Agnostic.com

19 2

What are your feelings on Christmas?

I like Christmas Spirit!!! What about you?

SilverLining_20 3 Dec 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

19 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Mixed feelings I'm.a Buddhist and transitioned a decade ago now.in Dallas lotsa advertising too much shopping and the false happy holidays dichotomy very competitive or its fabulous who.the hell knows right ?

The fly agaric mushroom is the real spirit of Christ and it's in south Texas

I spend Christmas like a one-man casket

seems harmless enough, makes a lot of people happy.

I have "observed" (rather than "feel"...I am a high-functioning Asperger's Syndrome person) and have concluded, that Christmas is much like Easter, the Fourth of July...in short, our culture's folk festivals. No need for non-believers to ignore or boycott them. Enjoy them for what they are...folk festivals not religious holidays.

I view it more as a day to be with my family and be off work more than anything. Plus I like giving gifts to my loved ones. 🙂

i have no feelings on it

About the same as they are any other day. I partake of all the stuff that goes along with it. This year we're doing a full blown Mexican traditional meal rather than the same old same old. Posole, enchiladas, tamales, tacos, enseladas, and all the rest of the goodies. After we're stuffed, we'll all gather in the living room, do some ghastly karaoke, then settle down to see what loot was left by the atheist elf -- we understand the boss is busy with other things this year.

Oh, I forgot to mention it's a pajama party as well.

For me it's a time of reunion. A time for family and friends to get together.

gearl Level 8 Dec 23, 2017

It a great reason to spend time with the family. How about you?

Columbus Day is a non-holiday because we now know Europeans had visited NA before him. But it's still a day off between Labor Day and Thanksgiving. Just wish Christmas would be moved to, oh, the end of February sometime. Just to spread 'em out.

godef Level 7 Dec 23, 2017

Nothing much any more. I have slowly moved through my life from believer to not sure to agnostic. I get together with family, though.

I enjoy much about it: the music, the idealism associated with it. I dislike the greed, selfishness, and overdone bling. I suppose the extremes are bound to be in evidence.

I love the baked goods! 🙂 I love smaltzy songs, and Christmas is the motherload of that. Put on some Perry Como and you're golden. There is actually quite a good bit of secular Christmas music out there. Kelly Clarkson's "Wrapped in Red" is a great example of a secular Christmas album (okay, there is one token song--"Silent Night" ). Honestly, most of the Jesussy songs I have little patience for, but there are a few classics I confess I find beautiful and just ignore the lyrical message. I like a bit of decoration, though going overboard is not my thing. No need trying to make the house visible from space. Mostly, decorating time is a needed reminder to me to tidy up the living space.
To those who smugly proclaim "Jesus is the reason for the season," I am always quick to point out that it's false. That Christmas traditions were pretty much all coopted from other cultures' traditions, that Christmas most certainly is not during the "lambing season" that the Bible claims is when Jesus was born (if he existed), that the tree is a pagan thing, that most of the stories are a jumble of folklore, not really religion, and that every culture creates some sort of mid-winter traditions to help people's morale during the cold, dark months. So just because Christianity barged in uninvited and laid claim to all things festive during this time does not give them legitimate claim. Call it Christmas, call it Solstice (yes, I'm aware of the actual date differences), call it Yule, call it whatever. I'm celebrating. You just won't find me at any Advent services.

Which Christmas Spirit? The Ghost of Christmas Past? The Ghost of Christmas Present? Or the Ghost of Christmas Future? 🙂

I'm fine with Xmas, but I don't have any strong feelings one way or another about it.

My in-laws made Christmas special-Finnish coffee cake, presents from LL Bean that last forever and a large family by the x-mas tree. After dinner we'd go ice skating on a local pond. That was my first x-mas as I was brought up Jewish.

If you take religion out of the whole thing, I kind of like it. Doing good things for people, being with those you love actually works for me.

Actually a complicated question. X-mas for me is a familial/cultural/societal holiday, not religious. It has also become so commercial that it ends up being less than "happy" or "merry" for that reason. Also, it seems to start (the season) earlier & earlier, so that when the day finally arrives you just can't wait for it to be over, sort of like election season!

I've been running on fumes since August; the Christmas break is giving me a chance to spend some quality time with my wife and our little doggie, Nora Mae. No feelings about the holiday itself.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:10128
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.