Agnostic.com

37 2

Do the holidays lift your spirits?

I'm wondering if non-believers enjoy the holiday season... so are the holidays a boost to your mood? Is the opposite true? Or, perhaps they have no major effect at all?

So, what is it for you?

silvereyes 8 Dec 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

37 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No, completely the opposite. This is just a depressing time of year that needs to go away. People pretend to be happy when really most are stressed out over spending money on materialistic shit or seeing people they really don't want to see, feeling pressured to buy things, partake in activities they could care less about, etc. The list goes on.

That is the truth!

Time off work always lifts my spirits, it gives me time to lift my spirits, usually rum.

Dav87 Level 6 Dec 23, 2017

If you're suggesting I should drink doubles I'm all for that!

No, but lifting spirits to my mouth lightens the holiday.... 😉

Lol

The holidays themselves don't lift my spirits. I'm indifferent to them. But, the time off work and the ability to spend it with family and friends does.

Duke Level 8 Dec 23, 2017

They do lift my spirit if i'm feeling good.

Does not impact me one way or another...

Yes... i love happy people...

It’s become a predictable storm for which I’ve learned to take cover! If there had been any significance, it passed with my grandparents generation… With no religious significance, I’ve allowed any ‘meaning’ to diminish to zilch. I did the Solstice 🙂

May not sound very exhilarating ... but this perspective alone gives me a satisfaction for having come so far as to shed the social chaos and view it as if through a microscope, or ignore it all together.. But I’ve earn it, after decades of forced social events at school, work related forced-festivities, the same with children and inlaws … finally, alone, it feels as though I’ve run the gauntlet and emerged free ~

Varn Level 8 Dec 23, 2017

As we are in the dark part of the year, like getting together with family and friends. Being with others makes me feel better. Just got home from my families get together. A lot of good feeling shared with them. 5 of 6 kids there. 10 of 13 grand kids, 2 of 2 great grand kids. A daughter who hasn't been there in several years made it. The other daughter is in Georgia. And they were all on good behavior. My wife's family tomorrow, and another group of friends on Monday. And the sun was up longer today, and more tomorrow.

Not really. I work for the holidays taking care of sick ppl and I don't have family....

Wow! Same here!

Not at all.

No real major effect, the holidays coming and going reminds me of the ocean, the holidays would be waves... temporary happenings.

Unfortunately they do not

They don't really do much for me now, but when my kids were little it was fun because they were so excited.

Just feels almost like another day, minus the annoying Christmas music.

I've always lifted my spirits myself. I've stopped doing that and now only lift my eggnog during the holidays. The rest of the time I lift my coffee or Coca-Cola.

For me, it's just an excuse to not go to work and to overeat. I feel neither uplifted nor downtrodden during the holiday season.

There's a lot I find charming about the Christmas season. The beginning of winter when the town is covered in snow is charming too, but it gets old. I somewhat enjoy buying presents. This year, though, I'm just not into it. I live alone, and have for many years. I don't have kids. My sister and parents live very nearby, so I get together with them.

To the question of whether it boosts my mood or depresses it, I guess I'd say it's a bit of a mixed bag. This year I'm Grinchier than normal.

No. I usually lift my own spirits. Well, unless the glass is too heavy. Then I have to ask for help.

only because I like Egg Nothing and rum for a month.

The time of the year that my head is in a heighten state of negativity and anxietythe Yule time is a good energy level but Christmas is bull shit

They have no major effect at all to me is just another day to go live through it again and over and again

Not really. To me they are jus tlike any other day of hte year, only the stores are crowded and if you put up with teh crowds you may find some nice things on sale.

Actually it puts me in a deep depression.

MoniB Level 6 Dec 24, 2017
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:10127
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.