Agnostic.com

12 6

LINK What Religion Gives Us (That Science Can’t)

No gods required.

skado 9 June 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It is just that religion is not real and when one knows it . Santa Claus will not show up.
Regarding science, perhaps you see it as cold and factual, but that is not the case. Listening to a number of theoretical physicist , you will quickly note the spiritual realm that lies in thought.
There is indeed an energy and we are all of it. Can we talk to trees, not in the human sense but energy between us is there. Just some good stuff to take home when you crash with bad news. What the energy is , is real, it is tangible, it is there. The religious god is just not there.

EMC2 Level 8 June 9, 2018

I struggle with the idea of “respecting” religious beliefs. Never reciprocated.

Fine discernment is rarely reciprocated.

The purpose of Science, is to understand the real nature and workings of the natural world. Religion has different functions It purports to have answers in all things, especially when it comes to human behavior and culture. So, why is this such a revelation, that religion does things that Science does not? Once I realized I was an atheist, I did wonder how to fill the social functions religion engages in, without a belief in a deity. That is why I checked out HCOF, Houston Church Of Freethought, an "Atheist Church". They have since folded. It's a quandary on how such things could be done. We do have other "secular religions". Organized team sports, for example. Some people worship music, TV and movie stars. And people go to Psychiatrists, for counseling. But, there really isn't many organizations with the specific purpose of filling the function of a religion, without the deity.

As you say, religion does many things, so a person has to first decide which of those s/he's interested in. I think trying to replace religion with something that is not religion is unlikely to meet with success. A better path, it seems to me, would be to discover what was real, and useful about religion, strip away the superstition and misunderstanding, and update religion to 21st century, scientific standards... and call it what it is: religion.

Some Eastern philosophies come very close to meeting this standard. We talk about it in the Dharma Café Group.
[agnostic.com]

Thanks for posting this. It is an interesting read. I formed my thoughts on religion early - at 11 or 12, not out of anger, fear abuse. I simply saw a strange dichotomy - one way at church and another away from church. As I grew up, moved away expanded by circle of friends and acquaintances saw some people needed their religion. All that is fine with me, just do not judge me for mine. Live and let live. Sadly the fight or flight instinct from fear overpowers any rational thought.

I thought this was an interesting article, as well.

An interesting read but I don't agree. I don't want superstitions to get me through the rough times. I live, therefore there must at times be suffering. But at 54, I look back at the worst times of my life and they are not without positives. They are the times I have grown as a human being. The love and support I received at the death of my young husband from fellow humanists could not have been more helpful had they been religious. In fact their love and support was all the more valuable because their motives weren't clouded by doing their 'christian duty'.

Lots of days off in a year, somewhere to go on Saturday or Sunday, a strict diet so that we don't have to debate whether to takeaway pizza or fish and chips on Fridays, justify not eating seafood, justify not eating cows, encourage slaughtering goats, not having to waste money on pointless unwanted Christmas or birthday presents, get time off at work to pray six times a day, jump into contaminated rivers in Asia without OH&S police getting on your case, be rude to Scientologists, the list just goes on and on...

Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

Faries

Security in herd mentality without the burden of THOUGHT

It’s something worth thinking about. Even if you disagree, I think that if possible we should support and respect everyone regardless of their religious sentiments. On the other hand, a certain amount of anger is to be expected from those who are fighting their way free.

We should ... But sometimes the nonsense is just too much especially when it comes to religious doctrines dictating interference with the physical integrity.

Delusion?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:102286
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.