Agnostic.com

7 2

Love old books, I have a book; Harper's Family Library-lTitle: Family Library . Number XXXVII, entitled "Inquiries into the Intellectual Powers and the Investigation of Truth by John Abercrombie, M.D. F..R.S, published 1832

Very conservative in it' approach to subject matter but quite liberal (in contrast) in it's philosophy of educating children.

tommyknocker 2 June 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I've moved so many times in my life that I finally got rid of all my books. I had boxes and boxes and boxes... The Kindle is so much easier to move.

But how do you cradle, sniff and caress a kindle ??!!

I had an old book as a child by sir Sidney Smith called Mostly Murder about the start of Pathology - It was pretty gruesome reading but tantalisingly short stories I read it many times.
My father had a first edition of Alice in Wonderland that he carried into war it was all age spotted when he came back and sellotaped together - he must have read it over and over - I loved it!

jacpod Level 8 June 10, 2018

I have one of my father's old High School textbooks. It is amazing what was not known back then (pre Depression).

I have many books as old as 1700s ...

If you ever make it to the UK. Do visit Hay on Wye. They have a festival but all year round it is a town of book shops. It is to books what Vegas is to gambling.

I have just given my library of books to a great-nephew! (Painful). I had older books that had great wisdom in them, little of which is even contemplated in today’s modern society! It is as if, everything is being thrown out and a ‘start from scratch,’ to build a new society! Well, it appears there is a lot of new ideas that does not support human nature! And, it also appears at the moment...most people don’t care!

Painful isn't it. When I moved to Austrslia I left my books with a friend to be forwarded at a later date when I was settled. 11 years later still not settled, still no library! Try going to Project Gutenberg. Thousands of antiquarian texts available to download. Not the same as the smell and texture I know but the content lived on. The firemen of Fahrenheit 451 don't get us that easily!

Very cool. I’d have to make an art project out of it.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:101771
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.