "the taxpayer who is benefitting from not having to fund costly litigation due to these defective practices." do you not understand?

@girlwithsmiles add to that the cost of people suiciding.

@FrayedBear On the contrary it is going to cost us,the taxpayer, much more to remedy the situation than if proper regulation had been carried out at the time. The govt. has just awarded another £3.5 billion to help remove the defective panels. There are at least three guilty parties here. The regulatory authority, the builders, and the makers and sellers of the panels. They should all be held to account.

@Moravian thank you.

@Moravian I'm not disputing that do it right first time is always cheaper. However what do you want? That thousands be driven to suicide or burnt in their homes because everyone fucked up in the past & are now selfishly saying "fuck you, die?" While you're at it blow up the chunnel & stop all those migrants, slave traffickers & smugglers? You could also Guy Fawkes Parliament House & put those MP's out of business? The list is endless.

@FrayedBear Didn't you read my post. I said I think that the manufacturers,builders and the regulatory authorities should be held to account.

@Moravian Fine, after the job is rectified but they are not totally to blame. Weak willed spineless or ignorant politicians allowed through inadequate legislation and inspection this cancer.

@FrayedBear But those buildings are only there to house poor people and immigrants so it doesn't matter

@Moravian After the WWII many eere housed in what we called prefabs

[en.m.wikipedia.org]
[duckduckgo.com]

Locally there were houses with corrugated iron sheet roofs that were simply domes .

@FrayedBear I remember them well. I think there are a few still around. I lived in one in Bristol in 1975/76. The walls and roof had the insulation properties of a paper bag.

@Moravian The ones I remember were in Marton, Blackpool.
Corrugated iron is still used out here in Australia because of its ability to give up the heat. Also cheaper than most material other than asbestos!

@FrayedBear there are still prefabs a few miles from where my parents live.

The word on the street is that Glenfeld was clad in substandard materials because the local wealthy didn’t like the look of the buildings.

Whoever put those materials through as fit for purpose should be out of a job, whichever company put it forward should be discredited.

None of the people responsible for the deaths and potential deaths have even been put forward in the media.

They tried to scapegoat the fire service!

It’s a nightmare that never should have happened. I resent paying for other people’s failures when they have already left with the profits and, as far as the public are aware, have never been held accountable for any part in the problems.

But if you’re a fan of bailing out the nameless as they leave with their swag bags!

@girlwithsmiles it is not landlords being bailed out but citizen tenants belatedly protected. If anyone should be paying it is the politicians who passed the inadequate legislation.

@FrayedBear people creating products should be experts in them. This cladding was not fit for purpose. There are all kinds of layers that should have stopped this ever happening; not least the consciences of the people that pushed it through as fit for purpose. The thing is people were at fault, but this is taking millions from infrastructure maintenance that our Country needs.

@girlwithsmiles So you believe that if the Jews of England decide that as they are God's chosen people they should start killing everyone else money should not be spent in preventing them?
That if applied in 1939 when Germany invaded Poland would mean that you would now be speaking German not English in Britain.

@girlwithsmiles oh aren't buildings for habitation part of a country's infrastructure?

I’ve made my point, ( it is exactly that landlords are being bailed out, upgrades from them would protect the tenants and they installed substandard products), and am not a believer in the endless intervention of state to protect the wealthy, (especially when they are willing to let the poor starve to death on the streets).
It’s not the protection of the people in condemnable buildings I’m talking about stopping, it’s the means of paying for that...as already discussed.
Your emotive points about would be religious murderers of any ilk are pretty random and surely just a plea for agreement, in spite of their irrelevance.
Much money is already spent on prevention of needless slaughter, more than will ever be declared.

Recent Visitors 14

Photos 58 More

Posted by MoravianTory Corruption ?

Posted by MoravianA Tory Christmas carol

Posted by MoravianAny takers

Posted by MattHardyA Boris promise is just a lie that hasn't happened yet. Whatever Sue Grey says, no way is Boris going to admit he lied and resign.

Posted by MoravianJacob Rees Mogg is one of my least favourite people in the world.

Posted by MoravianBoris certainly has his finger on the pulse

Posted by webspider555No trump to take the spotlight off him now

Posted by MannanWhat do you think.....?hahaha

Posted by McflewsterEVERY BORIS SPEECH [agnostic.com]

Posted by MoravianPolitics in the UK

Posted by webspider555All set to go well with the vaccination roll out

Posted by webspider555Vaccine already in production

Posted by webspider555If Boris is mentioned then I cannot rule out it being true

Posted by HawkeyeNew to this group, thanks for having me :) Thought I would share something that has had my poor wee atheist brain turning for a few days (the article is a few days old).

Posted by McflewsterWhere Religion ,Monarchy and Private Education meet. Taken from the Book "BOY" by Roald Dahl "Tales of Childhood" [agnostic.com]

Posted by webspider555I’m beginning to wonder whether our government is just incompetent or are all these things happening just to get us in a rage arguing amongst ourselves.

• Top tags#video #world #hope #religious #government #god #religion #church #DonaldTrump #Atheist #BBC #vote #atheism #reason #friends #death #politics #money #children #laws #agnostic #fear #community #book #minister #Christian #media #belief #society #faith #rights #parents #dogs #cats #beliefs #hello #Jesus #politicians #truth #Australia #weather #movies #Christmas #wife #conservative #Wisdom #Song #kids #USA #Europe ...

Members 387Top