37 1

I need a snappy comeback to "have a blessed day"

In south Georgia, waiters and cashiers at stores often say "have a blessed day" to me. It happened to me three times yesterday! I need a snappy comeback. I've tried "thank you, Jesus" and "thank you, father". I've tried "well, bless your heart" because that is sort of derogatory if you are speaking about a third person, but probably not if you are speaking to another person. I need suggestions!

37 comments

How about just "Thanks," since they are sending you friendly, positive thoughts, well proven to be effective, as shown in the placebo affect.

How about "Enjoy your day" ?

Thank you. You too. It was a gesture of good will, after all.

I agree with birdingnut. They are trying to be kind, why get snappy with that? Simply saying thank you and/or have a nice day too is best. By being snappy you make yourself look like an angry crusader.

I don't bother replying in a negative way; I realize that for believers that's their way of saying "have a good day"

Depending on context there are times I'll bring up my non-belief but thank them anyway, but most times I just say l tell them to have a good day as well

And may The Force be with you too.

I'm here,the universe has blessed m! Thank you for noticing!

i would say, "as the universe pleases" and be done with it.

And may reason shine on you?....kinda rough...but that's my gut response...luckly that's not a real common phrase in Indiana

They mean well. I have no problem with it. I don't say God Bless you when someone sneezes. I say bless you. There is a difference.

"You have a blissed day, too." smile001.gif

I say 'I's better than a cursed day'.

Just say...
”Oh no! All the blessings come tonight at midnight, after the sacrifice.”
Then just look at them as if your meds are just kicking in.

As several have already typed, a simple thanks and a smile go a long way. Friendliness has nothing to do with religion. I can call some of my friends shithead, but they know I do so with a smile.

I think a snappy comeback is not a good idea. Religious people already have negative stereotypes about us nonbelievers and this would just reinforce that.

I generally just ignore them. Just nod & walk away.

Go to hell

I like you already.

@Bobby9 thanks

"Thank you. I'm an atheist but I appreciate your sentiment."

"May your life prosper in the four blessings
of old age, beauty, happiness and strength"
--Secular Buddhist Blessing

hmmm....blessed be, lol.

In London we say Ta! its extremely short for thank-you and allows you more time to escape without mismaking yourself

Live in Joy!!

Namaste.

Thanks. Be kind.

Thanks. I'll take all the good luck you have to offer.
I guess that's better than being cursed.
Happy Halloween. (not on Halloween -- on Halloween, say Merry Happy New Year)
I hope you die the death you fear the most. (this is reserved for very special cases)

Write Comment
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content read full disclaimer
  • Agnostic.com is a non-profit community for atheists, agnostics, humanists, freethinkers, skeptics and others happy without religion!