Agnostic.com

11 10

If your deeply held religious beliefs stop you from baking a cake for a gay couple, or selling them pizza, or taking their picture, then change your beliefs. If your beliefs were of any value, they wouldn't be preventing you from doing acts of kindness for other human beings.

Benthoven 8 Dec 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I got banned on Facebook for posting my views on Marks & Spencers page when they agreed with a muslim cashier that she didn't have to serve an old lady who wanted to buy champagne and sausage rolls. The said cashier has no problem, it seems, in accepting the part of her salary generated by such sales. But we are all so "tolerant" (read : scared of being called islamaphobic) that we allow such nonsense to happen.

I am an anti-faith, anti-theist and yet I have no problem saying: "I think Jesus would bake the damn cake!" (To be completely honest I saw this on FB) 😉

as a business owner, i think you should have the right to do business or not with whomever you choose, for whatever reason. i choose not to work for people that have a problem paying, or the type that is never satisfied with whatever you do for them. i am in business to stay in business, i could care less your race, sex, sexual preferences. but i don't think a court should have the authority to force a private business owner to work for someone they don't want to work for. if someone did not want to do work for me, i would find someone that does. i don't think i would want to eat a cake, that was made by someone that was forced to do it, hard telling what would be in it.

turf Level 5 Dec 26, 2017

I think to some degree, that's true. I see the signs, "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone." And inability to pay and bad behavior are legitimate reasons to refuse service. But beliefs are not. We all have beliefs, varying beliefs, and when we come the the public marketplace, those beliefs are not a valid reason to refuse service.

We have already determined that racism in the public square is unconstitutional, and now we're asking the question is bigotry toward gay men and women because of a biological difference in their sexuality is also unconstitutional in the public square.

That's why we have the public square.

When I lived in Brussels 40 years ago, with my Nigerian husband, there were still signs in the windows of apartments to rent that said "pas de noirs" (no blacks). Is it possible that someone could write a similar notice on their bakery window "No Gays"????

I've heard that baker interviewed. He truly believes he's doing the right thing for him, and is highly unlikely to change.

It is a warped love.

I suppose they view it as "the wages of sin" rather than an act of kindness. I forget who said it, but you can't reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into... Which is unfortunate.

This is a prime example of how convoluted their thinking is. On the one hand they can't associate with anything the Big Guy in the Sky says is an abomination or even moderately not acceptable. At the same time they are exhorted by His Magicness to treat their neighbors as they wish to be treated and to treat the stranger with loving kindness. As if that duplicity weren't enough, they are bound to save the 'unsaved' through bringing them to believe in the Sky Guy's kid for they surely don't want anyone to burn in the Lake of Fire.

The way they try to get around the first one is to say that they are not to aid and abet in any way abominable acts and that somehow baking/decorating a cake, catering a meal, providing photographs, providing flowers is construed as participation. That they are using their art and knowledge to help the perpetration of an act that their Father above the Firmament fervently frowns upon. Through a certain amount of mental gymnastics they can switch things around so that their refusal appears (to them) to be connected to loving kindness in some way. A humorous and logical extension of this reasoning would be for christian gun dealers to refuse selling guns to anyone so they won't become conspirators in the next mass shooting.

I have listened to their verbal sparring regarding conversion therapy for the gay community with amusement and consternation. They call this torture and an act of loving kindness too. I suppose one could say then that waterboarding is a kind way to extract information from a prisoner. They then have the nerve to associate it with tough love.

None of what they say makes any sense, but to them it is completely rational and logically correct. Unfortunately, many of the judges who hear these cases are also believers and tend to be sympathetic to their cause. So far we've been traveling on the more rational side of the law. Remember that dumb-dumb is appointing federal judges. Farther down the line things might not look so good.

Yeah that's a good way to put it I've heard of people avoiding these acts because it's against their religion personally if you look at it religions cause more hate and divided us more than anything else sad it's really really sad

Yes....thank you for saying so! Love, not Jesus, is the reason for the season. Happy holidays!

It's actually the earth's axial tilt.

Thanks for that clarification GoldenDoll.

Here here! EXCELLENTLY said! Can I quote it?

Zster Level 8 Dec 25, 2017

Of course.

This is true.

Boom. Thank you.

Duke Level 8 Dec 25, 2017
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:10542
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.