39 0

I need a snappy comeback to "have a blessed day"

In south Georgia, waiters and cashiers at stores often say "have a blessed day" to me. It happened to me three times yesterday! I need a snappy comeback. I've tried "thank you, Jesus" and "thank you, father". I've tried "well, bless your heart" because that is sort of derogatory if you are speaking about a third person, but probably not if you are speaking to another person. I need suggestions!

By GeorgiaAthiest
Options Favorite Like

39 comments

How about just "Thanks," since they are sending you friendly, positive thoughts, well proven to be effective, as shown in the placebo affect.

birdingnut Level 8 June 12, 2018

Thank you. You too. It was a gesture of good will, after all.

ohnoudun Level 4 June 12, 2018

I agree with birdingnut. They are trying to be kind, why get snappy with that? Simply saying thank you and/or have a nice day too is best. By being snappy you make yourself look like an angry crusader.

dbass27 Level 4 June 12, 2018

How about "Enjoy your day" ?

nicknotes Level 7 June 11, 2018

"You have a blissed day, too." smile001.gif

Meep70 Level 7 June 13, 2018

I'm here,the universe has blessed m! Thank you for noticing!

Katnwizard Level 2 June 12, 2018

I don't bother replying in a negative way; I realize that for believers that's their way of saying "have a good day"

Depending on context there are times I'll bring up my non-belief but thank them anyway, but most times I just say l tell them to have a good day as well

WhatsInAName Level 6 June 11, 2018

And may reason shine on you?....kinda rough...but that's my gut response...luckly that's not a real common phrase in Indiana

Outside1967 Level 4 June 11, 2018

Oh LOL I smile015.gif that one! Hope I remember it when the time comes. haha!

They mean well. I have no problem with it. I don't say God Bless you when someone sneezes. I say bless you. There is a difference.

Sticks48 Level 8 June 13, 2018

Thanks. Be kind.

KateZilla Level 7 June 13, 2018

As several have already typed, a simple thanks and a smile go a long way. Friendliness has nothing to do with religion. I can call some of my friends shithead, but they know I do so with a smile.

Holysocks Level 7 June 12, 2018

i would say, "as the universe pleases" and be done with it.

Juliaann59 Level 3 June 11, 2018

I just take it as it is (in my opinion) meant -- to be nice. Their beliefs, being kind. No more.

Does it upset you? smile003.gif

YamaBlonde Level 5 July 2, 2018

I say 'I's better than a cursed day'.

xyz123 Level 6 June 12, 2018

I just smile and nod my head. They mean well.

bleurowz Level 7 June 12, 2018

Just say...
”Oh no! All the blessings come tonight at midnight, after the sacrifice.”
Then just look at them as if your meds are just kicking in.

Mortal Level 7 June 12, 2018

People say that to me all the time. I usually just say "you too!" as I walk away. I also have no problem saying Merry Christmas or blessing someone when they sneeze.

dani2382 Level 5 June 12, 2018

I think a snappy comeback is not a good idea. Religious people already have negative stereotypes about us nonbelievers and this would just reinforce that.

1cheapbastard Level 3 June 12, 2018

I generally just ignore them. Just nod & walk away.

DiamondLill Level 3 June 12, 2018

Go to hell

Qiru Level 5 June 11, 2018

I like you already.

@Bobby9 thanks

"Thank you. I'm an atheist but I appreciate your sentiment."

dare2dream Level 6 June 11, 2018

"May your life prosper in the four blessings
of old age, beauty, happiness and strength"
--Secular Buddhist Blessing

AlanWatts Level 3 June 11, 2018

[etymonline.com] Thank you but I've already sprinkled blood on my pagan altar

HappyPlace Level 2 July 2, 2018

May the blessings of the universe follow you for ever!

bandit321 Level 5 July 2, 2018

In London we say Ta! its extremely short for thank-you and allows you more time to escape without mismaking yourself

jacpod Level 7 June 18, 2018
Write Comment
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content read full disclaimer
  • Agnostic.com is a non-profit community for atheists, agnostics, humanists, freethinkers, skeptics and others happy without religion!