Agnostic.com

22 3

Dating and age

Is it easier the older you get or harder?

gg1491 3 June 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

22 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

In my experience it is easier as I get older. Not bragging but I am educated, speak in complete sentences, polite, in (for my age) very good shape. You get the idea. There are so many knuckleheads women have to put up with that if you aren't one of them, it really isn't a problem.

older you get the less time you have to waste.. then you look on dating sites and there are women that are like 45 and they want a guy that's 35-47.

I think you put up with a lot less nonsense. As a woman, it does get harder. I was only 27 when a man first told me I was "too old" and dumped me for a 16 year old. 😟

dam! what an asshole!

@Spudnut I did indeed. I ran into him at a bus stop years later and he was a mess.

Dunno. I have never "tried" to date, but only did it out of obligation to my family, who didn't want me living alone.

I get pickier, if that's what you mean, since I've been there and done that enough to know what I don't want.

Harder ! All prospective partners are either dying or looking for someone younger ?

you got that right!

@SeeCanU
Had plenty of practice !

The older I get, the harder it is to find a fit, athletic man who still loves hiking.

The majority of men my age are fat and sedentary. Ugh.

oh yeah? well maybe we're tired from working our tails off for 50 years?!? su there. ugh.

You just have nothing better to do ?

Good for you that you're still in shape for that. My wife and I have both been trying to hike a mountain near us. Every time it's whose knees or feet will give out first. Each time we make it a little farther, though. We'll get to the top eventually.

And the women who are up for a weekend camping and paddling across to a barrier island get a little scarce too!

Good for you; I have a similar perspective. If I am going to spend time with someone they must be fit, take good care of themselves etc. So many Americans are obese or badly overweight. It's awful.

@Mitch07102

Agreed. Thank you for your kind words.

@kauva

Find an exercise you love. In 2017 I set a personal record by hiking 326 miles with 63,210 feet of elevation gain.

Hiking is a transcendent, uplifting experience for me. I feel grounded and centered high in the mountains.

"Don't slog in the bog. Get high on the ridges!" has been my hiking motto since age 21.

Photos:

Beautiful Spider Meadows, August 2016.

Hiking high ridges near Leavenworth, WA, June 3, 2018

I think it's easier the older I get. As you age, you not only gain wisdom but you also gain a solid understanding of who you are; there by qualifying you to decide who is a good match for you and who isn't. The combination of age and wisdom gives you the discernment to detect bullshit and ill intention so you can protect yourself.

I pretty much sucked when I was young and now as I am older. But part of my problem was to reject someone before they rejected me. Find some flaw, minor or otherwise. Someone recently reached out to me that was a bit out of my age range. I normally would have rejected her. She’s wonderful. Only a few dates and have no idea what the future holds, so living in the present and enjoying her company.
Sometimes we have to get out of our own to see what’s right in front of us

jab60 Level 6 June 7, 2018

Seems much harder at 54. I used to date a lot or I was married or in a serious relationship. Now I've been alone for many years. I think I have a better idea of what I want, I find it difficult to connect with men since I'm pickier, I don't tolerate BS, and I am not as social as I used to be. I find interests with friends, cooking, painting, reading, walking... but not a lot of going out where I can meet people. Plus living in Iowa, it seems to be mostly conservatives, even though I live in a liberal college town.

Yes. It appears that Iowa City has the majority of atheist women over 50. That age group is very religious here.

I am feeling wonderful about my current situation. I can see the patterens & mistakes i used to make, and feel free to make all new ones! Lol!

It's different.

Harder!

I think it's a bell curve

The more you know yourself, and what you want, is what may make it easier.
That, and believing that at any age you can meet someone !

This has been a new journey for me. I can't wait to see what happens next. ?

The curious thing about dating and age is there is no fixed formula. Generally speaking, I find women of all ages to be attractive, however, I am probably not in the majority when it comes to 50 year old Men. It seems that when Men reach a certain maturity level, they would like to recapture their Youth and many pursue younger Women. This is not by accident. Younger Women tend to be more fertile, and Men whether they realize or not, are hard wired to want to produce offspring with these younger Women. Younger women generally give birth to healthier babies than older women. It's all about maintaining the Human species. Clear and simple.

If you're lucky enough then you will get your chance to find out

I do wish I had the confidence I have now when I was younger. It is hard to date now. Women see that age "60" and its like your a perv. Women online can be so picky. Its not that I deliberately go for younger women but I am attracted to attractive women and many of them my age and older are not.

@Chars Sorry but I don't find women of my age who have let themselves go attractive. So shoot me

@Chars The last woman I met online had teeth missing and unbrushed hair and that was after months of trying to find anyone. I think I would rather be single

Harder, I used to never have less than three girlfriends at once when I was a young pup.

Three at one time? You’re polyamorous then?

@BlueWave I guess I was back in the day! Never occurred to me, I was just being single and enjoying it!

@LuckyCharms Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....I'm thinking we just have different ideas of "girlfriend." I was thinking committed relationships with three at one time. 🙂

@BlueWave Oh, heavens no, I am a one woman guy once I have committed 🙂

I used to think it would be easier, but at 66, going on 67, I think it is harder. First, most men and women are set in their ways at this age with homes, families, and friends. I see women I would like to date but almost always they are out of town and I stopped two relationships from developing due to long distances. I wasn't going to move and neither were they. Second, we have our beliefs and in many cases, the women I see on two dating sites I am on are, what I call, church bingo lovers. Not for me, just not my style. So I think it is hard at this age to merge two personalities, lifestyles, political beliefs, attitudes toward sex, and other world views together.

Good question.

Not sure about age, but it was way easier to meet people to date back in college

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:100972
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.