Agnostic.com

14 0

Is Judaism dying...?

So many Jews seem to be turning "secular". Many are coming to the light side and claiming to be atheist or agnostic (or both). So... is Judaism going to be the first major religion to die out? Do you think it should be kept alive if only for historic purposes.

MrLizard 8 Dec 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

people leave judaism for lots of reasons but many do for the contradictions of the teachings... as jews we are to value all life. There is no out clause. However, israel values no palestinian lives and slaughters them with ease. It is contradictions like this that send some either to reform sects or away entirely. I worked with JVP for many years but finally left the religion. It's a tough sell to not worship false idols but tell your flock that they must worship a stolen land that they have no right to be in by jewish or international law.

I think it is changing and becoming more secular as a very rich culture rather than as a religion.

I don't know but might assume it struggles to maintain credibility.

No plenty of orthodox Jews around.

It's always been that way...

I myself was sent to Jewish school from 3rd-7th grade and they idealized orthodox Judaism. They encouraged the asking of questions and I'm not sure I'd be the person I am right now if I didn't have those experiences. I do think religions or religious texts should be stored for educational purposes though, that way people could see what people used to believe.

And everything is dying the universe will end someday and humanity probably a good while before that.

Christianity will see its demise before judaism does, if the data I have seen is right islam will be the last to go extinct.

Alan Dershowitz says yes

Source:

I would like cultural Judaism to survive. I like kreplach, knishes and chopped liver.

Dershowitz does go on...he makes me crazy ..I can't stand to hear him argue about collusion and Trump...I'll stick to Jeffrey Toobin. I like white fish, bagels, latkes and lox.I'm with you on the chopped liver too.

There are other articles. Ijust picked Dershowitz-tRUMP hater here-had lox and vv/creamcheee on bagel this am LOL

David Mamet is my top Jew. Dershowitz really does go on. And on.

Are you Jewish?

same here-totally cultural as I look at my x-mas tree

I doubt it. It’s so throroughly tied to Hebrew culture that I doubt it will ever cease to exist.

Judaism dying?...One can hope!

I don't think its dying. The town I grew up in Sharon, MA actually is about 75% Jewish now. Was about 60% back 20 years ago. Some ultra-orthodox families moved into town and there are 2 new temples. Meanwhile half the town moved to Boynton Beach/Del Ray/Boca Raton where my 90 year old mother lives.

Read my other response from Alan Dershowitz

Things very rarely die put completely. Given that they are the world's oldest faith and survived so much I think they will continue to survive.

>old things endure

I doubt that it dies out any time soon but it seems that it is becoming more irrelevant as a religion and just have cultural significance.

gearl Level 8 Dec 24, 2017

One positive point about Judaism is they don't proselytize and there are many opinions.. I know several Jews who are atheists, yet still practice the traditions of our culture and history.

Leah Level 5 Dec 24, 2017
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:10252
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.