Agnostic.com

15 6

Because I am an atheist does it mean that I should disrespect or not knowledgeable other peoples beliefs? My opinion is no it does not. As I do not like, nor appreciate, believers trying to ram their beliefs down my throat, I do not try to convert them to my beliefs. I also believe that I do not betray my own beliefs by partaking in some of the rituals that others indulge in, of which one example is wishing others a merry xmas. When I was in Thailand my friend took me to a buddhist temple where I was happy to mimic his rituals of worship which for me had absolutely had nothing to do with buddism and everything to do with respect for him. Atheism is not synonymous with disrespecting others and their beliefs. I will leave that to the religious thank you.

Dale 4 Dec 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Most of us would agree to that. But what angers people usually is focused on religious abuse of power and wealth, not individual belief systems providing they are not causing harm to another human being or the planet. We do have to draw the line somewhere and stand up for what is right and the verifiable truth.

No of course not, how could you really be atheist with no religious knowledge. And the more knowledge you gain the more you can test your hypothesis

Half of life is finding out who the assholes are, sometimes I just go off on them, if it happens quickly or affronting, if I have a choice, I just get the hell away from the idiots and go on.

The point I would simply make here is not to confuse (as some religionists do) respect of the right of belief with respect of the belief itself. In classic liberalism people have the right to believe what they want, subject to certain constraints, for example expression of hatred, bigotry, violent intent, and so on face legal issues, but not the right to demand that their beliefs be respected. "Oh you are disrespecting my religion!.." You will hear if you challenge religionists. We may or may not like some aspects of beliefs, but we are not obliged to respect them. On Buddhism I used to live in Thailand and I've seen this religion in theory and practice. Some things I like, many things I don't like about this religion. It gets no blanket respect for me. I will say this: at least there are aspects of Buddhism I like. By comparison I loathe monotheism and there is nothing about it I approve of.

I definitely agree with all those points. When I took Philosophy 101 back in college years ago, our text said that we should discuss things rationally and respectfully, in order to understand each other's points of view.

I agree wholeheartedly!

Perhaps I am wrong, but are you saying that people on Agnostic.com shouldn't discuss the beliefs of the religious? I really don't see a problem as we are a group of agnostics and atheists in a fairly safe environment discussing our personal problems with religion and yes we may be disrespectful but we're not getting in religious folks face and calling them stupid. We're not trying to convince religious people they need to agree with us. I personally think religion is nonsense but I don't go door to door proclaiming that. Perhaps I'm completely off track in understanding what you are saying. I will just close with the idea that it is one thing to respect people's rights to believe anything they want, which I do, but it's another to respect that belief and I grant them the right to disrespect what I believe in which I know they do.

gearl Level 8 Dec 25, 2017

I posted this after getting pilloried for wishing people a merry xmas on this site which I followed up with a wish for a happy day with family and friends on xmas day.

@Dale I am sorry that happened. I don't know why. I've seen others doing the same. Sorry if I misunderstood. Happy belated Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and yours.

There are times when I go along with religious ceremony out of respect and politeness, too. I've never even questioned whether it compromises my own beliefs. I know with certainty that it does not. My mother's funeral was a Catholic service. I have a major axe to grind with Catholicism (largely thanks to her) but there's no way that would stop me respectfully attending.

There's no obligation to be evangelical as an atheist. Some religions may expect it (such as the JW's having to do the door knocking thing) but one of the nice things about being an atheist is that you get to make your own rules.

Atheism - "disbelief OR lack of belief [non-belief] in the existence of God or gods". That is ALL that Atheism is.

You sound a tad bit upset. Are you okay?

I am fine. Just a little perturbed for being pilloried for wishing people a merry xmas.

Awe.

@Dale - It's not a problem for me - I'm happy to receive your good wishes! I'm also happy to accept good wishes from everybody - please go ahead and a happy new year to you all.

I may not respect a belief, but I respect the right to believe whatever one wishes to believe--as long as no one is trying to use the government to force their beliefs onto others. If they are trying to do that, I will not sit silent.

I respect other people's beliefs and expect them to do the same.

I do not respect other people's belief. I respect their RIGHT to believe whatever nonsense the choose to believe.

I don't respect the many disgusting aspects of religious belief. I don't tolerate it either, if I can do so. I just acknowledge that people have a right to believe what they want, but they are subject to the law of the land and so don't have the right to act on it if it's unlawful.

I generally agree with your sentiment.

However, there's a difference between going into a Buddhist temple to meditate and clear your mind and sitting idly in an evangelical congregation, letting a preacher condemn people and lifestyles you have no problem with.

Of course it was easy for you to partake in Buddhist rituals. They are inherently passive and positive messages. It is not typical for those beliefs to be rammed down someone's throat as literal. I have heard of proselytizing Buddhists, but I think that's more of an exception than the rule.

Your belief system tends to inform your behavior and judgment. Have you heard of the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis? It's fascinating to read about. Basically, it just says that language is more than communication, its structure and patterns can affect our social structure over time.

I believe respect and disrespect have their places. If you are being a bully, I have the right to disrespect you. If you are expressing a lack of knowledge on something I have spent a lot of time learning, I have no problem educating you (and vice versa), even if our pride can make those situations uncomfortable.

forgo Level 4 Dec 25, 2017

I try not to disrespect anyone's beliefs. If a topic arises where I have a different view I will engage in polite discourse when possible and appropriate.

Generally I find that as humans we have much more in common than we have differences and sometimes the best option is to agree to differ and accept that we will not change each other's position and get on with getting on.

Street preachers and door knockers are fair game though! 🙂

Having watched movies from all over the world I can only agree with the idea of more commonality than differentiation between people.

"when in Rome ... ", that is, IF you wish to.

I agree, being a non-believer does not mean you can't also be a compassionate, considerate human !

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:10549
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.